Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitewerksMTB

Spun is a film I'd like to see again. Seems like there were cut & uncut versions? I'm not sure which I rented & I sure as hell did not know the drummer for Bathory directed it!

cantle

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on January 08, 2017, 02:30:24 AM
Spun is a film I'd like to see again. Seems like there were cut & uncut versions? I'm not sure which I rented & I sure as hell did not know the drummer for Bathory directed it!

He's a big director now- look up all the pop videos he's directed, Lady Gaga and many others.

Fluid Fetish

Quote from: Peterson on January 07, 2017, 09:42:09 PM. Probably willed myself out of remembering it because of knowing so many goddamned annoying meth users throughout my life.

Excellent movie in all of it's trashy, tweaked out delusional glory, definitely nails in a realistic yet also interesting way what these people are like for those who have actually been around methheads or had to deal with meth junkies. Watching it for the first time was hilarious and interesting to say the least.

david lloyd jones

31-trashy fob zombie film that works like devils rejects, 1000 corpses etc as 70's pastiche

bitewerksMTB

On the night of Friday the 13th:

Friday the 13th Uncut- always been a fan but this time the film seemed to drag for me & it's not as gory as I remembered (other than the axe to the face).

Lords of Salem- this is awful. I thought the bearded actor was Rob Zombie. The worst thing ever is cultural thievery by Rob's wife with her blonde dreadlocks.

Currently watching Revenge of the Ninja on a chilly, damp Saturday afternoon

david lloyd jones

the undertaker, thanks to vinegar syndrome-sleazy and shiny.
previous DVD on Lloyd Kaufman  less so.

david lloyd jones

just got hold of philosophy of a knife-by f Russian director iskarov, based on Japanese unit 731 activities during ww2.
reviews are up there with men behind the sun.

moozz

Quote from: david lloyd jones on January 17, 2017, 07:08:42 PM
just got hold of philosophy of a knife-by f Russian director iskarov, based on Japanese unit 731 activities during ww2.

Wayyyyyy too long.  Even a 90 minute version of the movie would have been boring. I remember there was one or two good scenes but that's nowhere near enough for a 4 hour movie

david lloyd jones

Quote from: moozz on January 17, 2017, 11:33:45 PM
Quote from: david lloyd jones on January 17, 2017, 07:08:42 PM

Wayyyyyy too long.  Even a 90 minute version of the movie would have been boring. I remember there was one or two good scenes but that's nowhere near enough for a 4 hour movie
still not watched, but, yes a 4 hour film of whatever quality is far too long-see now why it a 2 disc release.

bitewerksMTB

I have the Unearthed release of Philosophy of a Knife. I watched it over two nights & thought it was okay. Not good enough to watch since that one time but I don't remember thinking any of it was boring. I think I've seen the director's other films; has he done anything since P.o.a.K.?

I watched Cronenberg's The Dead Zone the other day & just received Scream Factory's blu-ray of Rabid. Sure wish Shivers would get a nice U.S. release!

absurdexposition

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on January 20, 2017, 10:29:40 PM
Shivers

filmed primarily on Nun's Island in Montreal, 15 min drive from my place. subway scenes filmed in Toronto. parts of Scanners and others were also filmed at the Fattal lofts which are just across the tracks from my place and where I used to jam. pretty cool to see that stuff
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

david lloyd jones

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on January 20, 2017, 10:29:40 PM
I have the Unearthed release of Philosophy of a Knife. I watched it over two nights & thought it was okay. Not good enough to watch since that one time but I don't remember thinking any of it was boring. I think I've seen the director's other films; has he done anything since P.o.a.K.?

I watched Cronenberg's The Dead Zone the other day & just received Scream Factory's blu-ray of Rabid. Sure wish Shivers would get a nice U.S. release!
still not watched POAK.
both cronenberg films shivers and rabid got nice releases recently. still awaiting dead zone that hope is due this year.

david lloyd jones

fucking hell, there is nothing I want to buy at the moment.
where is the blue ray of performance with 2hours of extras, random footage of NYC in the mythical film 70's referring to all my faves pics of the era, the complete tales from Europe box set,  nil by mouth in a watchable DVD, and so much else that I as consumer need.

bitewerksMTB

Last week, I watched Dutch-French film, The Vanishing (Spoorloos) & the nihilistic Japanese Yakuza classic, Graveyard of Honor by  dir. Kinji Fukasaku.

I picked up the bd of Phantasm & have Fukasaku's The Yakuza Papers Vol. 1: Battles Without Honor or Humanity  on the way...

david lloyd jones

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on January 30, 2017, 08:56:11 PM
Last week, I watched Dutch-French film, The Vanishing (Spoorloos) & the nihilistic Japanese Yakuza classic, Graveyard of Honor by  dir. Kinji Fukasaku.

I picked up the bd of Phantasm & have Fukasaku's The Yakuza Papers Vol. 1: Battles Without Honor or Humanity  on the way...

got the entire yakuza papers in a box set.
labyrinthine and makes the godfather trilogy seem
even a TV edit to make one film is over two hours