Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbagebody

I've been getting through Konstantin Lopushanskiy's filmography and have loved everything I've seen so far. I have his newest film next on the queue after To Kill a Dragon by Mark Zakharov. I also recently watched Valhalla Rising and Gerald's Game. Both of which were tiresome and plodding for me. At least Valhalla Rising was pleasant to look at most of the time.

Deadpriest

Just watched Snake in June for the first time in about 12 years. 
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

absurdexposition

Quote from: garbagebody on October 13, 2017, 10:51:56 AM
I also recently watched Valhalla Rising and Gerald's Game. Both of which were tiresome and plodding for me. At least Valhalla Rising was pleasant to look at most of the time.

I think VR is one of the greatest of all time. Just a completely brutal film.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

garbagebody

Quote from: absurdexposition on October 13, 2017, 08:39:47 PM

Something about the lack of character development made the brutality seem underwhelming. Bone Tomahawk's brutality for instance felt much more powerful because of emotional investment and the subtlety of the rest of the film. When i watch these newer films i cannot help but find the ultraviolence boring. Maybe i have nostalgia-glasses on but something about the stylized overproduced scenes of violence don't stick with me.

Petrificado

Two episodes into the new Netflix show you Mindhunter. Enjoying it so far. David Fincher and serial killers obviously brings high hopes, if this reaches anywhere near the level of Zodiac I'll be impressed.

absurdexposition

Quote from: garbagebody on October 14, 2017, 12:34:25 PM
Quote from: absurdexposition on October 13, 2017, 08:39:47 PM

Something about the lack of character development made the brutality seem underwhelming. Bone Tomahawk's brutality for instance felt much more powerful because of emotional investment and the subtlety of the rest of the film. When i watch these newer films i cannot help but find the ultraviolence boring. Maybe i have nostalgia-glasses on but something about the stylized overproduced scenes of violence don't stick with me.

I'd say there's actually considerable depth to Valhalla Rising. On the flipside, I didn't like Bone Tomahawk so maybe I missed something there.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

david lloyd jones

Valhalla rising definitely has an intensity to it, despite  lack of characterisation-assumed characters were archetypes here, the one eyed main being odin/heathenism.

garbagebody

I'll be watching the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre tonight. Somehow I had never got around to watching it. I think I've only seen one of the sequels/spin-offs/remakes when i was a child and never really got into it as a name. This is long overdue.

david lloyd jones

aububs

it's not old, it's the new film from the guy who made bone tomahawk, and it's not pastiche although the poster is.

looking forward to his next movie too, Dragged Across Concrete

THE RITA HN

Holocaust parte seconda: i ricordi, i deliri, la vendetta (1980)
Incredible, powerful opening 'music'.  Like watching an early European PE project come vividly to life on the Eurotrash screen.

david lloyd jones

'witches hammer' a 1969 czech film  along the lines of 'witchfinder general' and 'mark of the devil' but with a more serious, less exploitation tone, though, despite being black and white, just asgraphic for the time.

Theodore

Fury : WWII movie with Brad Pitt etc. in the cast. The crew of a US tank in the Germany, final stage of the war. No scenario, no story. Except the useless chat and dialogs in the tank or at camps, pretty much just battlefield action. Nice grey colours, wet environment, mud, dirt, blood, dismembered bodies, smell of war. Good for what it is. I liked, "honest" movie.

Children Of The Corn : Based on a Stephen King's story. Idea is good. Children of a town kill all adults, they practice a religion where no adult should live, they get sacrificed when they turn 19 too. Movie not so ... No much kills, they are not pictured either, no scary kids -except Isaac- , no agony or real horror. I disliked the existence of a beast in the story. So, not much worthy here.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

Strömkarlen

Quote from: Theodore on October 23, 2017, 04:16:40 AM

Children Of The Corn : Based on a Stephen King's story. Idea is good. Children of a town kill all adults, they practice a religion where no adult should live, they get sacrificed when they turn 19 too. Movie not so ... No much kills, they are not pictured either, no scary kids -except Isaac- , no agony or real horror. I disliked the existence of a beast in the story. So, not much worthy here.

I would go for Who can kill a child? instead. Loved it when I saw it at midnight screening years ago. HUGE screen and an audience that cheered kids getting gun down. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIBd-DmzUp8