Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

absurdexposition

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on September 23, 2017, 02:47:58 AM
I remember sneaking into the theater to see Body Double. It's a good one but I had to look it up as I was thinking of Blow Out starring John Travolta. I've seen B.D.  a couple of times over the last year or so on a cable station. Seems like the ending is kind of dumb? The scene with Frankie Goes to Hollywood is great!

True, the ending is kind of dumb. Blow Out is on deck for the near future.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

HONOR_IS_KING!

Kwaidan Received the Criterion Collection 2xDvD as an early birthday gift. Managed to watch the first two stories before falling asleep and its easily one of the most beautiful films I've seen. The backgrounds and use of color is off the wall. Looking forward to finishing up the last two stories.
KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109

bitewerksMTB

Watching The Wrestler right now. Better than Mother!, that's for sure.

Earlier was Of Unknown Origin. It's hard to not like Peter Weller battling a giant rat with metal rat trap jaws nailed to a baseball bat, running around destroying everything in his NYC brownstone.

Last night was Charles Bronson in The Stone Killer from 1973. It's a silly story of an army of assassins killing a mafia family as revenge for a slaying back in 1931. There's a host of loony characters and hippies. Bronson is a violent cop, if you can believe that! The ending is a bloodbath with machine gun deaths galore and a great shot of a man crashing out of a high rise window then landing flat on his chest on the sidewalk. Unfortunately, an arm doesn't fly off like in Dr. Butcher, MD.

holy ghost

Hidden Figures was excellent. I watched it on Netflix the other night. I don't think I've enjoyed a "mainstream" movie that much in a loooooong time. It was well written, the acting was great and the score was spot on. I was a little hesitant considering Kevin Costner and that little prick from that stupid show about science that my parents seem to think is so goddamned funny were I'm it but totally enjoyable.

Andrew McIntosh

Completely by chance I discovered "Fires on the Plain" on YouTube. Nothing but misery and pain from go to woah. A failing army falling apart, knowing that they're defeated and still fighting on because it's the done thing. Some great wide screen shots, use of light and dark, etc. The Japanese really have made some excellent cinema over the years.
Shikata ga nai.

Kayandah

Quote from: Deadpriest on September 20, 2017, 03:18:03 PM
Pieta, excitingly fucked up Korean film about a debt collector (who collects his debts by crippling his deters and collecting the insurance money) whose mother returns after a lifelong absence.
Really really loved this film by Kim Ki Duk.

His film Bad Guy is one of my favorites.Needless to say it pissed off a lot of people with its content but I like the fact it doesn't stick to the usual moral outrage of women forced into prostitution.

Kayandah

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on September 21, 2017, 09:06:26 PM

Watched Hellbound: Hellraiser II last night and I can't help but agree with what I heard before watching which is it's superior to the first. the visions of hell, the continued goopiness, the continued incest vibes and the excellent scene where a mental patient is handed a straight razor. it's good shit. probably going to trudge through the next 8 films over the coming weeks out OCD need.

I always felt Hellbound was inferior, unless it is gore you want. Also it makes the cardinal mistake of featuring too much Pinhead thereby reducing his  effectiveness as a character

Part 3 isn't bad, from memory the exploration of how he became pinhead is interesting but the film humanizes a character who is meant to be unhuman, also it looks really dated

But i would stop after that, everything that follows is hideous.

Supposedly Tarsin singh was working on a remake on hellraiser a long time ago - now that would have been something worth seeing, instead he just makes shlocky hollywood fare now

david lloyd jones

just picked up arrow upgrade of suspicious death of a minor by sergio martino
the shop has instore sale of 88 films so will be plugging gaps. started with cold blooded beast ferdinand de leo's sole (i think) giallo
not a patch on his thrillers, but still most enjoyable as overblown trash.
also gotafter the fall of new york a sergio martino entry into the itallo mad max, warriors rip offs.

aububs

watched La Bete and Mad Foxes last night.

mad foxes is fun but la bete is next level holy god.

david lloyd jones

next up from 88 films promo cheapies is 'syndicate sadists', 'massacre in dinosaur valley' and 'perfume of the lady in black'.
three very different italian exploitationers.

bitewerksMTB

I do not believe I've seen La Bete but Mad Foxes is a blast! I wouldn't mind owning it. I keep thinking that a U.S. company would get the rights for a release.

Cold-Blooded Beast is okay from what little I remember. I have it on dvd from Raro (Italy). I remember the ending being the best & the U.S. release by Shriek Show was fucked up. Missing a scene or nudity/sex, I think? Which is why I own the European release.

A few nights ago was Monster: Humanoids from the Deep, which, is great sea monster-exploitation fun. I'm thinking tonight I'll check out Piranha, another Roger Corman horror 'classic'.

I have The Slayer & Zombie Flesh Eaters Arrow blu's in transit. I've seen T.S. (on vhs double-feature with Scalps) but remember nothing about it .

aububs

i'm not sure if you'd like La Bete. it's kind of pretentious. but when the bestiality hits it just goes for broke like nothing else

mad foxes is definitely a blast. the version i saw was pretty explicit but i still got a nagging feeling it could have been cut

absurdexposition

What Have They Done to Your Daughters? 1974, Massimo Dallamano

Been in the queue for a while and pulled the trigger tonight only because of the 'horror' tag on IMDB. That tag needs to be removed. Not horror in the least, but the good thing is that this came out of nowhere and totally floored me at nearly every turn. The score, the camera work, the writing, the plot, the pacing, the reveals, the tease of sleaze, everything. Recommended if you're into Italian crime flicks of that era (with just a hint of giallo).
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

david lloyd jones

Quote from: absurdexposition on October 06, 2017, 05:44:59 AM
What Have They Done to Your Daughters? 1974, Massimo Dallamano

Been in the queue for a while and pulled the trigger tonight only because of the 'horror' tag on IMDB. That tag needs to be removed. Not horror in the least, but the good thing is that this came out of nowhere and totally floored me at nearly every turn. The score, the camera work, the writing, the plot, the pacing, the reveals, the tease of sleaze, everything. Recommended if you're into Italian crime flicks of that era (with just a hint of giallo).
an example of giallo with social conscience (relative). there are several films relating to child exploitation/abuse/murder in a similar vein.