Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: holy ghost on December 19, 2019, 01:18:14 AM
I finally saw Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. It'd been on my list forever. It was pretty good. Fucking bloated. Like this movie did not need to be three friggin' hours. But I enjoyed it! This movie could have cut half an hour and it would have been just fine.

It's been interesting to hear peoples opinions on this one. I've been watching Tarantino films since I was a kid under my parents dubious supervision. Some of them I love, some I don't like at all and I really didn't know what to expect with this one. but I really enjoyed everything about Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood to my own surprise! Probably as much as Pulp Fiction. I think probably because I could actually empathize with characters, especially DiCaprio's alcoholic, emotionally-stunted egomaniac. I could identify with that a lot. The that fact that it was long just meant more of something I was already enjoying. A lot like Blade Runner 2049 or The Revenant
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

absurdexposition

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on December 19, 2019, 04:57:29 PM
The that fact that it was long just meant more of something I was already enjoying.

Yeah pretty much the same for me. I don't think I would have liked as much if it was shorter. Enjoyed almost every minute. I might have said it in my initial review but the only detractor for me was Al Pacino.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

holy ghost

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on December 19, 2019, 04:57:29 PMIt's been interesting to hear peoples opinions on this one. I've been watching Tarantino films since I was a kid under my parents dubious supervision. Some of them I love, some I don't like at all and I really didn't know what to expect with this one.

I just re-watched Inglorius Basterds and that one I love every single second of it same with Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, From Dusk till Dawn, probably Death Proof as well. I could probably go without seeing Django again. I also apparently bypassed The Hateful Eight although I'd like to see it. Some make a mark and some don't. I definitely enjoyed it a lot. I would probably re-watch it in a few years and see what I think.

absurdexposition

I loved The Hateful Eight when I saw it in theatres but who knows what a rewatch will reveal. I need to rewatch his entire oeuvre, really.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

holy ghost

I think the thing about OUATiH is that the ranch/Manson Girls/Cielo Drive were so different than I had imagined them - and that's not to say it was inaccurate - but I've read a ton about Manson and I found it didn't match up with what I had going on in my brain. And I found that very disorienting. I think if I went back and did a re-watch I would take more from it.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: absurdexposition on December 21, 2019, 06:09:42 AM
I loved The Hateful Eight when I saw it in theatres but who knows what a rewatch will reveal. I need to rewatch his entire oeuvre, really.

I saw the Hateful Eight in theaters and thought it was very good. But when i rewatched it at home last year I actually liked it more because I could absorb more details since i wasnt worrying about unraveling the main plot.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

deutscheasphalt

The Lighthouse - pretty to watch, amazing acting by all (two), camera, effects, but similar to The Witch - highly aestheticized but almost nothing happened story wise (why?) Also don't really care if filmmakers make it harder for themselves by using older methods if the outcome is still meh. All the greek myth Prometheus shit is being post-hoc pulled out of ass to give the movie more credit. It was praised to high hell by critics, also for being fucked up and extremely psychotic and "crazy" (which it was not) therefore I expected a lot and was disappointed. Might be an unpopular opinion but that's okay. 7/10

Still need to watch Parasite, the Lars von Trier Kingdom series and Bergman's Scenes from a Marriage (TV version)

Atrophist

Watched Korine's "Beach Bum". First film of his with very little redeeming values to outweight his usual silliness. Matthew McConaghey wants to be Woody Harrelson, fails. Why do this type of characters in movies always have to wear stupid, ugly sunglasses to show how outrageous and inconventional they are?

DSOL

anyone else looking forward to Underwater?

I'm a sucker for creature flicks
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

aububs

never heard of it before but yes i'm now looking forward to that a lot. thanks for the heads up.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: DSOL on January 02, 2020, 10:37:22 PM

It looks interesting.  I think that I might rent it when it comes out on dvd.

I am currently looking forward to the new Grudge film.  I liked the others a lot, so hopefully the new installment will not disappoint.

EXU

Mindhunter season 2 was good, not as great as season 1. It peaked at the Manson episode to me but then just kind of crawled to the end, not exactly badly but unfulfilling. It regained a little strenght in the end tho.

Rick and Morty linda did the same.

DSOL

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on January 03, 2020, 02:55:03 AM

I am currently looking forward to the new Grudge film.  I liked the others a lot, so hopefully the new installment will not disappoint.

everything I seen about the Grudge film says it's absolutely terrible, I had a couple friends go see it last night and they almost walked out, they said it was that bad, and they like everything
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

Atrophist

Watched Zum Goldene Handschuh (sp?) last night. Mixed feelings about it — the filmography and whole approach was a bit too polished and clinical. Works for a film based on real events, I guess. Great performance from the main actor, and some of the female actresses.

The comparisons to The House that Jack Built make no sense whatsoever to me. This guy is about as far from some genius criminal mastermind as it is possible to be: no planning, no organization, alcoholic and apparently suffering from some mental/neurological issues. The portrayal of filth, misery and dysfunction in this film seems obviously a much more accurate portrayal of serial killers than the juvenile Hannibal Lecter fantasy of THtJB.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: DSOL on January 03, 2020, 06:38:05 PM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on January 03, 2020, 02:55:03 AM

everything I seen about the Grudge film says it's absolutely terrible, I had a couple friends go see it last night and they almost walked out, they said it was that bad, and they like everything

That is not a good sign.  I will just wait for it to come out on dvd, I think.