Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strangecross

Pet Semetary is one of my favorite horror films of the 'classics' in this vein. The sister was played by a man which really boosted the character...maybe a notable actor I forget.

bitewerksMTB

Roadkill: The Last Days of John Martin-  watched it while looking through the Deadbeat at Dawn bd released by Arrow. Gory short film about a beer-swilling murderous cannibal obviously influenced by TCM, it even mimics the music for a few seconds. Also, the trailer for the never-made gore film, Chunk Blower co-written by the late Chas. Balun. Still holds up & looks fun. Too bad it was never made.

That kid wielding the scalpel in P.S. is a riot!

collapsedhole

i saw they are re-making pet semetary, blasphemous.

i have always thought a prequel based around fred gwynn's character of judd would be awesome, especially his early life... like who was 'the rag man' who introduced him to the place? have thought about this in detail many times through out life. 

Hemwick

Quote from: collapsedhole on May 11, 2019, 03:12:07 PM
i saw they are re-making pet semetary, blasphemous.

i have always thought a prequel based around fred gwynn's character of judd would be awesome, especially his early life... like who was 'the rag man' who introduced him to the place? have thought about this in detail many times through out life. 

Well the remake came out and got mixed reviews and q prequel is in the works so fingers crossed the prequel is actually good.  The mainstream movie market will probably mess it up sadly

EXU

Hemwick

Watched David Cronenberg's Spider. Fantastic film highly recommend this to anyone that enjoys psychological films. 
Also watched Prom Night (1980) haven't watched since I was I'm high school so it's been while haha.  Loved it I dig a killer with charisma. 

Peterson

Quote from: Hemwick on May 14, 2019, 11:01:28 PM
Watched David Cronenberg's Spider. Fantastic film highly recommend this to anyone that enjoys psychological films. 

Oh, fuck yes! Miranda Richardson just totally stole the show in that one. But excellent all around. Very faithful to the great Patrick McGrath novel on which it's based.

Hemwick

Quote from: Force Neurotic on May 15, 2019, 02:10:49 AM
Quote from: Hemwick on May 14, 2019, 11:01:28 PM

Oh, fuck yes! Miranda Richardson just totally stole the show in that one. But excellent all around. Very faithful to the great Patrick McGrath novel on which it's based.

I'm going to hunt down the book.  Hell yeah it did, Ralph was untouchable too, his performance was very moving and unsettling. I had it for months and never watched it and on Sunday I had nothing to do so I sat down and watched and was blown away.

EXU

The Dirt - Fun movie, LoC is funnier and the the subject interests me way more (my interest of Mötley Crüe is basically non existent) but is very well done, doesn't take itself seriously and the Jackass director knows how to handle the dirt of it all - actually not THAT dirt I think. I hope these kind of (actually good) band biopics pop up more often now.

Hemwick

Quote from: EXU on May 15, 2019, 03:12:25 AM
The Dirt - Fun movie, LoC is funnier and the the subject interests me way more (my interest of Mötley Crüe is basically non existent) but is very well done, doesn't take itself seriously and the Jackass director knows how to handle the dirt of it all - actually not THAT dirt I think. I hope these kind of (actually good) band biopics pop up more often now.

LOC was atrocious and I'm not even a huge fan of those bands.  With all the hype I figured the murder and suicide scenes would have been more brutal but in my opinion they were so tame

EXU

Quote from: Hemwick on May 15, 2019, 03:56:28 AM
Quote from: EXU on May 15, 2019, 03:12:25 AM

LOC was atrocious and I'm not even a huge fan of those bands.  With all the hype I figured the murder and suicide scenes would have been more brutal but in my opinion they were so tame

I thought they were great. They are quite gory for the movie style presented, actually breaking the atmosphere when they come up and not over glorifying it in my opinion (the constrast with the way the movie shows the church burning is pretty cool in my book). The impact for me was in how they were kind of stretched and agonizing instead of "wam bam thank you m'aam", so they work on another level of brutality. I really liked LoC and don't expect people here to get on the van with me but it's mixing of irony/mocking/nostalgia and some true interest and even empathy with the subject was a surprise. As a recreation of the times alone it feels very detailed at least. Not a masterpiece but 4/5.

deutscheasphalt

bitewerksMTB

A few nights ago, it was The Raid: Redemption & before that was Dragged Across Concrete.

T.R. is almost non-stop violent mayhem in an Indonesian high rise apartment complex controlled by a drug gang. I have the second film but it's the censored, R-rated cut. The uncut version has only been released in the UK of all places. If it's as intense as the first film, I'll have to import a copy.

D.A.C. is a bit too long & isn't a great as some believe but it ain't bad. It's doesn't FEEL long, I don't recall being bored at any point. Mel Gibson does a good job & the final 30 minutes or so is pretty good but the very last scene is useless. I may have to check out the director's second film starring Vince Vaughn if I can find it cheap.

Hemwick

D.A.C. is a bit too long & isn't a great as some believe but it ain't bad. It's doesn't FEEL long, I don't recall being bored at any point. Mel Gibson does a good job & the final 30 minutes or so is pretty good but the very last scene is useless. I may have to check out the director's second film starring Vince Vaughn if I can find it cheap.
[/quote]

His second film with Vince Vaughn is pretty good. Rented it a while ago when it came it and its worth a viewing.  I really dug Bone Tomahawk with Kurt Russell more and bought it for cheap.  It's a really good and gritty western

Theodore

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 16, 2019, 02:17:14 AM

I am not a guy needing good ends but the end of that movie left me a bitter taste -i would prefer something more fair- and the very last scene made me angry. Got bags, he shared some pieces. Dont bother at all motherfucker. Asshole !
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"