Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakaristi

aububs

You Were Never Really Here was one of the best movies released last year imo

Strangecross

Quote from: aububs on May 04, 2018, 10:02:45 PM
Death Warmed Up is another good one altho it's from new zealand (same thing). it's from 1984 and about a guy who is brainwashed to kill his parents by a mad scientist, gets locked up in a mental asylum for 7 years, and then gets out and goes to take revenge on the mad scientist who is now living on a remote island doing experiments on humans. it has zombies, motorbikes, and a lot of gore
oh, was that the plot?

aububs

Quote from: Strangecross on April 24, 2019, 10:27:37 PM
Quote from: aububs on May 04, 2018, 10:02:45 PM
Death Warmed Up is another good one altho it's from new zealand (same thing). it's from 1984 and about a guy who is brainwashed to kill his parents by a mad scientist, gets locked up in a mental asylum for 7 years, and then gets out and goes to take revenge on the mad scientist who is now living on a remote island doing experiments on humans. it has zombies, motorbikes, and a lot of gore
oh, was that the plot?

i guess so

been a long time since i saw it

EXU

Might contains spoilers (but it's not like it is some very important shit like GoT or A:Endgame so don't worry too much):

NIGHT OF THE CREEPS - Charming and enjoyable comedic horror that is so 80s it will make you puke hairspray or something. It has it's own pesonality, but beware because it's that of a 16 year old smartass white nerd, but in the end the annoying bits are always left behind fast and replaced by cool stuff and true love for the horror genre, to the point of being extremely silly with it.

JIGOKU - Psychdelic gore melodrama. Lots of screaming and jazz, and sometimes screaming over jazz, and a little more screaming. Religion meets LSD on a japanese "mexican soap opera". AKA Shiro Must Suffer And Everyone Is a Miserable Sack of Shit. Pretty good stuff but I haven't fully digested it (and perhaps never will) but two things are sure: 1) It is a very powerful movie and even if it reaches absurd levels that make you laugh it also punches you in the stomach a lot 2) The rules to go to hell are not so clear so basically everyone and their unborn babies are fucked.

acsenger

Watched both Blade Runner movies over the last couple days. I absolutely love both. The visuals and atmosphere are stunning, and the soundtrack of 2049 is also great (although I don't have a problem with the Vangelis soundtrack of the first movie either).
And of course, the story is excellent. I generally don't care for sci-fi, but I'll have to read the Philip K. Dick novel on which B.R. is based.

DSOL

went on a Tommy Lee Jones kick and watched Volcano, No Country for Old Men, Double Jeopardy, The Fugitive & U.S. Marshals
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: acsenger on April 29, 2019, 12:03:30 PM
Watched both Blade Runner movies over the last couple days. I absolutely love both. The visuals and atmosphere are stunning, and the soundtrack of 2049 is also great (although I don't have a problem with the Vangelis soundtrack of the first movie either).
And of course, the story is excellent. I generally don't care for sci-fi, but I'll have to read the Philip K. Dick novel on which B.R. is based.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is not one of PK Dick's best works and it's very different in many ways from the movies. I think this is one of the few examples where the adaptation is better than the source. But PK Dick has a lot of other really good books so don't let DADoES? keep you away. I think there might even be a thread about the Dick here on the boards. he's definitely been covered in the "now reading" thread.

[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

holy ghost

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on April 29, 2019, 04:39:56 PM
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is not one of PK Dick's best works and it's very different in many ways from the movies. I think this is one of the few examples where the adaptation is better than the source. But PK Dick has a lot of other really good books so don't let DADoES? keep you away. I think there might even be a thread about the Dick here on the boards. he's definitely been covered in the "now reading" thread.

I enjoyed it but probably would have liked it more had I not seen and been such a huge fan of the film which I agree - totally different and more enjoyable than the book - A Scanner Darkly and Man In The High Castle are my top PKD choices. I still need to see the new BR film, boy have I slept on that!

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: EXU on April 29, 2019, 06:49:38 AM
Might contains spoilers (but it's not like it is some very important shit like GoT or A:Endgame so don't worry too much):

JIGOKU - Psychdelic gore melodrama. Lots of screaming and jazz, and sometimes screaming over jazz, and a little more screaming. Religion meets LSD on a japanese "mexican soap opera". AKA Shiro Must Suffer And Everyone Is a Miserable Sack of Shit. Pretty good stuff but I haven't fully digested it (and perhaps never will) but two things are sure: 1) It is a very powerful movie and even if it reaches absurd levels that make you laugh it also punches you in the stomach a lot 2) The rules to go to hell are not so clear so basically everyone and their unborn babies are fucked.

Which Jigoku did you watch? the 1960 Nobuo Nakagawa version or the 1999 Teruo Ishii remake? I haven't seen either but the original always tempts me when Criterion has a sale and the later is one of Ishii's last films. I'd be interested to hear how they compare.

Speaking of Ishii, last night I finished The Blind Woman's Curse which was one of the most fun movies I've watched in a while. a slap-dash mixture of ghost story, ninkyo eiga and Ishii's brand of weirdness. Things move fast and the plot can be little confusing early on, but if you watch yakuza flicks with any regularity you'll be able to keep up. there's a lot of violence, a fair amount of titties, interesting characters, a weird undefined time period, awesome interior design and trippy panted back drops. oh and of course Meiko Kaji.

a bunch of Teruo Ishii's films are free to stream on Amazon Prime right now, including the The Blind Woman's Curse so if you're interested peep them there.

then my buddy and I watched The Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich which was pretty dang good! I thought the comedy bits were mixed in well enough and there were a couple of unexpected bits that kept things interesting. the original Puppet Master moves at a glacial pace in comparison to this which starts at 50 and goes to 100 within 20 minutes. it's gory as all hell and the dolls are controlled by a Nazi instead of being made by an old Jewish guy, so surely it would win over some of the people here. there's also some nice titties and Barbara Crampton is pretty great in her limited screen time. it's definitely worth a watch!
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

EXU

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on April 29, 2019, 05:07:54 PM
Which Jigoku did you watch? the 1960 Nobuo Nakagawa version or the 1999 Teruo Ishii remake? I haven't seen either but the original always tempts me when Criterion has a sale and the later is one of Ishii's last films. I'd be interested to hear how they compare.

The original, wasn't aware of the the Ishii one, that's a filmmaker I am not familiar at all with. I would go and say it is worth purchasing, it's one of those movies that feels like you did something very important by watching it in a way you can't seem to grasp exactly why, putting aside how ahead of time and unique (even now perhaps) it is. Also psych gore with a lot of screaming and jazz, man.

EXU

Quote from: DSOL on April 29, 2019, 03:53:11 PM
went on a Tommy Lee Jones kick and watched Volcano, No Country for Old Men, Double Jeopardy, The Fugitive & U.S. Marshals

Have you ever seen "The Hunted" from Friedkin with Del Toro opposite to TLJ? I find it such a good movie but no one talks about it ever. It's like U.S. Marshals with a knives fetish.

DSOL

"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

bitewerksMTB

The knife fighting in The Hunted is pretty good. I recall seeing an interview around the time of release about the training they underwent for the skill.

Saturday night I watched The Incubus released by Vinegar Syndrome. I would say it is one of the very best they have released but not in transfer quality, just the movie. Wild early '80s horror. Not super gory but decently violent mixed with sleazy details about destroyed uterus', dry intercourse, and large amounts of sperm. Highly recommended!

FallOfNature

Scalps
Another case of the movie poster / cover being way better than the movie. It's Fred Olen Ray so I wasn't expecting too much and that was exactly what I got. Lacklustre. 88 films blu is pretty bad, too. His dull horror comedies are much better.

Slime City Massacre
Debbie Rochon...cameo from Lloyd Kaufman...A woman dissolves into a pile of sludge in a bathtub and gets off when some dude dips his hand in it. If that doesn't tell you anything I don't know what will. Apparent sequel to Slime City, but you're better off just watching that twice.

Incubus sounds right up my alley, and I'm overdue for a VS order. Gotta grab that Mausoleum blu ray too.