Special Interest
November 17, 2018, 04:44:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 155 156 157 158 159 160 [161]
  Print  
Author Topic: Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.  (Read 516345 times)
Force Neurotic
Heavy user

« Reply #2400 on: November 07, 2018, 01:03:53 AM »

Ken Burns' "Vietnam" documentary series (PBS)
          Finally got a library copy. Goes well with Wince's "Nerves" or Striations' "Vietnamization" tapes beyond the obvious appeal. Recently watched Apocalypse Now Redux so seems appropriate - if I have a favorite film, it's that one.

absurdexposition
Diehard user

« Reply #2401 on: November 07, 2018, 01:14:43 AM »

No Country for Old Men - Perpetual favourite. Only film I've seen in theatres and immediately went back to see again the next day. I prefer it to the book (unlike The Road...).

Going through some Romero watches / rewatches with a couple friends. Season of the Witch is nicely executed with restraint, The Crazies wasn't as good as I remembered it being, Martin was better than I remembered it being and I'll now rank it among my favourite Romeros, and Dawn of the Dead is one of the GOATs. Next weekend will be Knightriders and Day of the Dead. Very interested in the former, seems like it'll be a lot of fun, and I haven't seen "Day..." in nearly a decade.

First Reformed (Paul Schrader) incredible ending, but it doesn't make up for other imperfections, still worth a watch.

Wind River pretty straightforward for casual viewing (with one "holy fuck" moment).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 01:16:48 AM by absurdexposition » Logged

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
http://www.screamandwrithe.com
bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2402 on: November 07, 2018, 01:55:15 AM »

Saturday & Sunday, I watched Mandy & The Sniper. The first was okay & on VOD in SD so it had some digital glitches so I would like to see it again. I kinda liked the first slow half over the out of control second half.

The second film is from the '50s & is a must-see for Incels. It was on Turner Classic Movies.

I've read "The Ritual" but have not seen the film. The book was good which led me to check out the author's other books. I can't remember his name or the titles of the books. One was about a haunted hotel that I think I liked.

God, how awesome would a 4k transfer of Goodbye, Uncle Tom be?!? Special edition with both versions, a cd soundtrack, a booklet, poster, etc.!!!!!! Such an over the top film that is really difficult to sit through. Someone recently told me that had to watch it over a couple of days, they just couldn't take it.
absurdexposition
Diehard user

« Reply #2403 on: November 07, 2018, 02:11:45 AM »

Mandy [...] I kinda liked the first slow half over the out of control second half.

Same. For the first half I was like "why do so many of my friends hate this movie?", then I kept finding out why over the last half.

Montreal, QC
Coma Detox
moderate user

« Reply #2404 on: November 07, 2018, 06:39:16 AM »

Saturday & Sunday, I watched Mandy & The Sniper. The first was okay & on VOD in SD so it had some digital glitches so I would like to see it again. I kinda liked the first slow half over the out of control second half.

The second film is from the '50s & is a must-see for Incels. It was on Turner Classic Movies.

I've read "The Ritual" but have not seen the film. The book was good which led me to check out the author's other books. I can't remember his name or the titles of the books. One was about a haunted hotel that I think I liked.

God, how awesome would a 4k transfer of Goodbye, Uncle Tom be?!? Special edition with both versions, a cd soundtrack, a booklet, poster, etc.!!!!!! Such an over the top film that is really difficult to sit through. Someone recently told me that had to watch it over a couple of days, they just couldn't take it.

I just recently watched Goodbye Uncle Tom & Fight For Your Life back to back.  So many classic one-liners from Fight For Your Life.  Both those movies need Blu-Ray releases, but I have no idea if better source material exists or if Blue Underground even has the rights to those films anymore.  Both DVD's still look pretty decent to me at least.
FallOfNature
user

« Reply #2405 on: November 07, 2018, 12:21:09 PM »

Fight For Your Life is a classic. I once heard a rumour William Sanderson appeared at some comic con (due to his acting in Blade Runner, True Blood, Deadwood etc) and got quite annoyed that all the fans wanted to talk about was Fight For Your Life.

Guess he's a bit reluctant to talk about it and some of the content and language in it with today's PC crowd.
bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2406 on: November 07, 2018, 10:48:29 PM »

I could be wrong but I think Bill Lustig/Blue Underground said the the elements for Fight for Your Life were destroyed in Hurricane Katrina. I think it was mentioned in a podcast interview.

Just ran across the news that Shout! Factory will be releasing a box set of Sonny Chiba's Streetfighter films. Early 2019; definitely looking forward to it!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 11:16:15 PM by bitewerksMTB » Logged
Force Neurotic
Heavy user

« Reply #2407 on: November 09, 2018, 03:01:22 AM »

No Country for Old Men - Perpetual favourite. Only film I've seen in theatres and immediately went back to see again the next day. I prefer it to the book (unlike The Road...).

Dunno about you, but I saw some pastiche/tribute to No Country (the film) in the first two seasons of the Fargo TV series. I wasn't as blown away by it as expected, but still really enjoyed. Noticed some similarities to Anton Chigurh in Billy Bob Thornton's character in season one and in Hanzee in season two. Beyond that I thought the flying saucer scenes were a nod to The Man Who Wasn't There (Thornton being lead role). It's almost as if they knew people like me would be critical (heh) but went all in nevertheless. Just wondering if you or anyone else got the same impression.

absurdexposition
Diehard user

« Reply #2408 on: November 09, 2018, 03:35:51 AM »

Dunno about you, but I saw some pastiche/tribute to No Country (the film) in the first two seasons of the Fargo TV series. I wasn't as blown away by it as expected, but still really enjoyed. Noticed some similarities to Anton Chigurh in Billy Bob Thornton's character in season one and in Hanzee in season two. Beyond that I thought the flying saucer scenes were a nod to The Man Who Wasn't There (Thornton being lead role). It's almost as if they knew people like me would be critical (heh) but went all in nevertheless. Just wondering if you or anyone else got the same impression.

I saw the first season of Fargo when it came out but haven't kept up. Always ends up on the back burner when I'm looking for new things to watch (and aside from just finishing the Sharp Objects miniseries I haven't really watched any "TV" in at least a year). If/when I get back to that show I'll be sure to keep these things in mind.

Montreal, QC
rocksoff

« Reply #2409 on: November 09, 2018, 04:03:32 PM »

I was thinking while watching it how I'd love to hear from at least a few of the hundreds of nameless extras who acted in it. Completely unlikely, but definitely a movie deserving of a more elaborate release considering all of the boutique blu ray labels around now.
Force Neurotic
Heavy user

« Reply #2410 on: November 09, 2018, 06:47:21 PM »

I could be wrong but I think Bill Lustig/Blue Underground said the the elements for Fight for Your Life were destroyed in Hurricane Katrina. I think it was mentioned in a podcast interview.

That's pretty ironic! Makes me want to watch the Spike Lee documentary about Katrina and the aftermath.

FallOfNature
user

« Reply #2411 on: November 10, 2018, 11:12:43 PM »

Noticed some similarities to Anton Chigurh in Billy Bob Thornton's character....Just wondering if you or anyone else got the same impression.

I thought the same. Especially when it comes to how he spoke/dialogue.
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2412 on: November 12, 2018, 11:44:38 PM »

Saturday night was back to back viewings of Blade Runner: The Final Cut and Blade Runner 2049 with my friends, for my birthday. To my taste, I can honestly say that despite a few small flaws, Blade Runner 2049 really delivers a solid sequel. Maybe my biggest complaint is that there are times where the audience isn't given enough credit and we get flashbacks that seem a little unnecessary.

FallOfNature
user

« Reply #2413 on: November 13, 2018, 02:02:46 AM »

Southpaw - not bad, fairly predictable, pretty regular drama that I probably wouldn't of watched without the boxing connection.

Underbelly Files - Chopper : The Untold Story - Probably the worst thing I've seen from the Underbelly franchise and I've seen nearly everything. Lots of forced acting or overacting, and some of the casting choices looked very far from reality. It cast a weird light over Chopper's story (which is mostly exaggerated bullshit anyway) and almost felt as if they were trying to portray him as just misunderstood. Might be interesting if you follow Australian underworld crime and have a high tolerance level for tediousness. I'll rate it 1/10 and that lone point is for the red-headed actress who plays one of his wives.
Eastern Embargo

« Reply #2414 on: Today at 01:00:07 AM »

Moriyama-San (documentary)

Hermit living in prized home in Japan. Quite the elusive tenant, was hoping it would go further into his music collection, but only glimpses and references to Yoshihide Otomo & Thurston Moore etc. Very entertaining nonetheless!
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 157 158 159 160 [161]
  Print  

Jump to: