Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

online prowler

10 to Midnight (1979).

A mean Charles Bronson in dark cop film. Well-crafted psycho killer feast recently re-issued to bluray by Shout Factory. Get it. Actor Gene Davis who played DaVinci in Cruising (1980) is on par with Patrick Bateman level charisma, mania and twisted sense of detail. Enjoyed this production immensly, one of Bronson's better. Nothing more to add.

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: online prowler on February 09, 2019, 03:08:14 AM
10 to Midnight (1979).

I watched that last night & I'm pretty sure I saw it in the theater. It's from 1983, not 1979. I think it's more interesting than the Death Wish films (watched 3 & 4 not too long ago). I wonder if there's any footage cut out of 10 to Midnight? Never read anything about it so probably not but it seems ripe for it. J. Lee Thompson certainly could deliver the goods with mainstream exploitation. Check out his film starring C. Bronson, The White Buffalo. Fucking nuts!

Watching Bloodlust aka Mosquito the Rapist right now...

online prowler

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on February 09, 2019, 05:23:53 AM
Quote from: online prowler on February 09, 2019, 03:08:14 AM
10 to Midnight (1979).

I watched that last night & I'm pretty sure I saw it in the theater. It's from 1983, not 1979. I think it's more interesting than the Death Wish films (watched 3 & 4 not too long ago). I wonder if there's any footage cut out of 10 to Midnight? Never read anything about it so probably not but it seems ripe for it. J. Lee Thompson certainly could deliver the goods with mainstream exploitation. Check out his film starring C. Bronson, The White Buffalo. Fucking nuts!

Watching Bloodlust aka Mosquito the Rapist right now...

Thanks for the film recommendation. Haven't seen The White Buffalo or Bloodlust for that matter before. Will check those out. Trailers looks promising. J. Lee Thompson directed a strain of action classics during his career - many with Bronson. 10 to Midnight was in my opinion executed suberbly, especially the park scene. Thanks for clarification of production year. I only got a copy online of it.

New Gaspar Noé on Arrow over the weekend. Need a copy of it asap!

online prowler

cr

Quote from: online prowler on February 09, 2019, 01:39:42 PM
Oi!

The Burbs is pure classic!! Total support.

Hah, yes. Normally not a big fan of Tom Hanks, but this one I like as well. (if that's the one you are talking about. Had to look for it on Google, because the title I know is totally different in translation)

online prowler

Quote from: cr on February 09, 2019, 08:27:49 PM
Quote from: online prowler on February 09, 2019, 01:39:42 PM
Oi!

The Burbs is pure classic!! Total support.

Hah, yes. Normally not a big fan of Tom Hanks, but this one I like as well. (if that's the one you are talking about. Had to look for it on Google, because the title I know is totally different in translation)

Aye! Joe Dante film w Hanks! Never get tired of that one. Of course actor Corey Feldman is a great plus as well.

ConcreteMascara

been in a Japanese film mood for the last few weeks.

Last Monday was Rubber's Lover by Shozin Fukui (1996). First time viewing. I was expecting it to be a bit more balls to the wall, but maybe my balls have become unflappable? Visually it's very enjoyable. The extreme overacting gets a little tedious at times but explosions of violence and sexual violence contrasted against the slow moving bits work effectively. I really dug the primary abandoned factory/laboratory set too. the freight elevator was practically its own character. I think I'll dig this one more on subsequent viewing, now that I'm past my original expectations.

Friday was Evil Dead Trap by Toshiharu Ikeda (1988), another first time viewing. I can't tell anymore if I have no standards and/or my brain has regressed to its most primitive, reptilian state but I though this was a lot of fun. Not quite as gruesome as I expected but still has some cringe inducing violence. specifically when a girl grabs a the serrated side of a huge combat knife and the killer rips it out of her hand. story is a late night TV host gets sent a snuff tape, and of course she goes with her film crew to find the killer in an abandoned industrial/military complex. But the plot thickens and gets real goofy. if you like '80s horror, you could do a lot worse.

Saturday, I tried to watch Ichi the Killer (2001) with my girlfriend but she tapped out after the tongue cutting scene so we switched it to Audition (1999). She'd never seen either so it was fun to watch her squirm at the end of Audition. The last time I watched it I was so tired from work I fell asleep 10 minutes in. It was nice to sit and watch it from beginning to end. It still holds up as one of Miike's best.

Sunday I watched Ichi the Killer by myself. Each viewing I feel differently about the film. In highschool I just loved the extremity. In college I bemoaned its digital effects. Now I guess its easier to appreciate its unflinching hyperviolence, dare you to watch torture sequences and charismatic performances by Tadanobu Asano, Shinya Tsukamoto and pretty much everyone else.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

absurdexposition

Alien, 2003 director's cut 35mm print.

Amazing to see on the big screen. Beautiful print.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

bitewerksMTB

The Wailing and Beyond the Darkness

The S.Korean film with possession-occult themes is kinda nuts but is a bit too long but I'm not sure where it should be cut. The ending doesn't explain much but I didn't expect it to being Asian n' all. Definitely worth seeing; the part with ritual drums/chanting/screaming made me feel a little nervous for a short spell so that's good.

D'Amato's necro film was watched Valentine's night but I wasn't aware of the day so it worked out anyway.

Has anyone seen the Japanese film, Vengeance is Mine? Criterion released. I thought I had seen it but the trailer doesn't look familiar at all. It's based on a true story
about a serial killer.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on February 16, 2019, 03:52:35 AM
Has anyone seen the Japanese film, Vengeance is Mine? Criterion released. I thought I had seen it but the trailer doesn't look familiar at all. It's based on a true story
about a serial killer.

I have the Criterion DVD. I love that film, easily my favorite from Shohei Imamura. It's a little slow at times but Ken Ogata who plays the main character is fucking fantastic. it's got some cruel and fucked up moments that are real good, but it's also just a good film on the whole.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

A-Z

Beyond the Darkness is probably the best film D'Amato ever made.

online prowler

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on February 16, 2019, 03:52:35 AM
about a serial killer.

I have the Master of Cinema edition. If you haven't seen the feature I highly recommend it. It is not a gore fest, but a well-developed true crime glider where the violence is hinted, but also fleshed out w explosion. Proper deep-dive acting by Ogata. Criterion transfer should be flawless.

FallOfNature

Darkness
Leif Jonker's gory vampire flick. Very enjoyable slice of 90's underground horror nostalgia. Hope this one gets a decent Blu Ray.

Nekromantik
Started re-watching Buttgereit's stuff in chronological order. Don't really need to say much about this here. Should be seen atleast once by everyone though.

Slime City
Sloppy splatter film, and pretty good too. Effects are equally corny and gruesome, lots of spurting goo and dismemberments. Like a budget Street Trash set in a greasy NYC apartment block.

Flower of Flesh and Blood
Great film and best of the series. Recommended.

Antropophagus
Very average film imo, if you're new to D'amato - then Beyond the Darkness is much better. Really, really slow moving and a few cool scenes at the end with George Eastman lurking around and then having a munch on intestines which his co-stars stare on very unconvincingly. The cover art is just a giant spoiler I guess. Best part of the film.

America 3000
Post nuke shitfest from Cannon Films. Ugly chicks, lots of mullets and some dickhead in a Yeti costume. Had no idea what the fuck was happening for the most part.

Caught some mainstream stuff too, Colors, The Bleeder, Escape from Alcatraz..

A-Z

Mermaid Legend

should be a pretty well known flick, but since I'm generally not a fan of asian cinema it was quite a surprise
a japanese noir revenge thing with supernatural undertones
mostly contemplative and atmosphere-focused
but when the violent sequences break out, they are absolutely exquisite, and their sparsity serves to make them even more efficient
the final standoff is nothing short of iconic
quality filmmaking, two thumbs up!

i remember having watched Evil Dead Trap by the same director some 20 years ago, but it left no lasting impression
maybe revisiting it soon would be a good idea

Acne

Deliverance

Saw it yesterday for the first time ever. What an awesome complex flick, never expected the awesome characters and acting. The sound editing movie is SO perfect, the birds chirping/forest sounds build so much suspense and that simple little banjo diddly as the main score fucking rips - whole movie is so slightly creepy/thrilling in a totally unique way. The Appalachian aesthetic/setting is so sick, anyone have  suggestions of other movies that take place in deep Appalachia?