Special Interest
October 18, 2019, 11:24:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 161 162 163 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 171 172 173 ... 189
  Print  
Author Topic: Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.  (Read 671992 times)
aububs
Heavy user

« Reply #2490 on: January 19, 2019, 01:22:22 AM »

hasn't been a good cronenberg movie in 20 years imo

he has mild argento/carpenter syndrome
EXU
moderate user

« Reply #2491 on: January 19, 2019, 03:59:11 AM »

No way, man. "A History Of Violence" is maybe his greatest and "Eastern Promises" and "A Dangerous Method" are both better than most directors can dream of nowadays IMHO. he's not the nasty ol' gory Cronemberg of yore but I don't think that's bad, just different. Haven't seen "Cosmopolis" and "Map To The Stars" yet because I am a dumbass.
Really have to see "Dead Ringers" again because I've seen it too young...

I disagree with Carpenter too even if "The Ward" is pretty damn meh because it may not be a movie per se, but "Cigarette Burns" from Masters of Horror is a masterpiece.

-----------------------------

BlacKkKlansman
Maybe this one won't have a lot of fans over here (hehe) but I thought it was great on a lot of levels, fun and intelligent, poignant and snappy, heavy handed sometimes with the social/political/racial stuff but it's a Spike Lee joint so it's not like I wasn't expecting that.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 04:04:19 AM by EXU » Logged
A-Z

« Reply #2492 on: January 19, 2019, 06:02:06 AM »

"Maps To The Stars" is top notch.
absurdexposition
Diehard user

« Reply #2493 on: January 19, 2019, 05:14:49 PM »

Cronenberg has had a pretty fucking good run. Love the grittiness of the early works and of course the major efforts from the 80s are all legendary. Recent works are good, too - I enjoyed Maps to the Stars. The only one that hasn't really done it for me was The Dead Zone, which hardly even feels like a Stephen King novel, let alone a Cronenberg film.

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Primitive Isolation Tactics
EXU
moderate user

« Reply #2494 on: January 19, 2019, 07:42:05 PM »

Cronemberg "CAMERA" is great, one of the best shorts I've ever watched.
I don't know if you people have seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC7YsHWoX5A

And another, "The Nest" I think it's ok, it gave hope to some people that he would return to body horror but it was not the case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odFh5LbTPI4
bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2495 on: January 19, 2019, 08:36:40 PM »

I watch The Dead Zone when I come across it on cable but I never remember that DC directed it. Dead Ringers I'm pretty sure I haven't seen since vhs. I've been wanting to watch The Brood again so may do that tonight. Wouldn't mind seeing Crash again. I'm surprised there isn't a special edition Blu yet.

Last night was Paul Naschy in Count Dracula's Great Love. Second time I've seen it but this time I watched it in Spanish. It's a good one; if you're a PN fan (or a fan of Spanish horror), definitely check out the Vinegar Syndrome release.

Harvest
Heavy user

« Reply #2496 on: January 19, 2019, 11:01:10 PM »

Wouldn't mind seeing Crash again. I'm surprised there isn't a special edition Blu yet.

recently had the great luck to see this on a LaserDisc and in a theater within a month of each other. an amazing adaptation on the novel and incredibly well shot with massive attention to detail. really underrated imho & in desperate need of a Blu.
aububs
Heavy user

« Reply #2497 on: January 20, 2019, 01:00:08 AM »

history of violence is fine but compared to the early work it's uninteresting
eastern promises is rote and dull except for the scene with mortensen's dick
dangerous method is one of the worst movies i've ever seen
cosmopolis is boring
haven't seen maps to the stars and it doesn't look like that's gonna change
EXU
moderate user

« Reply #2498 on: January 20, 2019, 09:17:23 PM »

Well, to each it's own.

Hereditary
Man, what a long series of teasings and unsatisfatory results... Good acting aside it feels so middle of the road, never going too much in the same direction to deliver the goods. The scenarios to me felt too indie cute for the movie to have atmosphere, almost like a Wes Anderson horror movie sometimes (I am exaggerating here, I know). SPOILER I GUESS: The headless spiderman floating doll whatever ending with the James Bond villain explanation really didn't do it for me, even if I am a sucker for satanic bs.
It was kind of entertaining but also so underwhelming on the whole.

Toni Erdmann
What a lovely weird endearing movie. It embraces ankwardness and vagueness beautifully. It's funny in a nervous way, it's subtle and strange and then kind of nonsense but not surreal. Very dramatic moments that are not forced at all, the movie goes along wandering pointlessly feeling alive and poignant, kind of boring cool perhaps but also full of heart. Idk, if I had to describe the cinematic experience and posterior feeling it left me, it's like someone threw the baby from Eraserhead on my lap and it smiled to me. Idk, great movie.
aububs
Heavy user

« Reply #2499 on: January 20, 2019, 09:29:31 PM »

we might disagree on cronenberg but agreed fully on toni erdmann. spectacular movie.

valeska grisebach, who co-wrote toni erdmann, made a movie in 2017 called Western which was one of the best things i saw that year. highly recc that one too.
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2500 on: January 21, 2019, 04:27:07 PM »

so I liked Argento's Phenomena so much I watched it the following night again. This was under better circumstances, ie everyone around me wasn't talking through it. It's definitely batshit bonkers but it's just ridiculously enjoyable.

Saturday was Emilio Miriglia's The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave which was disappointing. While I really enjoyed the director's subsequent The Red Queen Kills Seven Times this one was a trudge. It's starts off promising with almost immediate nudity and rough sex but then skimps on the gore for basically the whole film. The story is so absurd and the twists are are so unclear at times I had some trouble following it. A lot of attractive women, big titties and cleavage and all of that, plus some killer interior shots, so it's not a total waste. But I wont' be coming back to it anytime soon.

and last night I re-watched the live-action Ghost in the Shell by Rupert Sanders. I saw this one in theaters and wanted to like it so I forgave a lot of the dialogue and the themes generally "origin story" style. watching it more objectively now I felt pretty damn disappointed. the dialogue is almost physically painful, with constants references to ghosts, shells, and souls. The whole story arc felt like a US comic book origin movie. I can't stand Juliette Binoche so automatic negative marks there. It's just fucking dumb. But being a dumb action movie, there's still some pretty good action sequences and there's a nice consistent design to the world that somewhat successfully mixes the gritty with the hi-gloss, hi-tech.

but the best thing of the weekend was watching the first two episodes of season 3 of True Detective. really loved both episodes and I'm totally onboard for this season. I'm pretty hopeful they wont shit the bed.

rocksoff

« Reply #2501 on: January 22, 2019, 07:13:08 PM »

Last night was Argento's Phenomena. It was my first viewing and I watched the new-ish Synapse bluray which looked really good (though I have no comparison point). It was the direct inspiration for the video games Clock Tower and Clock Tower 2 for the SNES and PSX respectively and it was crazy to see how much those Japanese developers lifted straight from the film, main character included. The movie itself was definitely one of Argento's weirder ones, being closer to Suspiria than anything else, but still pretty different from that. It's a little slow and a lot weird, but the dreamier than usual tone really worked to move things along and keep me interested. Happy I finally got to see it.
Ha, I recently revisited Phenomena after playing those Clock Tower games for the first time. I decided to go with the Italian audio since some of the dialogue/acting for that one is painful even by Italian horror standards, but definitely a fun watch. I even checked out the Creepers cut later which is a strange viewing experience. Scenes are truncated so heavily that it feels like you're watching a "Last time on ... " TV show montage.
DSOL
Heavy user

« Reply #2502 on: January 24, 2019, 06:48:41 PM »

Humanoids from the Deep- alright early 80's Sci-Fi/horror movie. the monsters were decent, the kills were gory and some decent 80's nudity - it's on Prime

"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"
FallOfNature
user

« Reply #2503 on: January 29, 2019, 07:16:00 AM »

The Night Comes for Us
Been recommended this many times recently, didn't disappoint. Hyper violent and lots of gore and fast paced.

Blood Diner
Goofy 80's horror about some serial killer guys and an ancient goddess of some sort who has a giant toothed vagina in her stomach. Does the trick if you want to switch your mind off.

976-EVIL
More 80's horror, but sits firmly on a few shelves above Blood Diner mentioned above. Good.

Gutterballs
Seen this a handful of times before so nothing new discovered here. Nasty, sleazy, mean spirited modern horror - but a fun watch rather than pointless sadism or boring fake snuff. Ryan Nicholson's best from what I've seen.

Wolf Creek series S2
Watched the entire season beating the 40 degree heat outside. If you've seen the movies - you know what to expect. Thought this was better than the second film but not as bleak as the first film or first season of the series. Some silly story turns and annoying characters (the utterly useless German tourists) but enjoyable regardless.
DSOL
Heavy user

« Reply #2504 on: February 01, 2019, 06:13:13 PM »

stuck in a blizzard for almost 3 days with sub-zero temperatures

The Thing- come on, this is the exact movie you should be watching when those are the weather conditions you're dealing with

From Dusk till Dawn- love that Cheech Marin plays 3 different characters. over the top kills, great special effects and the vampires are pretty cool looking, not enough Salma Hayek

Fist of the North Star- not super into anime/manga, but this is one that I like. post apocalyptic violence is always good

The Burbs- just a classic

"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 163 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 171 172 173 ... 189
  Print  

Jump to: