Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NaturalOrthodoxy

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on October 08, 2019, 06:27:13 PM
It's a shame that the rest of the move apparently could not live up to the quality of Phoenix's acting abilities.

pretty much my review. It was definitely super influenced by Taxi Driver, and also David Berkowitz too I think. There is some awfully unnecessary exposition as well, and a totally superfluous final scene. Overall better than it needed to be for a comic book franchise movie though

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: NaturalOrthodoxy on October 09, 2019, 06:20:48 PM
It's a shame that the rest of the move apparently could not live up to the quality of Phoenix's acting abilities.

pretty much my review. It was definitely super influenced by Taxi Driver, and also David Berkowitz too I think. There is some awfully unnecessary exposition as well, and a totally superfluous final scene. Overall better than it needed to be for a comic book franchise movie though

I guess that as long as it turned out better than you would have though, then it would be worth seeing.  I would still like to watch it, though hearing it fall short of the masterpiece it purported to be is disappointing.

martialgodmask

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on October 10, 2019, 11:04:00 PM

I guess that as long as it turned out better than you would have though, then it would be worth seeing.  I would still like to watch it, though hearing it fall short of the masterpiece it purported to be is disappointing.

It is worth seeing, the more I reflect on it the more I think I enjoyed it.

Hype movies are always setup to fall from a great height and this one is no exception, but I think it can be viewed on different levels depending what you personally want to get out of seeing it. It's miles ahead of superhero garbage but will always carry the stigma of being from the pages of a comic book. It's not aimed at kids, it's not even specifcally aimed at Batman fans.

I would be interested to know if it was made as a noir-thriller with no ties to anything (i.e. just a downward-spiralling guy struggling with life who happens to work as a clown) if it would be receiving the same reception. Maybe it would lose some of its audience, but maybe it would benefit from being unshackled from its "universe".

aububs

it's a pretty good movie it's just not as good as it thinks it is. bit pleased with itself. apparently they're doing a sequel

in other possibly more interesting news nicholas refn is making a maniac cop tv series!

absurdexposition

Had an amazing experience last night at the restoration screening of Crash during Festival du nouveau cinéma in Montreal, with Cronenberg in attendance for Q&A.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: absurdexposition on October 11, 2019, 04:31:05 PM
Had an amazing experience last night at the restoration screening of Crash during Festival du nouveau cinéma in Montreal, with Cronenberg in attendance for Q&A.

I am in constant envy of the films you get to see in theaters. Crash is a masterpiece.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

absurdexposition

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on October 11, 2019, 06:01:47 PM
Quote from: absurdexposition on October 11, 2019, 04:31:05 PM

I am in constant envy of the films you get to see in theaters. Crash is a masterpiece.

Definitely feel pretty lucky sometimes. I saw a few things in Vancouver while I lived there but Montreal has been great for this. Toronto is the real hot spot in Canada tho.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: martialgodmask on October 11, 2019, 12:22:17 PM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on October 10, 2019, 11:04:00 PM

I would be interested to know if it was made as a noir-thriller with no ties to anything (i.e. just a downward-spiralling guy struggling with life who happens to work as a clown) if it would be receiving the same reception. Maybe it would lose some of its audience, but maybe it would benefit from being unshackled from its "universe".

I think that there would be a good chance that making the movie that way would have turned out better.  You get to keep the interesting premise without being tied down by the expectations of fans or the restraints imposed by previous incarnations of the character.

bitewerksMTB

The Devil's Bride, The Blood on Satan's Claw, & some of Curse of the Demon.

Did anyone catch Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal  on Cartoon Network? It was pretty good. Lots of bloody dinosaur-caveman battles.

moozz

Would any one be able to tell me from which movie this image is from:

This image is the best part of the Cancer Spreading/Drunkards split 7". Looks like Russ Meyer's version of Mad Max!

ConcreteMascara

Moozz, I don't know what that image is from but those are some big ol titties, so now I want to know too.

Some this October I've watched only 1 horror movie all month. Normally I watch 3 a week or something close so I don't know what gives. to make up for it I watched Halloween 2 and Halloween (2018) with my girlfriend on Sunday.

Halloween 2 - I love this movie just as much as the original Halloween. it's all dead body art, nurse titties and children being killed and maimed. literally couldn't ask for more, but then it gives you a man on fire scene at the end.

Halloween (2018) - second time seeing this and it's still a 3/5 at best for me. some of the violence is wonderfully brutal, especially the whole gas station bathroom scene. but the last 30 minutes it all falls apart and there's some characters and twists that should've been cut for a tighter film. also, I'm pretty sure a Winchester 45 Long Colt is a lousy close quarters weapon and it's pretty dumb to walk into rooms to check them if you can just flip a switch and seal them without checking. but what do i know. I will say I really enjoy the between scene dialogue though. especially the two cops talking about the lunches they pack.

then last night I watched Shin'ya Tsukamoto's Tokyo Fist for the first time, despite it not being a horror movie. even though I had a mediocre rip of the film and my dog kept pestering me every 15 minutes to play, I could only submit to this films sheer excellence. I know some people here recommended it to me a while ago and all I can say is thank you. it's easy to say it's just Tetsuo: The Body Hammer but with boxing, but its so much better than that! the pacing, the visuals, the violence, the impotent rage and sexual politics. soooooooo good. got to get my hands on a Bluray copy to see it properly.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

holy ghost

Started "The Staircase" last night. Sort of your typical true crime HBO series on the first episode but I'm told it gets really fucking weird.

aububs

the staircase is great. fairly addictive. when you've finished it look up the "owl theory".

A-Z

Alchemik (1989)
an alchemist on a quest for transmutation of metals in the grim darkness of 16th century Eastern Europe
instantly goes into my "ren fair from hell greatest hits" stash along with Flesh+Blood & Mariken van Nieumeghen
won't spoil the ending, but it's HOLY SHIT 10 OUT OF 10 WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST SEE kind of awesome
one of the most pleasant surprise finds this year

DSOL

re-watched The Devils Rejects since I picked up the 3 From Hell Blu-Ray on Friday
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"