Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: aububs on May 02, 2018, 08:11:54 PM
saw A Quiet Place yesterday too

thought it was pretty bad

really irritating score

the guy's whiteboard saying things like "BLIND" and "ATTACK SOUND" and "what is their WEAKNESS" was really stupid

I rather liked the score. The whiteboard stuff was stupid but it didn't ruin the movie for me.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Peterson

Tons of Aussie films past few weeks:

The Tracker (2002, Ian Sharp) - Aussie western with Aboriginal lead role. Awful, awful soundtrack but excellent story and cinematography. A must-see.

Mystery Road (2013, Ivan Sen) - Another Aussie western with an Aboriginal lead, sort of like a modern-day retelling of The Tracker. Not amazing but still a great slow-burner without a ton of dialogue and as you'd expect, lots of serene desert cinematography. Realistic gunfight scene was great. Worth a watch but the story doesn't quite unfold as the beginning implies. Subtle and minimalist, I guess.

The Proposition (2005, John Hillcoat/Nick Cave) - Definitely seems like a movie Nick Cave would've been involved with. As such, it's fuckin' great. Old-timey Aussie western where the stakes are high for everyone involved and no positive resolution anywhere in sight. If you haven't seen it, see it - features David Gulipill in a role that's sort of opposite his character in The Tracker. Haven't seen Guy Pearce in anything he didn't nail, so recommended for fans of Memento.

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994, Stephan Elliott) - Not-bad screwball comedy/road movie about some drag queens and one transsexual on a road trip, finding themselves along the way, yadda yadda. Too Hollywood for me, even though I watched it thinking of it as a better predecessor to To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Junie Newmar.  Terrence Stamp's convincing portrayal of an aged, embittered trans character is ace, but everything else was too wacky and family-friendly.

bitewerksMTB

A couple more worthwhile Aussie films: RAZORBACK and ROAD GAMES.

Hakaristi

Quote from: Force Neurotic on May 04, 2018, 12:49:11 AM
The Proposition (2005, John Hillcoat/Nick Cave) - Definitely seems like a movie Nick Cave would've been involved with.

Check out Ghosts.. of the Civil Dead if you haven't yet - Hillcoat/Cave's '88 prison film. Nick steals the show with his psychotic performance. Killer OST too.

Not seen The Tracker but de Heer's earlier films Bad Boy Bubby and Alexandra's Project are both mandatory.

More recommended Oz fare:

The Boys ('98)
Metal Skin
Idiot Box
Chopper
Dogs in Space
He Died with a Felafel in His Hand
True Love and Chaos
Hounds of Love
The Horseman
Animal Kingdom
Turkey Shoot
The Year My Voice Broke

aububs

BODY MELT is an excellent aussie melt movie

harold from neighbours is in it

aububs

Death Warmed Up is another good one altho it's from new zealand (same thing). it's from 1984 and about a guy who is brainwashed to kill his parents by a mad scientist, gets locked up in a mental asylum for 7 years, and then gets out and goes to take revenge on the mad scientist who is now living on a remote island doing experiments on humans. it has zombies, motorbikes, and a lot of gore

ConcreteMascara

re the Aussie stuff, I will give a quick recommendation for The Proposition. Watched it in theaters and have seen it many times since. absolutely love that one. nihilistic violence and good actors all the way around. a "must watch" imo.

last night was a bit of a curveball given my usual watching habits, Desmond Davis's Clash of the Titans from 1981. I heard this was terrible but also not because of Ray Harryhausen. and yeah that sums it up. everything that was practical effects and stop motion ruled, except that stupid fucking owl, and everything else was pretty bad. except for some excellent titties here and there. i did appreciate that the movie got across how deluded and petty the Greek gods were.

watching it reminded me of Jason and the Argonauts which I fucking worshiped as a little kid. I can still vividly remember the scene with the harpies. will probably be revisiting that one for the first time in 20+ years soon.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Euro Trash Bazooka

I love Body Melt, Bad Boy Bubby and Turkey Shoot, whose beast reminds me of the one in The Beast In Heat. The OST is amazing too.
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

bitewerksMTB

I think Body Melt will be getting a U.S. Blu-ray release. Maybe by Vinegar Syndrome but I could be wrong. I've never seen it but have read good things.

Turkey Shoot is on bd from Severin & it's a cool film. There's some pretty gnarly violence.

Fair Game is another Aussie film. The trailer looks interesting & there was a recent Oz bd release that DiabolikDVD carries. Same with Road Games which is a serial killer-truck driving flick with Stacy Keach & Jamie Lee Curtis. There's a lot of footage of the long, desolate highways through the outback.

I really wish Death Warmed Up would get a nice bd release but I recently read that the orig. camera neg. no longer exists. I remember seeing on vhs one time but remember nothing about it other than the box art. Actually, this is a film from nearby New Zealand...

Hakaristi

As a kiwi I'm ashamed to say I haven't seen Death Warmed Up, in the process of remedying that now! Grew up on Peter Jacksons early splatter flicks which owe a debt to DWU. Few other good NZ films - Once Were Warriors, Out of the Blue, Heavenly Creatures, Battletruck, Top of the Lake series, Tickled documentary.

For some no-budget Aussie ultra-violence there's Richard Wolstencroft's films Bloodlust! and Pearls Before Swine (feat. Boyd Rice & Douglas P). And Mark Savage's output, Marauders and Defenceless in particular.

aububs

i wouldn't worry about it, i'm irish and make it a policy not to watch irish movies, they all suck

Hakaristi

Generally I tend to avoid our domestic films/tv too which is how the occasional worthwhile one will pass me by. Dunno about movies but The Fall and Love/Hate were both decent Irish shows!

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: Sadomaniac on May 05, 2018, 07:09:46 AMRichard Wolstencroft's films Bloodlust! and Pearls Before Swine (feat. Boyd Rice & Douglas P).

Don't know about "Bloodlust" but "Pearls Before Swine" was definitely one of the worst movies I've ever seen. By that I mean it's too cluttered and boring to be entertaining and too cliched to be edifying. A love letter from Wolstencroft to Rice, basically.
Shikata ga nai.

Hakaristi

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on May 06, 2018, 05:33:24 AM
Quote from: Sadomaniac on May 05, 2018, 07:09:46 AMRichard Wolstencroft's films Bloodlust! and Pearls Before Swine (feat. Boyd Rice & Douglas P).

Don't know about "Bloodlust" but "Pearls Before Swine" was definitely one of the worst movies I've ever seen. By that I mean it's too cluttered and boring to be entertaining and too cliched to be edifying. A love letter from Wolstencroft to Rice, basically.

Prefer Bloodlust of the two but I'd agree they're both horrible Troma-style films, nonetheless still noteworthy in the cannon of Oz trash cinema IMO. Boyd's monologues on fascism and epic Might Is Right rants in Pearls Before Swine sound straight from the mouth of a teenage satanist, hah... think there were some Sotos/Pure references in there too.

absurdexposition

Pearls is worth it for this scene alone: https://youtu.be/Qb2yWpj_3Ss

There's also that bizarre moment at the beginning where Douglas creeps out of the dark in his camo/mask getup.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com