Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

online prowler

Quote from: david lloyd jones on February 02, 2018, 01:34:52 AM
The Hounds of Love

Can highly recommend the film. Excellent cinematography, script, lighting, acting and direction. Worth getting. See it's up for 7 quid via Amazon UK now.

david lloyd jones

just got the new arrow release of argento's 'cat o nine tails'.
not the best argento but usual great arrow packaging.

bitewerksMTB

I watched The Burning last night. It's funny that Harvey Weinstein wrote the original screenplay. The ending isn't as great as I remembered but it's still pretty good especially the abandoned mine setting.

Just received blu's of Bewitched (Shaw Brothers) & The Void (very cheap at DiabolikDVD) and have the Aussie film, Daddy's Little Girl on the way. I ran across it scanning reviews on Hounds of Love.

absurdexposition

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on February 06, 2018, 01:13:07 AM
The Void

Just watched this last night. An hour and a half long nod to Carpenter and Clive Barker. It gets the job done.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

david lloyd jones

'special silencers'- film from indonesia picked up as boot.
less cosmic than the blurb, was nevertheless an enjoyable heroes/villains thing with cheap fx(filmed in 1979 so pre digital), non euro vibe.
worth the £4 it cost

bitewerksMTB

I thought The Void was pretty okay. It'll get another viewing at some point. In one of the extras, the original idea for the monster at the ending, looked way better than what they used. I thought the skull looked odd & the doctor should have been dripping with fluids. Seems the ending may have been influenced by Fulci's The Beyond...? That is if I'm remembering how T.B. ends correctly. Oh, and The Void has some pretty good sounds going on in the soundtrack.

absurdexposition

Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

bitewerksMTB

Last night was D.C.'s second film, Rabid, and I just finished the Aussie torture-revenge film, Daddy's Little Girl, which, shares some plot points with the French film, 7 DAYS/LES 7 JOURS DE TALION.

I was thinking it was a shame Marilyn Chambers was not included in the extras on the Rabid disc but that'd be difficult considering that she's dead! At least, D.C. mentions her "infamous husband" in his interview.

bitewerksMTB

This past Saturday was William Castle's BUG then THE VVITCH (the dialogue is intense) followed by FROM A WHISPER TO A SCREAM starring Vincent Price.

I just found a copy of the Arrow bd release of HG Lewis' BLOOD FEAST for $10 & last week I picked up THE GRUESOME TWOSOME for pretty cheap. I'm not a huge fan of his work but he is important & I think it'll be fun seeing his junky movies again. Definitely looking forward to the future release of TWO-THOUSAND MANIACS!

Really, really great news:

"CINEMA ARCANA FB Page:

"Welcome to Potters Bluff." Some exciting news that was seemingly lost in the shuffle last Summer – Blue Underground are giving Gary Sherman's essential DEAD AND BURIED (1981) a Blu redo later this year, sourcing a fresh 4K scan of the original negative with restoration and color timing supervised by the director and DP Steve Poster!"

aububs

dead and buried is a stone classic

sherman's first 3 movies are all 10/10

david lloyd jones

Quote from: david lloyd jones on February 02, 2018, 01:34:52 AM
"Did someone here write about The Hounds of Love? I noticed Arrow released it on bd/dvd. Is it worth checking out?"

yeah, a new arrow release, not seen any reviews but cover mentions it as true crime in same sentence as 'snowtown', a hard act to follow.
still, sounded interesting enough to consider.

Just watched and,possibly due to mindset,was not impressed and stopted an hour or so in.
Certainly nowhere near snow town as great Austin crime film.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: aububs on February 21, 2018, 09:50:13 PM
dead and buried is a stone classic

sherman's first 3 movies are all 10/10

agreed. of all the great posters Jay Shaw has done in the past 5-10 years, his poster for Dead & Buried is probably my favorite. which is why it's framed in my apartment.

[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

bitewerksMTB

That D&B poster is great!

Last night I watched Symptoms & The Dorm that Dripped Blood while it was raining.

cr

This afternoon, while waiting for an electrician to repair some things, but who never showed up, I decided to watch The Wicker Man again.
I don't think the movie needs more comments or any introduction, but bonus The Wicker Man Enigma documentary on one of the discs was really interesting, for example that the original cut and some raw footage of the film couldn't be found and are supposed to be buried under the M4 motorway...