Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitewerksMTB

I could be wrong but I think Bill Lustig/Blue Underground said the the elements for Fight for Your Life were destroyed in Hurricane Katrina. I think it was mentioned in a podcast interview.

Just ran across the news that Shout! Factory will be releasing a box set of Sonny Chiba's Streetfighter films. Early 2019; definitely looking forward to it!

Peterson

Quote from: absurdexposition on November 07, 2018, 01:14:43 AM
No Country for Old Men - Perpetual favourite. Only film I've seen in theatres and immediately went back to see again the next day. I prefer it to the book (unlike The Road...).

Dunno about you, but I saw some pastiche/tribute to No Country (the film) in the first two seasons of the Fargo TV series. I wasn't as blown away by it as expected, but still really enjoyed. Noticed some similarities to Anton Chigurh in Billy Bob Thornton's character in season one and in Hanzee in season two. Beyond that I thought the flying saucer scenes were a nod to The Man Who Wasn't There (Thornton being lead role). It's almost as if they knew people like me would be critical (heh) but went all in nevertheless. Just wondering if you or anyone else got the same impression.

absurdexposition

Quote from: Force Neurotic on November 09, 2018, 03:01:22 AM
Quote from: absurdexposition on November 07, 2018, 01:14:43 AM
No Country for Old Men - Perpetual favourite. Only film I've seen in theatres and immediately went back to see again the next day. I prefer it to the book (unlike The Road...).

Dunno about you, but I saw some pastiche/tribute to No Country (the film) in the first two seasons of the Fargo TV series. I wasn't as blown away by it as expected, but still really enjoyed. Noticed some similarities to Anton Chigurh in Billy Bob Thornton's character in season one and in Hanzee in season two. Beyond that I thought the flying saucer scenes were a nod to The Man Who Wasn't There (Thornton being lead role). It's almost as if they knew people like me would be critical (heh) but went all in nevertheless. Just wondering if you or anyone else got the same impression.

I saw the first season of Fargo when it came out but haven't kept up. Always ends up on the back burner when I'm looking for new things to watch (and aside from just finishing the Sharp Objects miniseries I haven't really watched any "TV" in at least a year). If/when I get back to that show I'll be sure to keep these things in mind.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

rocksoff

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on November 07, 2018, 01:55:15 AM
God, how awesome would a 4k transfer of Goodbye, Uncle Tom be?!? Special edition with both versions, a cd soundtrack, a booklet, poster, etc.!!!!!! Such an over the top film that is really difficult to sit through. Someone recently told me that had to watch it over a couple of days, they just couldn't take it.
I was thinking while watching it how I'd love to hear from at least a few of the hundreds of nameless extras who acted in it. Completely unlikely, but definitely a movie deserving of a more elaborate release considering all of the boutique blu ray labels around now.

Peterson

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on November 07, 2018, 10:48:29 PM
I could be wrong but I think Bill Lustig/Blue Underground said the the elements for Fight for Your Life were destroyed in Hurricane Katrina. I think it was mentioned in a podcast interview.

That's pretty ironic! Makes me want to watch the Spike Lee documentary about Katrina and the aftermath.

FallOfNature

Quote from: Force Neurotic on November 09, 2018, 03:01:22 AM
Noticed some similarities to Anton Chigurh in Billy Bob Thornton's character....Just wondering if you or anyone else got the same impression.

I thought the same. Especially when it comes to how he spoke/dialogue.

ConcreteMascara

Saturday night was back to back viewings of Blade Runner: The Final Cut and Blade Runner 2049 with my friends, for my birthday. To my taste, I can honestly say that despite a few small flaws, Blade Runner 2049 really delivers a solid sequel. Maybe my biggest complaint is that there are times where the audience isn't given enough credit and we get flashbacks that seem a little unnecessary.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

FallOfNature

Southpaw - not bad, fairly predictable, pretty regular drama that I probably wouldn't of watched without the boxing connection.

Underbelly Files - Chopper : The Untold Story - Probably the worst thing I've seen from the Underbelly franchise and I've seen nearly everything. Lots of forced acting or overacting, and some of the casting choices looked very far from reality. It cast a weird light over Chopper's story (which is mostly exaggerated bullshit anyway) and almost felt as if they were trying to portray him as just misunderstood. Might be interesting if you follow Australian underworld crime and have a high tolerance level for tediousness. I'll rate it 1/10 and that lone point is for the red-headed actress who plays one of his wives.

Eastern Embargo

Moriyama-San (documentary)

Hermit living in prized home in Japan. Quite the elusive tenant, was hoping it would go further into his music collection, but only glimpses and references to Yoshihide Otomo & Thurston Moore etc. Very entertaining nonetheless!

Cauldhame

They Shall Not Grow Old

Peter Jackson's centenary film of colourised WW1 footage and archival recordings of soldiers' accounts; absolutely riveting and harrowing.

aububs

bitewerksMTB

Giallo in Venice- man, this is one trashy film! There's only four violent scenes; one is pretty damn shocking, and there's a lot of rather dull sex n' nudity. It's not a good film but it's nice to have on Blu-ray from Scorpion Releasing.

Last weekend, I watched Dawn of the Dead plus 48 Hrs. which I had not seen since vhs rental days.

Severin is releasing All the Colors of the Dark and Vinegar Syndrome has a couple of secret titles going up on Black Friday. Definitely looking forward to Edwige F. in high definition!

Coma Detox

Blood Lust aka Mosquito The Rapist.  Mondo Macabro did a killer job of the transfer on the Blu-Ray.  Looks so much better then the non-anamorphic Greek DVD I had.  Loosely based on the Vampire of Nuremberg.  A deaf mute obsessed with toy dolls who defiles corpses and sucks their blood with a pronged straw.

The Dorm That Dripped Blood - Decent early 80's Slasher with some nice kill scenes, especially the head drilling.  I really liked the ending.  Good to see a decent transfer after all the cut to pieces DVD's floating around.

Never realized one of the characters in Giallo In Venice starred in Patrick Still Lives until re-watching it.

bitewerksMTB

Maria Angela Giordano is also in Burial Ground. I'd love to have a Blu release of Patrick Still Lives. I suspect it'll happen eventually. I don't remember it being all that great but it was definitely entertaining and trashy.

Last night was a movie called The Eyes of a Stranger I caught on Turner Classic Movies. It's a bit of a thriller with slasher elements. Wikipedia claims the movie had some graphic violence cut. It plays like it was made-for-tv with some tacked on violence (throat slashings & a decapitation) plus some nudity. The plot concerns a reporter that suspects a neighbor is a rapist-murderer. This film is the debut of Jennifer Jason Leigh. Her teenage character was snatched as a child & presumably raped which left her blind and mute. The director was kind enough to give viewers a finale that includes her nubile breasts being exposed by the pudgy serial killer. Leigh's sister-reporter is an actress from "The Love Boat". No nudity from her, unfortunately.

absurdexposition

Rewatched Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (Turner Preview version). Essential western and essential Peckinpah. He was one of the best.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com