Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holy ghost

Quote from: aububs on June 06, 2019, 09:39:20 PMthey didn't get everything right, but for what it's worth i think this article is hugely unfair to the series, which was great

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/what-hbos-chernobyl-got-right-and-what-it-got-terribly-wrong

Thanks for sharing this - just finished the series last night, seems a little over-analytical given that you know, it's a television show and there has to be some room for artistic license/making the story flow -  Khomyuk was a composite character so I found the criticisms of her really amusing given you know, she didn't exist! Quite frankly I loved every second of this series.

ConcreteMascara

finally wrapping up the Hellraiser series, which has been goddamn painful for the last few. I guess the Cenobites are real because I feel tortured.

Monday night was "Hellraiser: Deader". between this and "Hellraiser: Hellseeker" it's hard to say which is worse but this was absolute trash. there were some good tits but otherwise it's painfully boring. my friend and I couldn't stay awake. filmed in Romania immediately before "Hellraiser: Hellword", which we watched last night. It was dumb as sin but at least fun. cool to see Lance Henriksen, the main chick was like a knock-off Sarah Chalke, and a young Henry Cavill (aka Superman) gets blown by an almost definite tranny. a big step up from the last two movies.

between those two shit-shows I watched the highly enjoyable "Female Convict Scorpion: Jailhouse 41" which was a feast for the eyes. not as violent or as titty filled as the first "Female Convict Scorpion", but visually it's amazing and the tone is even darker. recommended!
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: rocksoff on June 06, 2019, 04:06:42 PM
Sounds like Warner Bros didn't allow them to do much beyond remastering the film, as I'm pretty sure the bonus features are all carried over from the old DVD. I'm more into that Alice Sweet Alice release they announced.

Until a review comes out of the Arrow release, it's all speculation but if Arrow were able to transfer & remaster Cruising so it's the version that was originally released in theaters, they would have said so already, I'm guessing. I haven't watched the dvd in a long time so only remember the monkeying with the dance scene in the club.

Alice Sweet Alice is one I'm on the fence about. It's too long but that fat guy is really creepy. I'll probably grab it during a sale.

Just read a review of the new release of Fulci's romance film, New York Ripper. The screenshots look great! Sure hope Blue Underground announce Dead & Buried soon...

EXU

Ride the Whirlwind - Shot back to back with "The Shooting" (that I like a lot and will revisit soon) by Monte Hellman with a young Jack Nicholson on both this is less avant garde and more subdued. At face value it seems like an ordinary western, one more akin to spaghetty ones than the classic americans, more on the realm of Peckinpah than Ford I guess, but the emphasys on the "dead times" (cowboys pissing, eating beans, going up or down hills and playing checkers) establishes a more observational view to it. It is nihilistic without being grim and sober, nothing is learned and no one is saved, shit happens and there is no time for drama. The gunfights are never exciting, the hints of backstories never go further and the conflicts stay dead on the surface, things happen and people die and people run around clueless but this is all shown without ceremony and pomp. It will never be a classic but it is a great movie that will enrichen your experience as a viewer if you have patience and leave your guards down.

holy ghost

Venom - I did a lot of work in my garden and wanted something mindless after - it was literally unbelievable how shitty this fucking dumb movie was. Zero stars.

Fyre Fest doc on Netflix - should probably post in the documentaries thread but A+

Killing Eve - started watching Season II, forgot most of what happened and am re-watching Season I.

aububs

hah i enjoyed venom. i mean yeah it's shit. enjoyed it tho.

i watched the new brian de palma movie called domino. absolute sewage.

Hemwick

Quote from: aububs on June 10, 2019, 07:45:25 PM
hah i enjoyed venom. i mean yeah it's shit. enjoyed it tho.

i watched the new brian de palma movie called domino. absolute sewage.

I have a Brian de Palma movie I think it's called passion or something on those lines.  It has nomi rapace in it jesus is it awful and she got a horse face.

On topic watched the Gore trilogy. Goregasm, Goreritca and Gorewhore.  All great sleazy good times

EXU

The Lost Weekend - Very good tho a little dated, a little more on the melodrama side that I would appreciate and the drunkard is too pompous most of the time but still, Wilder can not make a bad movie. Must have been a gut punch on the 40's.

¿Quién Puede Matar a un Niño? - Ushered to the top of the "to watch" list in occasion of Narciso Ibáñez Serrador death, this is a masterpiece, and should be remembered among the greatest or at least second tier. My only problem with the movie is that the male protagonist doesn't seem too believable when they get to the island and he just doesn't get the fuck out of there and/or stay at all times with his pregnant wife but it was the way that the filmmakers choose to keep the plot going and since after that things get so terrific I can let that slide aside.

ConcreteMascara

Finally finished "The Fall" series from the BBC. only 18 episodes all together over three seasons but it took me 18 months. I really liked the way it ended and generally thought the last season was the best although that's apparently an unpopular opinion. Gillian Anderson remains incredibly hot and pleasant to watch as she tracks down a serial killer. I assume at the very least the first season would appeal to many people here.
[death|trigger|impulse]

holy ghost

I enjoyed The Fall immensely - I liked all seasons of it. Gillian Anderson was great in it.

Started Season 3 of The Handmaids Tale tonight. I really enjoyed the book in high school where it was in the curriculum and re-read it a few years ago, I didn't know if I'd enjoy the seasons after the ending of the book where it's taken on its own life but I really am.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: holy ghost on June 12, 2019, 04:01:47 AM
I enjoyed The Fall immensely - I liked all seasons of it. Gillian Anderson was great in it.

Started Season 3 of The Handmaids Tale tonight. I really enjoyed the book in high school where it was in the curriculum and re-read it a few years ago, I didn't know if I'd enjoy the seasons after the ending of the book where it's taken on its own life but I really am.

Re The Handmaid's Tale - I really enjoyed the first season and felt they should have ended it there. but when that much praise and money is getting thrown your way I guess it hard not to do another season? The second season was okay for a while but by the end I couldn't stand the main character. every time I saw her dumb face it just made me mad. and I thought the ending was ridiculous. but my girlfriend loved it and is currently really enjoying the new season so what do I know?
[death|trigger|impulse]

holy ghost

I mean I totally agree they should have ended it too after the first season - but it's at least better than most other shit out there when I want to shit my brain off.

I also started season two of Big Little Lies and after the first episode I'm already thinking they should have kept this to one season as well - really liked the first season a lot when I watched it last year. This one was like.... is this actually necessary?

DSOL

The Simpsons - finished season 2 over the weekend, half way through season 3 - will most likely watch up until season 12 because after that the show started to go downhill 
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

Hemwick

Quote from: DSOL on June 14, 2019, 04:03:30 PM
The Simpsons - finished season 2 over the weekend, half way through season 3 - will most likely watch up until season 12 because after that the show started to go downhill 

Couldn't agree more.  I got season 13 and its hit and miss.  But everything up to that like you said is worth it.  Been bringing on Seinfeld perfect show still holds up

holy ghost

I started The Deuce on HBO last night. I will admit I am typically put off by James Franco but the first episode was pretty friggin' great - if you like sleazy, greasy 70's New York.