Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lloyd jones

Quote from: david lloyd jones on April 13, 2017, 10:23:33 PM
next viewing-

iron master by Umberto lenzi.possible Conan rip off (can't remember Conan film dates).
lenzi is usually better than his cannibal reputation, so hope this is enjoyable nonsense.

caltiki, the immortal monster. very, early bava film (with Ricardo Freda) issued by arrow with usual extras.

both disappointed.
caltiki, failed to rise above it's blob/quatermass roots.
iron master was ditchwater dull, despite George Eastman's over ripe acting compensating for the other guy's plank impression.
perhaps parts of the soundtrack were ok

david lloyd jones

following the 'horrors of malformed men', been watching noh/hijikata videos on U tube.
explains why the film is arty horror rather than explicitly so.
later additions to the noh cannon add to the weirdness avs they get away from the initial ascetic dance to something psychedelic, surreal and countercultural of it's times

bitewerksMTB

A few nights ago or so was, The Bell from Hell. Pretty good. Seems like there were some complaints about the dvd release. Either it's missing footage or the aspect ratio is off. It does look 'zoomed in'.

Mondo Macabro will be releasing Who Can Kill a Child? & Blood-Spattered Bride. I forgot to mention those in the previous posts about Spanish films. I'm not sure I've seen B-S B; I thought I had but when I read about it, nothing seemed familiar.

Peterson

Not very interested in new mainstream Hollywood movies anymore, with a couple exceptions...watched The Gift, directed by Joel Edgerton, starring himself and Jason Bateman the other night. Weirdo sociopath gets slow-burn revenge on corporate-world sociopath due to inability to forget past wrongs, corporate guy is revealed to be the asshole he truly is. Awful, boring, stiff actors, and not nearly as good of a performance out of Bateman as I'd expected. That's what I get for being an Arrested Development fan...

Deadpriest

Watched 'Last Resort' at the recommendation of Exoteric magazine. Liked it a lot, I really loved the abject bleakness. That article has got me into movies again, bought a bunch of Dario Argento films to go along with stuff from that article.
Watched Mum and Dad, was disappointed, was a bit disappointed by Filth too.
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

a_2_g_2

I saw "Another Day in Paradise" directed by Larry Clark, who's most famous for "Kids". Man, I've seen every other Clark film except this one (even the new ones) and I was mad when I finished it, cause it's easily my favorite and so much better than any other film he's done. Can't believe I missed out on it for for so many years.

Kim V

Watched David Mackenzies Hell or High Water last night. Pretty good photography, the actors are making up for the fact that the story holds few surprises. Can be seen as an explanation why someone like Trump was so appealing to many people in these parts of the US.
you're just a victim of yourself

Kim V

Quote from: Peterson on April 23, 2017, 07:54:03 PM
Quote from: Sigil23 on April 23, 2017, 04:01:13 PM
Watched David Mackenzies Hell or High Water last night. Pretty good photography, the actors are making up for the fact that the story holds few surprises. Can be seen as an explanation why someone like Trump was so appealing to many people in these parts of the US.

Roommate insists I watch that tonight. Thanks for the reminder, always liked Jeff Bridges.

He's monumental in that film
you're just a victim of yourself

aububs

i thought Hell or High Water was really bad and pretty boring. one of those annoying movies that really likes itself. it reminded me of Killing Them Softly which was also garbage.

i watched this which was good.

and this which was good too.

bitewerksMTB

I watched Battle Royale a few nights ago. Still holds up being a pretty mean film.

I've wanted to see Hell or High Water but haven't gotten around to it. I agree on Killing Them Softly. It sucked & it really hits you over the head with its message. Seems like one of the killings is pretty good, though.

bitewerksMTB

K.T.S. isn't a film I'd want to spend any money on to see it. If it's free, then go for it. I think I've read the book but I'm not sure.

I saw Rollerball as a kid, too. It runs on Turner Classic Movies every so often (I think?).

Oh, and I watched Demons on dvd not too long ago. Ridiculous, gory, and fun. I think I'll upgrade to Synapse's Blu-ray at some point. I don't remember much about Demons 2 other than it has scenes from the first film in it...

aububs

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on April 24, 2017, 10:55:34 PM
I agree on Killing Them Softly. It sucked & it really hits you over the head with its message.

yeah that's what hell or high water is like too.

absurdexposition

Quote from: aububs on April 24, 2017, 09:03:53 PM
i thought Hell or High Water was really bad and pretty boring. one of those annoying movies that really likes itself.

Absolutely. Couldn't get down.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

bitewerksMTB

Last night was Bob Clark's Death Dream aka Dead of Night- very cool early '70s horror spin on 'The Monkey's Paw' concerning a U.S. soldier returning home from Vietnam. Not really gory or overly violent but has a weird atmosphere to it plus deals with some relevant themes such as family grief, drug addiction, domestic violence. There's a cool soundtrack, too, by the same composer who did Clark's Black Christmas. I hope this film gets the HD treatment at some point.

david lloyd jones

just picked up cheap upgrades,
tobe hooper's lifeforce, not seen since cinema release, and hooper's death trap/eaten alive.

both arrow releases with local fopp starting promo of arrow releases for £6.
will likely seek to plug other gaps as well.