Special Interest
November 13, 2018, 04:21:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 150 151 152 153 154 155 [156] 157 158 159 160 161
  Print  
Author Topic: Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.  (Read 514901 times)
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2325 on: September 06, 2018, 05:56:54 PM »

first of all tonight I'm seeing a screening of Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue in Japanese and I couldn't be more excited. at this point I've seen almost all of my favorite movies screened in proper theaters at one point or another, and it's hard to beat the experience.

let's see if i can give a quick recap of movies watched in the past month...

Hellraiser: Inferno (2000) - the 5th Hellraiser and a step in a weird new direction. it attempts a neo-noir style with a corrupt cop anti-hero and a lot less pinhead and a bigger focus on weird hellish surrealism. what's a dream, what's hell, is the main character dead or not. etc etc. it reminded me a lot of the video game Max Payne (the first one). I actually really enjoyed it in all of its shitty glory, my buddy thought it was dumb.

So Sweet, So Dead aka The Slasher! aka Penetration (1972) - after all the recommendations on this board I picked this one up from Code Red. Definitely a stripped down approach to the Giallo film, dispensing of any unnecessary artistic touches or weird bits. While I definitely enjoyed it, and it's to the point nature, I couldn't help but wish the gore/effects budget was a little better. the vibe is right but it lacks punch for my taste. also I guessed the killer immediately. but there's a lot of tits and ass and some good sequences so I'll revisit it again.

Milano Calibro 9 (1972) - this was fucking great! i know Giallo much better than Poliziotteschi, but I knew this one was supposed to be pretty legendary and I can see why. It's my understanding Tarantino praises this one, well I can definitely see some influence on his earlier work. Gastone Moschin as Ugo absolutely kills it, Barbara Bouchet is fucking great as always and pretty much all of the supporting characters are memorable. And the ending is A+!  two movies it brought to mind for different reasons were the utter-classic Le Samouraï and the underrated The Friends of Eddie Coyle.

Don’t Torture a Duckling (1972) – one of the first Giallo I ever saw and still one of the best, even if it’s not a traditional Giallo.

Alien (1979) & Die Hard (1988) – made my girlfriend sit down and watch these two, which she somehow got through life without seeing. These movies were essential to my childhood, having watched both multiple times before I was ten. Obviously very different movies but both so goddamn great.

Trip With Teacher (1975) – I was hoping for more from this exploitation flick. Not enough exploitation, just a shitload of waiting for things to happen. Not the worst way to spend an hour and a half but not riveting either.

Splatter: Naked Blood (1996) – I’ve had this one on my shelf for years. I knew about some of the gore to expect, but this was ten shades weirder than I could’ve imagined. An extremely Japanese film on every level. And the gore, while pretty limited, was a little stomach churning for me. It honestly rustled my jimmies. Definitely a movie I’ll have to watch again and recommended for those who enjoy body horror and weird shit in the style of Tetsuo The Iron Man, Videodrome and Audition.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 04:47:55 PM by ConcreteMascara » Logged

david lloyd jones
Diehard user

« Reply #2326 on: September 07, 2018, 04:05:27 PM »

Great set of reviews!
impulse manslaughter
user

« Reply #2327 on: September 13, 2018, 12:21:14 AM »

Went out to see Dogman last night. Same director as Gomorra, same vibe also. My favorite movie I saw in the past year. Also watched Journeyman (great acting) and The Guilty (Danish movie filmed in just 2 rooms; claustrophobic atmosphere and some nice plot developments).
Kim V
moderate user

« Reply #2328 on: September 13, 2018, 03:19:12 PM »

Went out to see Dogman last night. Same director as Gomorra, same vibe also. My favorite movie I saw in the past year. Also watched Journeyman (great acting) and The Guilty (Danish movie filmed in just 2 rooms; claustrophobic atmosphere and some nice plot developments).

Wanted to go see this one, but didn't make it to the cinema before it wasn't screened anymore. Is it as grim as one can expect from the trailer or press-pictures ?

you're just a victim of yourself
bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2329 on: September 15, 2018, 09:05:24 PM »

FUNNY GAMES just started. My 2nd viewing; I hate the use of grindcore in the soundtrack at the beginning. I can't remember if it's used more throughout the film. I certainly hope not.

Last weekend it rained a lot so what I remember I watched was: Fulci's DON'T TORTURE A DUCKLING; HELL OR HIGH WATER; THE FINAL TERROR; and 68 KILL.  
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 09:14:51 PM by bitewerksMTB » Logged
aububs
user

« Reply #2330 on: September 15, 2018, 11:24:49 PM »

i hated hell or high water. 68 kill was ok.

FUNNY GAMES just started. My 2nd viewing; I hate the use of grindcore in the soundtrack at the beginning. I can't remember if it's used more throughout the film. I certainly hope not.

think that's naked city. don't think it's used again.

i just watched this

it's kind of slow moving but i recommend it if you want to see nic cage out of his gourd on coke and lsd tearing people limb from limb. p good.

bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2331 on: September 16, 2018, 03:25:51 AM »

Ordered Hereditary on Video On Demand but the fucker will not play. Just a black screen with glitchy audio. Hoping it'll straighten the hell up later tonight.

i hated hell or high water. 68 kill was ok.

Yeah, H.O.H.W. may have been a decent crime film without the heavy-handiness.

68 Kill was generally dumb. A couple of decent killings. I hate the cartoonish, over-the-top characters.
bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2332 on: September 18, 2018, 04:43:10 AM »

Saturday night:

Zombi Holocaust and Lizard in a Woman's Skin

Sunday morning:

Hereditary ; I watched it twice as the VOD glitched up a little so wanted to get my $5.99 out of it & make sure I didn't miss anything. I have no strong opinion on the film. I neither liked it a lot nor disliked it a lot.
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2333 on: September 18, 2018, 06:04:14 PM »

Last night was Cronenberg's The Fly from 1986 with Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis. Haven't watched this since I was kid but it made an impression on me then. Even better than I remembered. Can't imagine anyone better than Goldblum to play the part and goddamn was Geena Davis hot back then. Sfx on point, some really good dialogue especially in the 2nd half. Feel like I'm gonna be sampling this one at some point. I would watch it again today.

later this week i'm gonna have to peak at The Fly II which looks terrible. Or maybe I'll finally watch Hellraiser 6.

ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2334 on: September 21, 2018, 08:34:48 PM »

Last night was the incredibly shitty but somehow still enjoyable Hellraiser: Hellseeker. Somehow they got Ashley Laurence to reprise her character Kirsty for this 6th installment of the Hellraiser series. it's pretty similar to Hellraiser: Inferno which came right before so idkwtf. again its all "what's a dream, what's a nightmare and what's real" bullshit. but i always kinda like that bullshit. the twist is dumb, the acting is terrible and the dialogue is painful. but the women are attractive-ish and there's occasional titty and gore. and i appreciate it's mid '00s attempt at edgy. maybe i'm just a glutton for punishment but i can't wait to watch the next two: Hellraiser: Deader (!!!!!!) and Hellraiser: Hellworld, which look so fucking awful.

absurdexposition
Diehard user

« Reply #2335 on: September 21, 2018, 09:21:05 PM »

Last night was Romero's Diary of the Dead.

Last weekend was Night of the Living Dead 50th anniversary screening. Took a second to get used to 4:3 aspect ratio in a theatre setting.

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
http://www.screamandwrithe.com
bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2336 on: September 22, 2018, 06:12:24 PM »

Last night was William Friedkin's SORCERER- definitely my fave film by W.F. & possibly the greatest road movie ever made. The only thing that would make this film better is if you got the shits & lots of mosquito bites while watching.

HARDCORE starring George C. Scott is out for delivery today so I'll probably watch it tonight. I haven't seen it in a really long time.
online prowler
Diehard user

« Reply #2337 on: September 23, 2018, 12:29:21 PM »

Last night was William Friedkin's SORCERER- definitely my fave film by W.F. & possibly the greatest road movie ever made. The only thing that would make this film better is if you got the shits & lots of mosquito bites while watching.

HARDCORE starring George C. Scott is out for delivery today so I'll probably watch it tonight. I haven't seen it in a really long time.

The Nitzsche soundtrack on Hardcore is excellent!
bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2338 on: September 26, 2018, 07:10:37 PM »

Yeah, the guitar wailing & electronic sounds in Hardcore are pretty awesome as is G.C.Scott rampaging through a sex dungeon. I do wish the ending had been a little darker.

FallOfNature
user

« Reply #2339 on: September 28, 2018, 10:26:48 AM »

The Untold Story. This has been on my shelf for years and only watched it for the first time last night. Eccentric mix of typical Hong Kong black humor and some fairly mean spirited kills. Thoroughly enjoyable.

American Guinea Pig : Bouquet Of Guts And Gore. Contrived, shock value nonsense. This has already been done with films like Niku Daruma. Comparing it Flower Of Flesh And Blood is something I'll refuse to do, as that film is great in my opinion. Didn't like much about this at all and was bored through most of it.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 152 153 154 155 [156] 157 158 159 160 161
  Print  

Jump to: