Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

online prowler

Quote from: holy ghost on May 20, 2019, 05:19:41 PM
Quote from: DSOL on May 20, 2019, 04:24:46 PM
re-watched John Wick I & II, a little refresh before I go see the 3rd one
- I wish more cop shows had this noir/LA vibe to them.

True detective season 2

holy ghost

Quote from: online prowler on May 23, 2019, 11:05:35 PM
True detective season 2

Hmmm, I really tried with that one - I wasn't crazy about season 3 either. But thank you for your support.

I watched Pet Sematary last night - hadn't seen it since I was a kid. So goofy. There were a few great scenes. It's ridiculous to try to do a Stephen King novel justice since his whole write technique is characters grappling with their inner monologue. But hey seeing a 2 year old kid slash an old mans ankle really made my night.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: holy ghost on May 24, 2019, 02:46:58 PM
True detective season 2

Hmmm, I really tried with that one - I wasn't crazy about season 3 either. But thank you for your support.

I didn't think season 2 was as bad as everyone made it out to be but I do think it shouldn't have been "True Detective", it should have just been its own mini-series. and they should have done a lot less of those overhead highway shots. But I thought Season 3 was really great because it starts as what feels like a retread but then becomes its own thing.

Personally I've blown way too much $ on movies in the past few weeks. one of the new ones I got was Takashi Miike's "Fudoh: The New Generation" which was fucking bonkers. my friend and I kept asking ourselves how we had gotten this far in life without seeing it sooner. pretty much everything is nuts, but my favorite was the girl who can shoot darts out of a dart tube in her pussy. it's amazing and you need to see it to believe it. she later turns out to have a dick and fucks some other hot chick. tons of people die as violently as possible. it's great!
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Hemwick

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on May 24, 2019, 04:34:03 PM
Quote from: holy ghost on May 24, 2019, 02:46:58 PM
True detective season 2

Hmmm, I really tried with that one -

Personally I've blown way too much $ on movies in the past few weeks. one of the new ones I got was Takashi Miike's "Fudoh: The New Generation" which was fucking bonkers. my friend and I kept asking ourselves how we had gotten this far in life without seeing it sooner. pretty much everything is nuts, but my favorite was the girl who can shoot darts out of a dart tube in her pussy. it's amazing and you need to see it to believe it. she later turns out to have a dick and fucks some other hot chick. tons of people die as violently as possible. it's great!

I need to find a copy of this I forgot about it.  Full metal Yakuza was great with how wild it got but this sounds fun

EXU

TWO-LANE BLACKTOP - One of the greatest "pure cinema" masterpieces. I don't even care about cars and even if it's everything they do here you don't have to either. Warren Oates may be the greatest actor ever. Dennis Wison is pretty cool here and it is very sad that it's his only acting credit.

bitewerksMTB

Deadbeat at Dawn and Yakuza Law

Both are very highly sophisticated exploitation-action films. One from Ohio and the other from Japan. Everyone involved were well-trained actors with skilled directors using scripts without any screwy logic or stupidity. Both were released on Blu-ray by Arrow Films. I watched them Saturday night; DB first, then YL. I liked'em.

Hemwick

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 27, 2019, 04:25:31 AM
Deadbeat at Dawn and Yakuza Law

Both are very highly sophisticated exploitation-action films. One from Ohio and the other from Japan. Everyone involved were well-trained actors with skilled directors using scripts without any screwy logic or stupidity. Both were released on Blu-ray by Arrow Films. I watched them Saturday night; DB first, then YL. I liked'em.

Deadbeat at Dawn is one of my all time favorite films.  Jim Vanbeeber knows how to direct and his stunts are too notch.  Highly underrated

DSOL

binged the 1st 3 episodes of Chernobyl Friday night, waiting for episode 4 tonight
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

ConcreteMascara

Takeshi Kitano's "Sonatine" from 1993. I got the plots for this and "Hana-bi" mixed up when I picked this one but it was a happy accident since this movie was goddamn great. I've watched A LOT of movies in the last 6 months and this has to be easily in my top 3. I really loved Kitano's debut "Violent Cop" a while back, but this is even better than that. I guess it's his most praised film so I'm not saying anything new. It's enjoyable as a yakuza film, it's enjoyable as a character study, it's a nice way to see Okinawa, it's effective as a meditation on the desensitizing effects of violence, and the score by Joe Hisaishi is beautiful. If you're into Japanese film beyond the exploitation stuff it'll be hard not to like this.
[death|trigger|impulse]

absurdexposition

High Life, new sci-fi film from Claire Denis. I'm into her work (Beau Travail is great), and along with Trouble Every Day this one probably rounds out her top 3. A friend I went with summed it up nicely, "Solaris with a sex room."
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Hemwick

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on May 29, 2019, 06:38:06 PM
Takeshi Kitano's "Sonatine" from 1993. I got the plots for this and "Hana-bi" mixed up when I picked this one but it was a happy accident since this movie was goddamn great. I've watched A LOT of movies in the last 6 months and this has to be easily in my top 3. I really loved Kitano's debut "Violent Cop" a while back, but this is even better than that. I guess it's his most praised film so I'm not saying anything new. It's enjoyable as a yakuza film, it's enjoyable as a character study, it's a nice way to see Okinawa, it's effective as a meditation on the desensitizing effects of violence, and the score by Joe Hisaishi is beautiful. If you're into Japanese film beyond the exploitation stuff it'll be hard not to like this.

Sounds excellent.  The films you post are up my alley.  I've been diving into Asian Cinema over the past year and find it to be my overall favorite experiences with film.  How do you feel about. A Snake of June and Vital? I found them to be abosultey moving and masterfully crafted.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Hemwick on May 29, 2019, 08:00:59 PM

Sounds excellent.  The films you post are up my alley.  I've been diving into Asian Cinema over the past year and find it to be my overall favorite experiences with film.  How do you feel about. A Snake of June and Vital? I found them to be abosultey moving and masterfully crafted.

"Vital" is excellent. A really refreshing change of pace from Shinya Tsukamoto and one of my favorite films by him. Aesthetically it's extremely enjoyable, both the visuals and the way its shot and the colors. I generally like minimal dialogue and it works well in "Vital". You can see the through line of his themes in it, even if it's miles away in pace and focus from "Tetsuo" or "Bullet Ballet". "A Snake of June" I have not seen, though I own it and it's been sitting in my "to watch" pile for over a year.
[death|trigger|impulse]

Hemwick

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on May 29, 2019, 10:05:38 PM
Quote from: Hemwick on May 29, 2019, 08:00:59 PM

"Vital" is excellent. A really refreshing change of pace from Shinya Tsukamoto and one of my favorite films by him. Aesthetically it's extremely enjoyable, both the visuals and the way its shot and the colors. I generally like minimal dialogue and it works well in "Vital". You can see the through line of his themes in it, even if it's miles away in pace and focus from "Tetsuo" or "Bullet Ballet". "A Snake of June" I have not seen, though I own it and it's been sitting in my "to watch" pile for over a year.

I would say A Snake of June is one of my favorites by him.  The color scheme in it is perfect and fitting.  It's up there with Vital for me, still need to get Bullet Ballet.  I got a pile of movies to go through and watch too it's great to have an unending supply of films to watch.  Going to rewatch Marebito tonight, it's been awhile since I watched it and I remember just being floored after my first viewing.

Hemwick

Instead of Marebito, watched Altered States.  This is a perfect film.  I remember watching it for the first time in high school and having my mind blown and almost 20 years later the same effect.  So much iconic imagery I can see why so many bands use it in album art and love performance.  One of these days I'll track down Layer of the White Wyrm it's been awhile since I seen it but I do remember enjoying it. 

moozz

Another great Tsukamoto movie is Haze. A short film (under one hour) about a guy who wakes up in a concrete crawlspace and has no idea what's going on. Extremely claustrophobic.