Special Interest
July 17, 2019, 11:04:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 160 161 162 163 164 165 [166] 167 168 169 170 171 172 ... 184
  Print  
Author Topic: Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.  (Read 620508 times)
aububs
Heavy user

« Reply #2475 on: January 14, 2019, 09:44:59 PM »

it definitely cribbed from gene wolfe which is not a bad thing

the ending was basically a Tool video

i was into it tho
bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2476 on: January 17, 2019, 03:54:51 AM »

Blue Underground's 3-disc bd/cd release of MANIAC is an absolute must-own for slasher fans. This is the first time it has ever been seen scanned from the orig. camera negative which had been blown up from 16mm to 35mm originally . It's still an ugly film but there's more detail and the blacks look better than on the dvd (the previous blu-ray is suppose to look horrible). This & BU's release of Fulci's ZOMBIE were two of the very best releases of 2018. This year we should get Fulci's NEW YORK RIPPER and DEAD & BURIED.

Also watched Refn's BLEEDER. I really, really want a proper Blu-ray release of this film no matter what country releases it as long as it has English subs & the orig. Danish soundtrack! I wonder if the use of movie clips in it causes issues? Also, I'd like to know if it's common for people from the Middle East in Denmark to be considered 'black' and 'the n-word'? I'd welcome bd's of the Pusher trilogy, as well.

Future releases in 2019 I'm looking forward to include AUDITION (Arrow); VICE SQUAD (Shout Factory); the two above from BU; ALL THE COLORS OF THE DARK (Severin); RITUALS (Scorpion)... There are others but that's all the comes to mind right now.

FallOfNature
user

« Reply #2477 on: January 17, 2019, 04:42:40 AM »

I'd welcome bd's of the Pusher trilogy, as well.

I know of one atleast that has subtitles, Australian release by Accent Films. I have it and it's ok. The transfer isn't amazing and not that much better than the DVD I had previously. A bit bare when it comes to extras too but it cost me less than $10 so I can't complain too much.

ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2478 on: January 17, 2019, 04:38:50 PM »

Blue Underground's 3-disc bd/cd release of MANIAC is an absolute must-own for slasher fans. This is the first time it has ever been seen scanned from the orig. camera negative which had been blown up from 16mm to 35mm originally . It's still an ugly film but there's more detail and the blacks look better than on the dvd (the previous blu-ray is suppose to look horrible). This & BU's release of Fulci's ZOMBIE were two of the very best releases of 2018. This year we should get Fulci's NEW YORK RIPPER and DEAD & BURIED.

I can agree that the previous BluRay version is lacking. and mine has some kind of manufacturing error because it glitches and freezes in the same part on every BluRay player I've watched it on. super fucking annoying. Interested to check out this new edition though not chomping at the bit to buy Maniac for the 3rd time.

Future releases in 2019 I'm looking forward to include AUDITION (Arrow); VICE SQUAD (Shout Factory); the two above from BU; ALL THE COLORS OF THE DARK (Severin); RITUALS (Scorpion)... There are others but that's all the comes to mind right now.

I've only watch All the Colors of the Dark once and it did blow me away. Martino's Torso is one of my all-time favorite films but his other giallo just don't do it for me the way that one does. A lot of people worship them so I feel like I must be missing something....  happy to see though that this Severin bluray is still available as I thought it was already sold-out but I just checked and they've got copies.

absurdexposition
Diehard user

« Reply #2479 on: January 17, 2019, 06:52:26 PM »

I've only watch All the Colors of the Dark once and it did blow me away. Martino's Torso is one of my all-time favorite films but his other giallo just don't do it for me the way that one does. A lot of people worship them so I feel like I must be missing something....  happy to see though that this Severin bluray is still available as I thought it was already sold-out but I just checked and they've got copies.

I felt that same about "All the Colors..." when I first saw it, not overly into psychedelic stuff.

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Primitive Isolation Tactics
DSOL
Heavy user

« Reply #2480 on: January 17, 2019, 11:33:59 PM »

Cold Skin - someone posted this review on IMDB about the movie and it sum up exactly how I feel about it

"I was drawn to see this movie after reading a brief plot synopsis which had a clear Lovecraftian horror theme (et in the 20's an isolated lighthouse attacked by creatures from the sea). And though this wasn't exactly the movie I wanted it to be, I was satisfied with it. Firstly, this movie is extremely well-made and acted. The location is simply wonderful. I would've preferred the sea creatures to be more grotesque but that wasn't what they were aiming for. This film doesn't explain everything which leaves you thinking about it which works well in this case."

"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"
THE RITA HN
Heavy user

« Reply #2481 on: January 18, 2019, 06:01:37 AM »

This year we should get Fulci's NEW YORK RIPPER

Definitely in the vein of needing any version I can get of this film.
totalblack
user

« Reply #2482 on: January 18, 2019, 12:02:08 PM »

For anyone talking about missing Beyond The Black Rainbow I do recommend watching it as it's great. I did really like Mandy, but it was a lot less dark than BTBR - yes it is sci-fi but it's more on Cronenberg side of things

A-Z

« Reply #2483 on: January 18, 2019, 03:23:40 PM »

Dead Ringers (1988) a more "mainstream" (but still awesome) side of 80s Cronenberg with a brilliant performance by Jeremy Irons playing identical twins; deals with issues of psychological autonomy and substance abuse
general impression: fuck, this is great, what the hell was i thinking, why didn't i watch this years ago (like everyone else on this board probably did)

Húsið: Trúnaðarmál (1983) a supernatural mystery / family drama hybrid from Iceland
influences from The Changeling, Rosemary's Baby and nordic drama (Ibsen?) melted into something quite unique
at times a bit too slow, at times genuinely creepy and thrilling without relying on any cinematic bells & whistles, at times deeply touching
+ a pretty efficient punch-in-the-gut ending
all in all, one of the rare examples of a haunted house movie that doesn't suck balls
DSOL
Heavy user

« Reply #2484 on: January 18, 2019, 03:40:19 PM »

Annihilation [2018] - I wanted to see this when it came to theaters but I missed it. finally caught it on Hulu last night. I hoped it would be good but it was fucking awesome. visually its fucking gorgeous and super detailed. the acting is solid, the writing is a little hit or miss but mostly good. the score jumps between twisted IDMish electronics, drones, vocal fuckery and acoustic guitars. it's fucking great. Reminds me of the score for Blade Runner 2049 mixed with Mick Gordon's score for the video game Prey. I liked the ending too. Honestly I didn't have a complaint by the end and I just wanted to re-watch it immediately to see what I missed.

finally watched this last night on Prime and have to agree with everything stated here. couple of my friends went on and on about the movie when it first came out, but they are the types that every time they see a new movie, its better than the last one they saw so I took their opinions with a grain of salt in regards to Annihilation.

watched The Beingafterwards, 80's creature flick. overall pretty bad, but was still fun. probably wont ever want to watch it again.

cantle
user

« Reply #2485 on: January 18, 2019, 05:08:35 PM »

The Captain/ Der Hauptmann ... watched this, rather liked it. Demented characters study of a dark decsent, black comedy moments, based on a true story. Brought to mind the feel of Come and See too but in a good rather than derivative way.
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2486 on: January 18, 2019, 05:17:26 PM »

Dead Ringers (1988) a more "mainstream" (but still awesome) side of 80s Cronenberg with a brilliant performance by Jeremy Irons playing identical twins; deals with issues of psychological autonomy and substance abuse
general impression: fuck, this is great, what the hell was i thinking, why didn't i watch this years ago (like everyone else on this board probably did)

Hard to pick a favorite Cronenberg film but objectively Dead Ringers is probably the best. Jeremy Irons just kills it and it's just relentlessly negative. I watch Scanners and Videodrome a lot more often but I think Dead Ringers is better than either one.

Last night was Argento's Phenomena. It was my first viewing and I watched the new-ish Synapse bluray which looked really good (though I have no comparison point). It was the direct inspiration for the video games Clock Tower and Clock Tower 2 for the SNES and PSX respectively and it was crazy to see how much those Japanese developers lifted straight from the film, main character included. The movie itself was definitely one of Argento's weirder ones, being closer to Suspiria than anything else, but still pretty different from that. It's a little slow and a lot weird, but the dreamier than usual tone really worked to move things along and keep me interested. Happy I finally got to see it.

A-Z

« Reply #2487 on: January 18, 2019, 06:21:59 PM »

Hard to pick a favorite Cronenberg film but objectively Dead Ringers is probably the best. Jeremy Irons just kills it and it's just relentlessly negative. I watch Scanners and Videodrome a lot more often but I think Dead Ringers is better than either one.

well, i totally see your point, but on the other hand Cronenberg's output is so diverse (nevertheless remaining consistently cronenbergian) it's hard for me to compare some of his works in terms of "better" or "worse"
Videodrome, Dead Ringers, A History of Violence are all great, imo, but too different to place on a single rating scale
personal preferences are, of course, always valid at a personal level, not trying to debate that
THE RITA HN
Heavy user

« Reply #2488 on: January 18, 2019, 11:29:48 PM »

Hard to pick a favorite Cronenberg film but objectively Dead Ringers is probably the best.

If I had to pick two Cronenberg films it would definitely be SHIVERS and DEAD RINGERS.  Jeremy Irons will always be my favourite actor.
DSOL
Heavy user

« Reply #2489 on: January 18, 2019, 11:32:08 PM »

Hard to pick a favorite Cronenberg film but objectively Dead Ringers is probably the best.

If I had to pick two Cronenberg films it would definitely be SHIVERS and DEAD RINGERS.  Jeremy Irons will always be my favourite actor.

Simon Gruber

Pages: 1 ... 160 161 162 163 164 165 [166] 167 168 169 170 171 172 ... 184
  Print  

Jump to: