Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aububs

dodecaphonic

Just watched jack by lars von trier
- I found it a really funny film the art references the references to different serial killers etc the narration, the story -the ending
It dragged in parts but who cares -
It was good I might enjoy it more the second time around.

DSOL

"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

A-Z

Variola Vera (1982) - a hospital is quarantined during the outbreak of smallpox in Belgrade. One of the best disease films I've seen. Well crafted atmosphere of misery and dread, a healthy dose of body horror, detoriation of societal norms in the face of extreme circumstances, a nice ensemble of characters to root for or hate, and a fantastic soundtrack.

Der Fan (1982) - a teenager runs from home to meet her pop singer idol, things end up badly in a completely fucked up way. What makes it especially great is that shock value does not substitute conventional cinematic quality, but complements it. A hidden (?) gem.

bitewerksMTB

Viewing this week starting on Christmas Eve: TALES FROM THE CRYPT (Brit film); BLACK CHRISTMAS & SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT; RE-ANIMATOR & FROM BEYOND; CATHY'S CURSE (director's cut) and last night was Fulci's THE BEYOND.

Blue Underground's new release of MANIAC is on its way. Looking forward to it!

ConcreteMascara

[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

holy ghost

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on December 30, 2018, 12:23:42 AM
Quote from: DSOL on December 28, 2018, 05:04:13 PM
Bird Box - dumb

I was thinking this OK until the last 15 minutes when it completely shit the bed.

I was into it until the ending as well. What the fuck? Like that all worked out nicely innit?

A co-worker suggested Derry Girls on Netflix and the first episode was pretty friggin' funny. Will continue.

My wife has been watching Succession on HBO and wow, what a bunch of spiteful assholes. Every character is a disgusting piece of shit.

rocksoff

Quote from: A-Z on December 28, 2018, 09:34:48 PM
Der Fan (1982) - a teenager runs from home to meet her pop singer idol, things end up badly in a completely fucked up way. What makes it especially great is that shock value does not substitute conventional cinematic quality, but complements it. A hidden (?) gem.
I'm surprised this one isn't considered a minor cult classic. Maybe I was looking in the wrong places, but I'd never heard of it before reading House of Psychotic Women and I still rarely see it mentioned despite ticking the boxes for what a lot of people seem to look for in artsier horror movies. Were you already aware of the plot before you saw it? It was kind of an Audition situation for me where the impact was blunted a little by knowing where things were going but I thought it would've been deeply unsettling had I gone in blind.

I just watched Fulci's Aenigma which I liked a lot. Never hear much about his later stuff beyond Cat in the Brain but I loved the nightmarish sequence in the museum, the snail attack, the morgue at the end, and the use of miniatures for shots of the city. The plot's surprisingly tight and like a mix between Carrie and possession movies and the schoolgirl bickering is pretty fun between the dubbing and the already bad enough dialogue.

DSOL

Quote from: holy ghost on December 30, 2018, 09:56:03 PM
Quote from: ConcreteMascara on December 30, 2018, 12:23:42 AM
Quote from: DSOL on December 28, 2018, 05:04:13 PM
Bird Box - dumb

I was thinking this OK until the last 15 minutes when it completely shit the bed.

I was into it until the ending as well. What the fuck? Like that all worked out nicely innit?

agreed, the ending is what killed the movie

The Nun - I thought it was decent. bunch of jump scenes, not enough of "The Nun" is actually seen in the movie. still cant decide if that is a good thing or a bad thing yet.
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

A-Z

Quote from: rocksoff on December 31, 2018, 01:54:28 PM
Were you already aware of the plot before you saw it?

Luckily I didn't. You're right, it works best this way.

Meanwhile, watched another goodie.

Celia (1989) - an imaginative and lonely 9 y.o. girl growing up in 1950s tries to wrap her mind around adult issues. A coming of age drama with a pretty twisted ending. Much subtler than Der Fan, but actually more disturbing because of that. Totally "minor cult classic" material.

Coma Detox

Over the last few days

Paul Naschy Collection Vol. 1 on Shout! Factory
Sacrifice! aka Man From Deep River
Blood Harvest
Body Melt
Blood Rage
Teenage Prostitution Racket
The Dead Zone
Hardcore (1979)
Buzzard (2014)

Looking forward to Jungle Holocaust finally being released on Blu-Ray by Ronin Flix.  Anyone know anything about the Japanese Blu-Ray release of Romero's Martin?  DiabolikDVD had it for about 10 minutes before it sold out and it's $54.99.  I'm guessing it's just an HD upconvert and not a full restoration?