Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DSOL

did you like Brawl in Cell Block 99? (same director as Bone Tomahawk)

I thought The Dirt was pretty amusing
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

DSOL

The Night Comes For Us- finally watched this last night, if you're a fan of Brawl in Cell Block 99, you will really like this movie

A-Z

The Spider Labyrinth (1988)

an italian supernatural mystery/horror with lovecraftian undertones
imdb lists argento as the main influence besides lovecraft, and it indeed shows
i'd also add gordon & yuzna... maybe not direct influences, but the attitudes are quite similar
got all the right goodies, such as gory violence, disturbing practical fx, loss of sanity, gratuitious nudity, ancient evil cults and screenplay stupidity
overall, a very satisfying b-movie
quite surprised i never encountered it before

bitewerksMTB

The Spider Labyrinth is one I have always wanted to see. I was thinking there was something about a future Blu-ray release but I may have imagined it.

Final Exam and Night School- both mediocre slasher films from '81. Very tame, not much gore. F.E. has a couple okay scenes. The only thing in N.S. is some mild nudity from Rachel Ward.

The Changeling- classic haunted house flick with George C. Scott. Kinda looses it towards the end but lots of cool sound efx, camerawork, cobwebs, etc. Severin's blu release is well-worth owning if you're fan of The Haunted, etc. The only issue is people claim the Dolby 5.1 audio track is missing some dialogue & has repeated effect sounds so just choose the plain ole stereo track the movie was made with.

moozz

Nude For Satan
Mysterious Italian suspense from 1974. Not entirely sure what the movie was really about. A "couple" ends up in a castle where they bump into alternate versions of each other. Doesn't seem to make much sense but Rita Calderoni as the leading lady was a pleasure for the eyes. This movie has what is probably the shittiest fake spider in the history of cinema. Fulci's The Beyond has hyper-realistic spiders compared to this. The version I watched had some XXX footage inserted into it: a few blowjobs, pussy rubbing and a candlestick "rape". And a lady with a freaky ribcage.

ConcreteMascara

Sacrifice! AKA The Man From Deep River (1972) - I got this BluRay for free when I won a raffle a few months back. Having never watched a single cannibal exploitation flick I thought oh this will be a great start. I came to it looking for hardcore gore and instead got the Italian exploitation precursor to Far Cry 3's plot. The cannibal aspect of the films occupies about 5 minutes in total. Instead it's about a white dude getting captured by a Thai tribe, making the Chief's daughter super horny, and his subsequent fucking and killing into the tribe's warm, cuddly heart. and then just shit loads of animals getting murdered. a very exploitative version of NatGeo, but with way more titties and fake blood. I've seen worse, but my disappointment was exponentially increased since I was expecting 90 minutes of white people being eaten.

on the other hand, showed my girl Fulci's Zombie AKA Zombi 2 for the first time and that one never gets old. new 4K bluray look insanely good too. And Frizzi's theme is still one of the best.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

bitewerksMTB

Stone Cold Dead- Canadian crime-thriller from 1979 that has all the ingredients to make a sordid classic but the movie runs too long and too slow. You do get a serial sniper, prostitutes, pimps, drug addicts, strippers, lots of street scenes of massage parlors/grindhouses/adult theaters, etc. Definitely worth checking out if it's cheap. My blu was around $10 shipped off of eBay.

Sticking with a similar theme, Gary Sherman's Vice Squad is being released on Blu this summer!

dodecaphonic

EXU

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on April 05, 2019, 04:43:34 PM
Sacrifice! AKA The Man From Deep River (1972) (...) disappointment (...).

I saw two other of the Lenzi cannibal flicks (Cannibal Ferox and Mangiati vivi!) and they are both turkeys, I guess I was expecting too much after Cannibal Holocaust but then I've never seen a Lenzi movie that wasn't bad, even if some are amusing in the right state of mind (La Casa 3 and Da Corleone a Brooklyn come to mind). I've never seen any giallo from him tho.

Acne

Night Breed - What a fun lil movie - good physical effects and a cool story, loved the variety of freaks. Cronenberg was a really great bad guy in it, most of the acting was nice and campy.

A-Z

The Stepfather (1987)

been a while since i watched this last
so i remembered it to be good, but forgot just how good it was
great screenplay by Don Westlake + stellar performance by Terry O'Quinn = a freaking classic
Jill Schoelen's character also adds a lot, this film wouldn't be the same without her

bitewerksMTB

Choke- based on the book by the author of "Fight Club". The book is good, I think? Seems like I liked it more than the movie. The movie has it moments but seems like it could have been much more.

Another Son of Sam- one of those Something Weird movies. I mostly forwarded through it. It's junk only worth watching if there's nothing else around. Oh, and it has nothing to do with the Son of Sam.

Just started Who Can Kill a Child? which is a Spanish classic.

absurdexposition

Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

DSOL

The Fly- (Cronenberg), still some of the best special effects ever.