Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DSOL

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on July 15, 2018, 07:54:54 PM
Quote from: DSOL on July 01, 2018, 05:58:13 PM
Watched Terrifierlast night. really enjoyed it. just a mindless slasher flick

I've seen the original short film. I think they made it into a full-length...? If they did that, it certainly can't be better than the short.

I watched THE DEVIL'S BUSINESS & THE VOID last night. Last weekend was free HBO/Cinemax so I caught a bunch of mainstream crap like IT, NOCTURNAL ANIMALS, some of WONDER WOMAN (I can't believe people liked this!), DUNKIRK, plus SECRETARY (2nd viewing since it was released), DARKMAN, BUG (William Friedkin's film)..

I still haven't checked out the short, but from what everyone is saying. if you enjoyed the short, you will like the flim

really like The Void, one of my favorites films released in the last couple of years
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

absurdexposition

Event Horizon and In the Mouth of Madness double feature last night.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

bitewerksMTB

Oh, and another from the HBO/Cinemax weekend was MY FRIEND DAHMER, which, is pretty good. Slightly too long but they did a good job telling the story of Jeffrey Dahmer's teen years.

garbagebody

I watched the 1988 "The Vanishing" last night and my god is that film a masterpiece. I've never seen a more subtle yet effective thriller. Some other films of interest that i've seen this week are: A Moment of Innocence, Eyes of Fire, The Man Who Sleeps, The Death King, and Mother Joan of The Angels.

ConcreteMascara

recap of the past month or slow of schlock

Death Ship - watched this one to review for my podcast. didn't have much in the way of expectations except for what bitewerks told me in advance. an absolutely absurd film and premise but really enjoyable in the 2nd half. George Kennedy hams it up and the rest of the cast is serviceable. the big reveal about the Death Ship was spoiled by the DVD menu beforehand so that was a little annoying. low on gore but high on silliness, definitely a movie that would benefit from a few beers. loved the blood shower scene though!

Just Before Dawn - doubling down on George Kennedy, I watched this one a few days later. had no expectations and wound up really enjoying it. great atmosphere, beautiful shots of the Oregon wilderness. unexpectedly great minimal score. not a ton of violence but really solid atmosphere and very hot leading lady. watched it on DVD but enjoyed it so much I'm gonna have to upgrade to the Bluray copy which to my understanding restores a bit of gore too.

Pieces - a friend of mine cleans out foreclosed properties and sometimes scores some good shit. he grabbed a bunch of DVDs from an abandoned meth house and this was one of them. the Diamond Entertainment version, it's easily the worst DVD transfer of the film i've seen, even being formatted for fullscreen. but Pieces is so insane it almost didn't make a difference. enjoyed it more than my first viewing and I hope to see it's fully uncut bluray version at some point. it's got all the subtlety of an Eli Roth movie but unlike an Eli Roth movie its actually fun.

Snowtown - watched a month or two ago. made Hounds of Love seem like a romantic comedy in comparison. fucking bleak stuff, which is somehow less brutal than the actual crimes. not one I'd return to anytime soon but definitely effective.

The Red Queen Kills Seven Times - Barbara Bouchet is reason enough to watch any movie. the fact that she gets a ton of screen-time makes this one that much better. an especially stylish giallo with gothic horror elements, the costuming (done by an Italian designer), the modern interiors, the fashion house and fashion models and solid murder scenes made me fall in love pretty fucking quick. and a great score too!  definitely recommended!

Seven Blood-Stained Orchids - this one is so mediocre that I only realized I had watched it before halfway into the movie. maybe it's the cut I watched but gore was super low (edited?). and there's nothing so dumb to get good/bad enjoyment out of it so generally I just didn't give a shit.

Mad Max, Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior, Mad Max: Fury Road - all 3 of these are absolutely flawless to my taste and will remain essential classics. Mad Max 2 was an essentially part of my adolescence and early teens. must have watched it 20+ times by the time I was 18. but the first Mad Max still really holds up for my taste and Fury Road is just like doing a 2hr long line of coke. If you're not into Mad Max we're probably not gonna be friends.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: theotherjohn on August 01, 2018, 06:48:47 PM
Quote from: ConcreteMascara on August 01, 2018, 05:48:36 PM
Snowtown - watched a month or two ago. made Hounds of Love seem like a romantic comedy in comparison. fucking bleak stuff, which is somehow less brutal than the actual crimes. not one I'd return to anytime soon but definitely effective.

I actually watched Hounds of Love on your recommendation and I had to say, I wasn't that shocked or unsettled, probably due to having seen Snowtown prior which set the bar for extreme Australian cinema. Having also recently read Let's Go Play At The Adams' by Mendal Johnson just prior to Hounds had probably dulled my senses too, god what a bleak book that is...

"Snowtown" might be a bleaker film with a heavier impact but I actually liked "Hounds of Love"  better, enjoyed watching it, and would re-watch it again anytime. Maybe it's that a few scenes remind me of "Blue Velvet" but I just really enjoyed it.
[death|trigger|impulse]

aububs

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on August 01, 2018, 05:48:36 PMJust Before Dawn - doubling down on George Kennedy, I watched this one a few days later. had no expectations and wound up really enjoying it. great atmosphere, beautiful shots of the Oregon wilderness. unexpectedly great minimal score. not a ton of violence but really solid atmosphere and very hot leading lady. watched it on DVD but enjoyed it so much I'm gonna have to upgrade to the Bluray copy which to my understanding restores a bit of gore too.

this movie has one of the greatest endings in horror imo

absurdexposition

Blood and Black Lace, sold out screening at the Quebec Cinematheque during the Fantasia Film festival. Pretty much a perfect flick and Arrow's restoration looks great.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

online prowler

Can recommend the 20-18 sci-fi film Upgrade. Original combination of b-movie and frontier sci-fi w well-developed concept and script.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9fXbkiKfmY

aububs

caught To Live and Die in LA in the cinema last night. incredible movie. friedkin has to be the most furious film maker of them all. if he was a cop i reckon he'd be the william petersen character, who is an absolute dickhead. was also really nice to see some confident shots of william petersen's penis during one of the sex scenes.

bitewerksMTB

Coma Detox

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on August 26, 2018, 05:05:57 AM
GIALLO IN VENICE blu-ray released by Scorpion Releasing!

Ordered! Didn't even know this was released on Blu-Ray.  The screen caps look great.  I can finally ditch my grubby looking rip from a long time ago.

Peterson

Quote from: aububs on August 19, 2018, 09:33:09 PM
was also really nice to see some confident shots of william petersen's penis during one of the sex scenes.

Just reserved a copy. Friedkin is great but that sells it.

DSOL

for anyone interested Terrifier will start streaming on Netflix starting September 1st
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Force Neurotic on August 26, 2018, 08:13:41 PM
Quote from: aububs on August 19, 2018, 09:33:09 PM
was also really nice to see some confident shots of william petersen's penis during one of the sex scenes.

Just reserved a copy. Friedkin is great but that sells it.

To Live and Die in LA is an awesome movie, in spite of and because of it's absolutely ludicrousness. It's all of the cop movie tropes set to maximum but with a totally ruthless vibe. a very pessimistic brother to Miami Vice. And Wang Chung's soundtrack is fucking perfect. pretty sure you can get a contact cocaine high just from watching it.
[death|trigger|impulse]