Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lloyd jones

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: david lloyd jones on March 27, 2017, 07:19:39 PM
anyone picked up the blu of multiple maniacs?

I haven't seen it but I just scanned some info about  some of the music is missing due to rights issues & is replaced by 'Link Wray-type guitar riffs'.

I don't remember M.M. but would probably buy Pink Flamingos if it's fully uncut & nothing missing.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on March 30, 2017, 01:05:54 AM
Quote from: david lloyd jones on March 27, 2017, 07:19:39 PM
anyone picked up the blu of multiple maniacs?

I haven't seen it but I just scanned some info about  some of the music is missing due to rights issues & is replaced by 'Link Wray-type guitar riffs'.

I don't remember M.M. but would probably buy Pink Flamingos if it's fully uncut & nothing missing.
thanks for info

david lloyd jones

seen the Shaw bros releases.
mighty Peking man starts as king Kong rip off, goes through various travelogue interludes in cannibal/zombie films, to end up as a Godzilla rip off.
eff you are drunk/forgiving enough, a great waste of time.
killer constable is a more trade chop sock film but, whilst the story, action act are standard, there are scenes, photography, editing that raise this above.
go Peking for trash fun, killer for more serious.

contemplating a 'skin' evening with
the reflecting skin
in my skin and
mysterious skin.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: david lloyd jones on March 27, 2017, 09:33:26 PM
the sunshine makers, 1935 cartoon not recent film.

repeated viewing reveals several layers-
innocent 30's cartoon, hippy LSD propaganda, and now, critique od the liberal west bombing others into our pov.

also just watched a cartoon cow copy goblin/human types in getting drunk and playing skittles to chaotic effect.

both cartoons by a van Buren. worth looking into deeper.

bitewerksMTB

Just finished the director's cut of Michael Mann's MANHUNTER. There are some SD scenes added that don't add much especially in the ending.

Just looked at some screen shots of the upcoming Arrow release of WOLF GUY starring Sonny Chiba. Looks wild! I'd fucking love Blu-ray releases for Karate Bearfighter, Karate Bullfighter, & The Streetfighter.

aububs

went to see this new ghost in the shell movie and walked out of the theatre after about an hour. garbage.

bitewerksMTB

Paul Naschy double-feature: Curse of the Devil & Werewolf Shadow

Can't go wrong with werewolves, sexy nude Spanish witches n' vampires, Satanic rituals, The Devil, spooky haunted house-type music, and cheap ass gore.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on April 02, 2017, 10:05:55 PM
Paul Naschy double-feature: Curse of the Devil & Werewolf Shadow

Can't go wrong with werewolves, sexy nude Spanish witches n' vampires, Satanic rituals, The Devil, spooky haunted house-type music, and cheap ass gore.

saw Dracula's great love, the vinegar syndrome release with naschy as the vampire-breaking type.
great transfer, gothic styling, the odd good cinematography all entranced
always seen Spanish fare as poor relation to itallo excesses-nudes a bit too demure, scumminess a bit too clean etch and assumed the baleful influence of Franco.
there are some interesting itallo Spanish co productions in the Giallo arena, but Spanish cinema really only got going with excess post Franco's death-in a glass cage being prime example-couldn't be made in Franco's time, elsewhere in Europe or now.

bitewerksMTB

I've always liked Spanish horror but not a huge Naschy fan. I've seen a handful of his films; Hunchback of the Morgue is my fave but haven't watched it in a long time. I think I'll dig it out tonight. It's a nice German dvd in a hardcover book. I totally forgot about Dracula's Great Love; I may pick it up when VS does their next 50% sale.

I dislike Jess Franco but love In A Glass Cage (I haven't seen any of the dir's other films)  & Satan's Blood. Jaume Balagueró has done good work, too (The Nameless & Sleep Tight). And, of course, the Blind Dead films.

Those are the Spanish films I can think of at the moment...

david lloyd jones

may be wrong but think the girl in room 2a is Iberian.
also bell of hell cronos, blue eyes of the broken doll,
possibly the corruption of chris miller...
do like Franco, with reservations.
lots of his films up to early/mid seventies are on the whole creatively good.
later films suffer from lack of cash and lack of self discipline.

absurdexposition

A Bay of Blood, Bava, 1971: Largely underwhelming and I can't decide if I love or hate the ending.
Pieces, Juan Piquer Simón, 1982: Totally great. Watched the standard Spanish-language version.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

bitewerksMTB

Hunchback of the Morgue- definitely the goriest Paul Naschy film I've seen. Very little nudity (unlike his other films) but lots of severed limbs, a disembowelment, spooky underground caves complete with Inquisition torture equipment, flaming rats, & a monster made out of snotty-like tar. Sure hope this film gets 4k High definition treatment one of these days!

Peterson

Naked (dir. Mike Leigh, 1993)
      May or may not flesh this out with an actual review later, but wanted to note that for me this is revisiting a film I first saw as a young 'un – I guess this helped draw some distinctions for me, perhaps. That might sound really extreme, but it's not intended that way; just that visceral realism is sometimes harder to digest than a splatter film with viscera all over the place. The overall atmosphere of the film and disposition of the character is not unlike certain passages/voices in late 1990s-era P.S.; fairly bogged down with paranoia and depression, not to mention intertwining such feelings with hate, but ultimately human and able to process human feeling in the full spectrum. Apologetic tone aside, I read an interview with Mr. Stab Electronics that Gaspar Noe's I Stand Alone was "power electronics in film form," or something like that. I'd say the same of Mike Leigh's Naked – rather than comparing it to any other movies, it seems to have much in common with late '80's-early '90's Whitehouse. I keep hearing the terms "black comedy" to describe both, anyway; and to be frank the character of Johnny reminds me of a certain bearded, trenchcoated fellow in early live photos. For years, I'd mistaken David Thewlis in this movie for Jared Harris in Happiness. Picture that when you watch this movie.

david lloyd jones

picked up cheap in town for later viewing,
made in Britain, Alan Clarke's film of antisocial action, played by tim Roth
also, la bete humaine by jean Renoir's proto noir where sexually charged self destruction plays out between a train driver and a femme fatale.

criterion have just issued blu ray of the initial six lone wolf and cub films, but at 50 quid in shops, will have to seek cheaper.