Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aububs

Quote from: online prowler on May 17, 2018, 01:38:41 AM
Quote from: aububs on May 13, 2018, 05:08:10 PM
the same director did the american remake which looks like garbage

in general that is the coin: all american remakes are garbage.

that's mostly true but the director of the original remade his own film so he did a big shit all over his own work

online prowler

Quote from: aububs on May 17, 2018, 07:54:32 PM
Quote from: online prowler on May 17, 2018, 01:38:41 AM
Quote from: aububs on May 13, 2018, 05:08:10 PM
the same director did the american remake which looks like garbage

in general that is the coin: all american remakes are garbage.

that's mostly true but the director of the original remade his own film so he did a big shit all over his own work

He might be into scat and watersports then?

david lloyd jones

Nothing new appeals and awaiting purchase of James whale'so "the old dark house " upgrade from cheap crap royalty free dvd to arty restoration.

SiClark

Quote from: DSOL on May 17, 2018, 05:44:10 PM
Jeepers Creepers 3. not good, but worth at least one watch
I tried it but had to turn it off. I watch tons of horror films and have no problems with crappy films but this was too bad to finish.

bitewerksMTB

Watched Intruder & Wild Beasts this week and just received House on Sorority Row which I have never seen.

Synapse/Impulse will be releasing White Rose Campus: Everybody Gets Raped! on dvd in a couple of months! Understandably, they have dispensed with part of the title. Sure hope they put out a few more of the twisted Nikkatsu films this year.

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: Si Clark on May 18, 2018, 08:05:10 PM
Quote from: DSOL on May 17, 2018, 05:44:10 PM
Jeepers Creepers 3. not good, but worth at least one watch
I tried it but had to turn it off. I watch tons of horror films and have no problems with crappy films but this was too bad to finish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Salva

cr

Watched "The Blue Light" by Leni Riefenstahl from 1932 on youtube, after reading the chapter in the Blutleuchte book from Mr. Hallstatt made me quite curious about it.
Kept my thoughts occupied for a while. Great and beautiful b/w film and a quite sad kind of fairytale.

Hakaristi

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 18, 2018, 10:55:54 PMSynapse/Impulse will be releasing White Rose Campus: Everybody Gets Raped! on dvd in a couple of months! Understandably, they have dispensed with part of the title. Sure hope they put out a few more of the twisted Nikkatsu films this year.

They did a similar thing with Zoom In: Rape Apartments. Great to see these gems getting the treatment they deserve, particularly Kôyû Ohara's work. Now they just need to release his tour de force, Zoom Up: Rape Site!

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: Sadomaniac on May 19, 2018, 07:10:31 AM
Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 18, 2018, 10:55:54 PMSynapse/Impulse will be releasing White Rose Campus: Everybody Gets Raped! on dvd in a couple of months! Understandably, they have dispensed with part of the title. Sure hope they put out a few more of the twisted Nikkatsu films this year.

They did a similar thing with Zoom In: Rape Apartments. Great to see these gems getting the treatment they deserve, particularly Kôyû Ohara's work. Now they just need to release his tour de force, Zoom Up: Rape Site!

I'm pretty sure Zoom Up: Rape Site is on the list to be released by Synapse/Impulse. It's too bad they can't get new transfers for Blu-ray but then again, these films may not sell enough to warrant the extra expense. I know I haven't picked a lot of them up; I do own Zoom In: Rape Apartments. I almost ordered the two Sex Hunter films the other day but was side-tracked...

bitewerksMTB

I've never heard of Miss Neslie's Dolls until recently:

"Network of the UK will release Blu-rays of two American exploitation flicks, WHO KILLED TEDDY BEAR (1965) and MISS LESLIE'S DOLLS (1973). Due in August of 2018.

Network released TEDDY BEAR on PAL DVD a few years ago, in a slightly cut version when compared to the US release print. I assume that their Blu-ray will be the same version, but I'll post here again if I'm incorrect.

MISS LESLIE'S DOLLS has never been released on home video before, to my knowledge. "

I'm not familiar with Who Killed Teddy Bear, either. Other than I've ran across the title before.

Hakaristi

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 19, 2018, 07:53:08 PM
Quote from: Sadomaniac on May 19, 2018, 07:10:31 AM

I'm pretty sure Zoom Up: Rape Site is on the list to be released by Synapse/Impulse. It's too bad they can't get new transfers for Blu-ray but then again, these films may not sell enough to warrant the extra expense. I know I haven't picked a lot of them up; I do own Zoom In: Rape Apartments. I almost ordered the two Sex Hunter films the other day but was side-tracked...

Exciting to hear about ZU: RS! One of the most infamous and elusive violent pinks. Seems they've committed to a BD release too. Although with these films any format's better than the unsubbed VHS dupes originally viewed, heh. Sex Hunter: 1980 is fantastic, ain't seen Wet Target but sounds more of a thriller. Keeping my fingers crossed for a Subway Serial Rape box set!

david lloyd jones

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 19, 2018, 10:02:48 PM
I've never heard of Miss Neslie's Dolls until recently:

"Network of the UK will release Blu-rays of two American exploitation flicks, WHO KILLED TEDDY BEAR (1965) and MISS LESLIE'S DOLLS (1973). Due in August of 2018.

Network released TEDDY BEAR on PAL DVD a few years ago, in a slightly cut version when compared to the US release print. I assume that their Blu-ray will be the same version, but I'll post here again if I'm incorrect.

MISS LESLIE'S DOLLS has never been released on home video before, to my knowledge. "

I'm not familiar with Who Killed Teddy Bear, either. Other than I've ran across the title before.

Who killed teddy bear  is a perverse little gem
Grubber and far less  accomplished than a peeping tom or a twisted nerve  but very enjoyable
Miss lesllie'so dolls is a mysteryoung to me

ConcreteMascara

Over the past week or so:

John Carpenter's "The Fog" - i think this is a classic case of misaligned expectations for me. Somehow I had never watched "the Fog" until last week and I guess I was expecting something more violent and gore-y than what I got. Adrienne Barbeau was great and Tom Atkins played his usual angry, young girl banging self, but in terms of actual horror/suspense it didn't work for me. Even the underlying plot seemed relatively cool but the overall execution literally put me to sleep several times during the movie.

"Event Horizon" - I saw this one in theaters way back when. I was 10 years old and it scared the shit out of me. In the several viewings since my opinion has fluctuated. As of my most recent viewing, it's a damn enjoyable movie! Like some crossbreed of Hellraiser and the Shining in space, but with a visual style all its own. I understand the movie was rushed out of post-production and never truly finished. That's definitely the feeling I get when most of the last 30 minutes is significantly weaker than the first 2/3rds of the movie. But I still really enjoyed this way more than I expected to on this latest viewing.

feeling a need to see Sam Neill's beautiful face again, last night was John Carpenter's "In The Mouth of Madness". I started watching it a few years ago but wasn't really in the mood and never picked it back up. Watching the whole thing last night, I was kicking myself for not giving it a proper viewing sooner. I really really liked this one. Pretty solid dialogue, good practical effects, an overall very cool plot. and HP Lovecraft references galore!  I think it's up there with some of Carpenter's best films from the '80s! It probably helps that I'm going through another cycle of obsessing over HP Lovecraft and anything related but I feel pretty confident I'd like this one in 6 months as much as I did last night.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

DSOL

Demon Wind - the description on Shudder didn't make seem like it was going to be that terrible. it was pretty bad, bad acting, shitty FX/gore. do not recommend

revisited Re-Animator also, loved the movie growing up but haven't watched it in some time. still great
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

david lloyd jones

Just bought and really looking forward to watching the Eureka  issue of 'The old dark house ' by James  Whale.
Only ever seen as cheap copyright free disc.
The film itself is highly entertaining so seeing a pristine print anticipated.
Extras sound OK as well.

After may watch the arrow disc 'death smiles  on a murderer'by Joe D'amato.  Has a hopefully typically over ripe Kinski appearance.