Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConcreteMascara

After the recent disappointment of Sacrifice! aka The Man From Deep River my friend and I watched Cannibal Ferox as our first ever proper cannibal exploitation film. While it certainly had its ridiculous aspects, it was actually a lot more coherent than I expected. the dialogue was especially better than what I expected. but who gives a shit, we're here for the castration and cannibalization, which Ferox provides. still could have gone for more violence but I wasn't unsatisfied. it's also pretty easy to see why this film influence a shit load of metal bands.

also watched Halloween 2018 which was way better than I expected. while there's a lot less of the peek-a-boo / stalker vibes of the first 2 films, there's still some of that. and for what it lacks in stalking it makes up for in fairly brutal gore. especially liked a sequence involving a gas station bathroom, teeth and some podcasters. also one of the lead character's friends is way hot. too bad she wasn't the lead. every time it started to feel too "modern horror" for my taste it would kick back into a gnarly gear. definitely a Halloween film I'll revisit.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

holy ghost

I recently watched that Halloween movie - actually a lot better than I thought it would be.

We were pretty bored the other night and watched King Arthur on Netflix as the guy from Sons of Anarchy was the lead - thinking - maybe it'll be so bad it's good - nope - it was so bad it was unwatchable. And it lost 150 million dollars! What a fucking pile of shit. That dude is the fucking worst actor.

aububs

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: holy ghost on April 08, 2019, 07:41:51 PM
We were pretty bored the other night and watched King Arthur on Netflix as the guy from Sons of Anarchy was the lead - thinking - maybe it'll be so bad it's good - nope - it was so bad it was unwatchable. And it lost 150 million dollars! What a fucking pile of shit. That dude is the fucking worst actor.

I feel for you. I saw that movie as well a year or two ago and it was fucking painful.
[death|trigger|impulse]

A-Z

Dr. Caligari (1989)
a nice overstylized piece of mindfuckery more or less on par with the usual suspects from the weird film department
not exactly a masterpiece and at times comes off as trying too hard, but some sequences are pretty ace

monster ripper

Quote from: A-Z on April 11, 2019, 04:04:24 PM
Dr. Caligari (1989)
a nice overstylized piece of mindfuckery more or less on par with the usual suspects from the weird film department
not exactly a masterpiece and at times comes off as trying too hard, but some sequences are pretty ace

Has this ever been officially released on DVD?  why is there not a Rinse Dream box set available??

DSOL

Blade-  Wesley Snipes has a hybrid human/vampire, what's not to like

Blade II
-more could have been done with the plot on this one, interesting concept but did not deliver all that great, still a good movie
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

A-Z

Quote from: monster ripper on April 11, 2019, 05:24:05 PM
Quote from: A-Z on April 11, 2019, 04:04:24 PM
Dr. Caligari (1989)

Has this ever been officially released on DVD?  why is there not a Rinse Dream box set available??

http://www.excaliburfilms.com/adultdvd/91084D1_Dr_Caligari_dvd.htm

ConcreteMascara

Watched The Beyond again last night with the commentary track from Catriona MacColl and David Warbeck. really good stuff. hilarious and insightful in equal amounts. if you're a fan of the film or Fulci generally I highly recommend checking it out. I think all versions of it from the Grindhouse Releasing DVD onward have it.

This past Tuesday was Phantasm 2 for the first time. Very different vibes from the first film, more action than horror but entertaining as hell. And one of the two chicks in it is a real qtpi.
[death|trigger|impulse]

holy ghost

Re-watched Christine and really enjoyed it. Re-read the book recently and it was great, movie was lots of fun but couldn't stand up to the book which was absolutely killer. Planning to the the rest of the John Carpenter flicks I haven't seen in a while.

absurdexposition

Quote from: holy ghost on April 14, 2019, 01:59:58 AM
Re-watched Christine and really enjoyed it. Re-read the book recently and it was great, movie was lots of fun but couldn't stand up to the book which was absolutely killer. Planning to the the rest of the John Carpenter flicks I haven't seen in a while.

In my recent Carpenter binge a few months back Christine was definitely one of the highlights. It was my first time seeing it and I was pleasantly surprised. Might be his one film in touch with true emotion.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

EXU

Quote from: absurdexposition on April 14, 2019, 05:05:39 AM

In my recent Carpenter binge a few months back Christine was definitely one of the highlights. It was my first time seeing it and I was pleasantly surprised. Might be his one film in touch with true emotion.

Well, there's Starman too perhaps...

Strangecross

Marketa Lazarova Just as masterful as Tarkovsky, Herzog, Bergman- whoever. Insight into state of mind in middle ages (with some allegory and added intelligence) is equally matched by filming locations and other production. I've never seen a period piece this impressive.
Christianity and Paganism bumping heads, both are god fearing, the difference is just ideas of justice and law and social order. 2 hours 45 min.  11/10

bitewerksMTB

Galaxy of Terror last night. Enjoyable, ridiculous, terrible, gory Sci-Fi from Roger Corman.

Received Incubus a few days ago released by Vinegar Syndrome. I remember it being rather sleazy horror so looking forward to it and I have Arrow's new release of Andrea Bianchi's Strip Nude for Your Killer on the way.

Strangecross