Special Interest
June 25, 2018, 05:42:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 147 148 149 150 151 152 [153] 154
  Print  
Author Topic: Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.  (Read 450580 times)
online prowler
Diehard user

« Reply #2280 on: June 11, 2018, 01:34:09 AM »

Bill Lustig has announced that the original 16mm camera negative has been found for MANIAC & it is currently being scanned in 4K for an October release!

Marvelous good news !
Yrjö-Koskinen
user

Hate globally, act peripherally

« Reply #2281 on: June 11, 2018, 09:03:02 AM »

the Halloween trailer looks very promising

It did, didn't it? I've given up horror movies almost completely since at least the late 90's (the only one I've seen in the past five years was Cabin in the Woods), but I'll make sure to check this out.

There will be fanservice and what-not, but if they do things right, that will be a bonus rather than an embarrassment.

Stoa / Obozdur - Split
Stoa / Obozdur - Water Spirits (Collaboration)

Synth är tuffare än hårdrock. Industri är tuffare ändå.

Ehkäpä vapaus.
DSOL
moderate user

« Reply #2282 on: June 11, 2018, 03:24:28 PM »

the Halloween trailer looks very promising

It did, didn't it? I've given up horror movies almost completely since at least the late 90's (the only one I've seen in the past five years was Cabin in the Woods), but I'll make sure to check this out.

There will be fanservice and what-not, but if they do things right, that will be a bonus rather than an embarrassment.

based on what I've read about the plot and where the story picks up, I have real high hopes for it. I have a feeling this movie is going to basically close out the story line.

DSOL
moderate user

« Reply #2283 on: June 11, 2018, 03:29:25 PM »

The Void- I love this movie. any movie that is able to mash Hellraiser and The Thing without coming off that wonky is a huge for me. still need to pick it up on Blu Ray before Netflix takes it off

THE RITA HN
Heavy user

« Reply #2284 on: June 14, 2018, 10:20:24 PM »

During my semi-usual prowling around the internet trying to find more footage of Laurence Olivier's MACBETH featuring Vivien Leigh, I finally watched the 1948 Welles' version and got absolutely floored.  Maybe one of most dark and atmospheric movie of all time with cinematographer John L. Russell (PSYCHO) at the helm.  You can see how even Bava got a ton of reference from it, etc.
If you haven't already watched it, just watch the introduction for a taste:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1_I36qHDts

Would be a heavy theatre double-bill with Polanski's version.

BUT ALSO
came across this incredibly dark MACBETH Russian animation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfnUq2_0FOY

bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2285 on: June 16, 2018, 08:18:42 PM »

Bill Lustig has announced that the original 16mm camera negative has been found for MANIAC & it is currently being scanned in 4K for an October release!

Marvelous good news !

No one has seen the 16mm orig. neg. of Maniac. It was blown up to 35mm for theatrical prints so the new transfer is going to be a huge difference.

I received Arrow's new release of Last House on the Left today. I mainly wanted it for the book written by Stephen Thrower.

Next week (the 22nd, I think?), Severin will start the ordering for Combat Shock. It's limited to 2000 copies & there will be no standard edition due to "contractual" reasons.  Severin is also releasing The Changeling in August. There's a UK release that is coming soon , I think, which will have all the same extras, etc. as the US release.

Watched PETS last night. From Vinegar Syndrome; obscure drive-in exploitation from 1973. Kind of tame (good bit of nudity & sort of fetishy) but the ending pays off as a textbook example of misogynistic, toxic masculinity.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 08:17:33 PM by bitewerksMTB » Logged

aububs
user

« Reply #2286 on: June 17, 2018, 08:15:57 PM »

went to see Hereditary last night, thought it was great

don't read anything about it before watching
david lloyd jones
Diehard user

« Reply #2287 on: June 17, 2018, 10:43:44 PM »

'Orgies of Edo' 1969 Terrorism Ishii Japan.

Maybe not as explicitly sexual as slightly later Nikatsu films, but nevertheless a cruel sadean display on offer
Sadomaniac
moderate user

« Reply #2288 on: June 17, 2018, 11:52:21 PM »

'Orgies of Edo' 1969 Terrorism Ishii Japan.

Maybe not as explicitly sexual as slightly later Nikatsu films, but nevertheless a cruel sadean display on offer

Great entry in Ishii's Joys of Torture series, this and Shogun's Sadism are the best ones IMO.
DSOL
moderate user

« Reply #2289 on: June 18, 2018, 02:32:05 PM »

seen Hereditary this past weekend. it was cool

only had one minor complaint

absurdexposition
Heavy user

« Reply #2290 on: June 20, 2018, 03:24:07 AM »

Saw Hereditary on my birthday a couple weeks ago. I need to rewatch it at home. Packed theatre full of laughing adolescents ruined any mood the film was trying to establish. Though I can't see myself liking it much more, and it seems like most who are raving about it maybe forgot about or haven't seen any of the 60s/70s classics it draws heavily from.

Tremors on Sunday. Hadn't seen it since 2000 maybe. Still just ok.
Humanoids from the Deep yesterday. The monsters looked incredible. Otherwise, not enough hunting/killing/"mating" to match its description.
Eugenie de Sade tonight. My favourite Franco that I've seen to date.

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
http://www.screamandwrithe.com
aububs
user

« Reply #2291 on: June 20, 2018, 09:21:05 PM »

it seems like most who are raving about it maybe forgot about or haven't seen any of the 60s/70s classics it draws heavily from.

i've seen them all and liked hereditary a lot

loads of people laughing and doing the clicking noise in my screening too but didn't really care. horror movies are funny. being scared is funny

also the susperia remake is going to be good. it has a lot of piss, i heard
DSOL
moderate user

« Reply #2292 on: June 21, 2018, 04:05:00 PM »

Susperia remake does look it's going to be pretty good

bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2293 on: June 21, 2018, 08:21:42 PM »

Supposedly the Suspiria remake isn't really a remake, just highly influenced or something. They should have thought up a new title & let viewers work out the influences themselves. The one trailer I've seen looked better than I'd expect.

Combat Shock goes on sale tomorrow from Severin. Not sure it's a pre-order or they already have them in  hand.

https://vimeo.com/276141689/919afae034
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 08:32:55 PM by bitewerksMTB » Logged

Coma Detox
moderate user

« Reply #2294 on: June 24, 2018, 03:31:46 AM »

Supposedly the Suspiria remake isn't really a remake, just highly influenced or something. They should have thought up a new title & let viewers work out the influences themselves. The one trailer I've seen looked better than I'd expect.

Combat Shock goes on sale tomorrow from Severin. Not sure it's a pre-order or they already have them in  hand.

https://vimeo.com/276141689/919afae034

Just ordered the Combat Shock bundle.  Too bad the T-shirt bundle is sold out.  Severin said it'll ship the first or second week of July.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 149 150 151 152 [153] 154
  Print  

Jump to: