Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moozz

Mr. Vampire (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089371)

Saw this at a film festival earlier this week. Martial arts horror comedy from 1985, made in Hong Kong. Pretty much nonstop weirdness, action and awesomeness. At time the retarded childish Asian humor was a bit too much for me but the rest was pure gold. Did you know vampires cannot see you if you hold your breath?

bitewerksMTB

Last night was The Beast Within from 1981. Pretty damn good. Ignore Scream Factory's silly 'Teen Wolf'-style artwork. You can flip the cover over with the orig. poster art. This film as some early, wild transformation special efx & a plot unlike anything else from that time period.

online prowler

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on March 18, 2018, 10:22:18 PM
Last night was The Beast Within from 1981. Pretty damn good. Ignore Scream Factory's silly 'Teen Wolf'-style artwork. You can flip the cover over with the orig. poster art. This film as some early, wild transformation special efx & a plot unlike anything else from that time period.

The Beast Within. This one is news to me. Haven't heard of it and after checking the trailer online I am lusting to check it out. Seems like a peach. Thanx for the share.

bitewerksMTB

Charley Varrick- cool crime film directed by Don Siegel right after Dirty Harry. It stars the actor whom played the killer in D.H. along with Walter Matthau & Joe Don Baker (Walking Tall) as a self-righteous mafia henchman who 'does not knowingly sleep with whores'.

ConcreteMascara

re-watched Takashi Miike's "Audition" last night. Been a long time and I think it still holds up quite well. The image quality on my copy isn't the greatest but it actually added a lot to the atmosphere. hoping to watch Miike's "Gozu" soon which has been recommended to me many times but I've never actually seen.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

bitewerksMTB

Yeah, Audition definitely holds up. I wouldn't mind picking up the Arrow UK blu as it's suppose to the best release of the film; the US blu is reportedly awful looking.

I've seen Gozu. I had a dvd-r of it. I watched it once & that was it. I don't remember liking it or really anything about it.

I've got Walking Tall on right now...

david lloyd jones

Just picked up $the ballad  of Shirley  Collins 'biog of great UK folk singer

ConcreteMascara

picked up a copy of "Tetsuo: The Bullet Man" by Shinya Tsukamato. I've seen the first two Tetsuo films and worship both, but this one has always made me a little nervous. but it was cheap and will probably be worth the $10 I spent so what the hell. The only other Tsukamato film I've seen outside of the Tetsuo series is "Vital" which is fucking great, but I need to check out his other work. Anyone have any recommendations?
[death|trigger|impulse]

bitewerksMTB

I'm not sure I've seen the third Tetsuo film. Until looking it up, I was thinking there were only two. The second, I know I've seen, but I don't remember shit about it. Titles of his other films are all familiar but I'm not sure what I have seen.

Last weekend was free Showtime so I saw The Girl on the Train (useless melodrama); Contracted (lesbian body horror); and Maniac (the remake which is okay. The heel severing is the best scene. This is kind of like a remake by someone more inspired by Argento than sleazy slashers). I have The Autopsy of Jane Doe waiting on the dv-r. Seems like it received positive comments so I'm expecting it to suck.

Watch for Night of the Living Dead on Turner Classic Movies. They recently ran the new restoration by the Museum of Modern Art & it looks great! I was going to buy the new Criterion release but watching it on TCM will work just fine.

Peterson

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on March 29, 2018, 10:59:59 PM
Maniac (the remake which is okay. The heel severing is the best scene. This is kind of like a remake by someone more inspired by Argento than sleazy slashers).

The one with Elijah Wood?? Really?

moozz

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on March 29, 2018, 03:41:43 PM
picked up a copy of "Tetsuo: The Bullet Man" by Shinya Tsukamato. I've seen the first two Tetsuo films and worship both, but this one has always made me a little nervous. but it was cheap and will probably be worth the $10 I spent so what the hell. The only other Tsukamato film I've seen outside of the Tetsuo series is "Vital" which is fucking great, but I need to check out his other work. Anyone have any recommendations?

I quite liked Haze, a claustrophobic short film (49 min). Even if I am not claustrophobic this made me feel uneasy. Even if you don't like it it's less than 1 hour of your time!

Hakaristi

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on March 29, 2018, 03:41:43 PMThe only other Tsukamato film I've seen outside of the Tetsuo series is "Vital" which is fucking great, but I need to check out his other work. Anyone have any recommendations?

A Snake of June and Tokyo Fist are his two best ones outside of the Tetsuo films IMO. ASoJ is a monochromatic psychosexual noir and TF is like an ultra-violent Raging Bull.

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: Force Neurotic on March 30, 2018, 12:45:11 AM
Maniac (the remake which is okay. The heel severing is the best scene. This is kind of like a remake by someone more inspired by Argento than sleazy slashers).

Yeah, it's okay as in "This doesn't suck shit like I expected it to". Wood does look like a scruffy teenager instead of a serial killer but should be given a little credit for taking the role considering it was guaranteed people would hate it.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jun/27/entertainment/la-et-mn-maniac-review-20130628

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on March 30, 2018, 03:38:45 AM
Quote from: Force Neurotic on March 30, 2018, 12:45:11 AM

Yeah, it's okay as in "This doesn't suck shit like I expected it to". Wood does look like a scruffy teenager instead of a serial killer but should be given a little credit for taking the role considering it was guaranteed people would hate it.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jun/27/entertainment/la-et-mn-maniac-review-20130628

Agreed that the heel slashing is the best part! It was definitely the kind of movie that had me think "well this isnt the worst remake ever made".

Watched "Tetsuo the Bullet Man" last night and Im sad to report it was not very good. Its all shot on shaky cam thats so shaky my one friend actually walked away with motion sickness. Chu Ishikawa's sountrack was the best part.

Ive seen the 2nd Tetsuo and probably liked that one best but the DVD is OOP and stupid expensive currently.

Moozz and Sadomaniac thanks for the recommendations, Ill start there.

Also picked up "Izo" by Takashi Miike which is a personal favorite. 2 hours of hyper violent insanity. Looking forward to rewatching it.
[death|trigger|impulse]

bitewerksMTB

Western fans should check out Tom Horn starring Steve McQueen. Definitely recommended!

The Offence looks good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZT-x_dp4jo