Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aububs

went to see Hereditary last night, thought it was great

don't read anything about it before watching

david lloyd jones

'Orgies of Edo' 1969 Terrorism Ishii Japan.

Maybe not as explicitly sexual as slightly later Nikatsu films, but nevertheless a cruel sadean display on offer

Hakaristi

Quote from: david lloyd jones on June 17, 2018, 11:43:44 PM
'Orgies of Edo' 1969 Terrorism Ishii Japan.

Maybe not as explicitly sexual as slightly later Nikatsu films, but nevertheless a cruel sadean display on offer

Great entry in Ishii's Joys of Torture series, this and Shogun's Sadism are the best ones IMO.

DSOL

seen Hereditary this past weekend. it was cool

only had one minor complaint
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

absurdexposition

Saw Hereditary on my birthday a couple weeks ago. I need to rewatch it at home. Packed theatre full of laughing adolescents ruined any mood the film was trying to establish. Though I can't see myself liking it much more, and it seems like most who are raving about it maybe forgot about or haven't seen any of the 60s/70s classics it draws heavily from.

Tremors on Sunday. Hadn't seen it since 2000 maybe. Still just ok.
Humanoids from the Deep yesterday. The monsters looked incredible. Otherwise, not enough hunting/killing/"mating" to match its description.
Eugenie de Sade tonight. My favourite Franco that I've seen to date.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

aububs

Quote from: absurdexposition on June 20, 2018, 04:24:07 AMit seems like most who are raving about it maybe forgot about or haven't seen any of the 60s/70s classics it draws heavily from.

i've seen them all and liked hereditary a lot

loads of people laughing and doing the clicking noise in my screening too but didn't really care. horror movies are funny. being scared is funny

also the susperia remake is going to be good. it has a lot of piss, i heard

DSOL

bitewerksMTB

Supposedly the Suspiria remake isn't really a remake, just highly influenced or something. They should have thought up a new title & let viewers work out the influences themselves. The one trailer I've seen looked better than I'd expect.

Combat Shock goes on sale tomorrow from Severin. Not sure it's a pre-order or they already have them in  hand.

https://vimeo.com/276141689/919afae034

Coma Detox

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on June 21, 2018, 09:21:42 PM
Supposedly the Suspiria remake isn't really a remake, just highly influenced or something. They should have thought up a new title & let viewers work out the influences themselves. The one trailer I've seen looked better than I'd expect.

Combat Shock goes on sale tomorrow from Severin. Not sure it's a pre-order or they already have them in  hand.

https://vimeo.com/276141689/919afae034

Just ordered the Combat Shock bundle.  Too bad the T-shirt bundle is sold out.  Severin said it'll ship the first or second week of July.

online prowler

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on June 16, 2018, 09:18:42 PM
Quote from: online prowler on June 11, 2018, 02:34:09 AM
Quote from: bitewerksMTB on June 10, 2018, 09:31:37 PM
Bill Lustig has announced that the original 16mm camera negative has been found for MANIAC & it is currently being scanned in 4K for an October release!

Marvelous good news !

No one has seen the 16mm orig. neg. of Maniac. It was blown up to 35mm for theatrical prints so the new transfer is going to be a huge difference.

I received Arrow's new release of Last House on the Left today. I mainly wanted it for the book written by Stephen Thrower.

Next week (the 22nd, I think?), Severin will start the ordering for Combat Shock. It's limited to 2000 copies & there will be no standard edition due to "contractual" reasons.  Severin is also releasing The Changeling in August. There's a UK release that is coming soon , I think, which will have all the same extras, etc. as the US release.

Watched PETS last night. From Vinegar Syndrome; obscure drive-in exploitation from 1973. Kind of tame (good bit of nudity & sort of fetishy) but the ending pays off as a textbook example of misogynistic, toxic masculinity.

I wasn't aware of the 16 vs 35 prints. I reckon now we will see a much better quality if things are done right. Looking forward to future release date.

Still skeptic about the Suspiria remake. Haven't bothered to watch the trailer yet. Like revamping Evil Dead, this to me, is infidel territory.

bitewerksMTB

HUMAN EXPERIMENTS (Scorpion Releasing)- this is more of a drama with elements of W.I.P., exploitation, & horror. The trailer makes it out to be a pure horror film. Kind of slow-moving but about an hour in, actress Linda Hayens really gets put through the ringer! Scorpion did a nice job on this film from 1979 (it actually looks older). I recognize the VHS cover art but it's one I never bothered to rent for whatever reason. Or maybe I've only seen the cover art in books and zines. Actually, I think I know the artwork from the various books,e tc. about Video Nasties.

DSOL

Jurassic World - Fallen Kingdom - I'm a sucker for the JP franchise because JP is one of my all time favorite movies. I knew going into the movie, that it was going to be complete ass, and well it started out okay and then by the last 30 minutes just went completed off the rails with just a shitty "surprise in the storyline"

DSOL

Watched Terrifierlast night. really enjoyed it. just a mindless slasher flick

absurdexposition

Boiled Angels: The Trial of Mike Diana
Went to see the screening of this at the Fantasia film festival here in Montreal yesterday. It was the international premiere and both Mike Diana and Frank Henenlotter were in attendance for Q&A after. Nice doc. Mike is very humble.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: DSOL on July 01, 2018, 05:58:13 PM
Watched Terrifierlast night. really enjoyed it. just a mindless slasher flick

I've seen the original short film. I think they made it into a full-length...? If they did that, it certainly can't be better than the short.

I watched THE DEVIL'S BUSINESS & THE VOID last night. Last weekend was free HBO/Cinemax so I caught a bunch of mainstream crap like IT, NOCTURNAL ANIMALS, some of WONDER WOMAN (I can't believe people liked this!), DUNKIRK, plus SECRETARY (2nd viewing since it was released), DARKMAN, BUG (William Friedkin's film)..