Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordan

Wolstencroft is a bit of a twat, and not even half as intelligent as he thinks himself. My friend is in The Second Coming, so I'm going to see it when it comes out, but I probably wouldn't otherwise. Having said that, though, I found Pearls Before Swine to be so bad it was funny, though it was a while ago when I saw it, and I was extremely drunk. Wouldn't watch it again, but I definitely laughed a lot throughout.

P A N I C

THE HOLE (7/10) Typical Dante movie that has about a thousand well-known horror tropes crammed into it (hell, the plot sounds like at least a dozen other movies), but which is utterly enjoyable despite (or because?) of that. Kids find a hole in their basement which turns out to be a gateway for all their biggest fears to come barging through to haunt them. Rated PG-13 and devoid of gore and virtually so of scares, but nonetheless expertly crafted and an extremely fun ride. Also, Haley Bennett is just fucking gorgeous.

DARKNET (6/10) Canadian TV-series comprising six half-hour episodes. A website called Darknet (presented as a sort of deep webbish reality shock site) is the red thread around which various horror and mystery stories are weaved - some more loosely so than others. Style and quality vary greatly between episodes, leaving some beautiful and obsorbing and other bland and boring. Overall a very decent series though, if you're willing to sift through some mediocre junk.

THE TORTURED (5/10) The premise sounds good enough (and extremely similar to 7 Days, yes): after their son is brutally murdered, a couple takes revenge on the killer and tortures the shit out of him. Unfortunately it's quite tacky, and the gore is far too mild for a movie like this. Otherwise enjoyable until the unnecessary moralistic twist that really takes all the fun out of it and pushed it into the red numbers. Contemplating 4/10, but 5 for effort and watchability.

WAKE WOOD (4/10) Surprised that a movie starring people like Aiden Gillen and Timothy Spall could be this poor. Amazingly amateurish and derivative, frequently unintentionally funny, and generally uninteresting and ugly to look at. The story is unoriginal and predictable, and in the rare places it deviates from familiar themes and tropes it actually disappoints. Extremely ineffective scares, which is sort of an achievement in itself, and frequently uses quick cuts and zooms whenever something moderately gory happens which looks visually unappealing and is a pet peeve of mine regardless. All in all just not good.

algiz

Vermin Marvin

Eaters (2011)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1753753/
(8/10)
First zombi flick i have see from France.
mad scientists,neo-nazis and occultic wibe on story..what else needed.
looks little low-budget and some disturbing computer effects but it still far more better than some big buck movies released lately from Hollywood, or it may be the thing that make it look like it should be done on this genre..
can`t wait real zombi apocalypse.

P A N I C

DEAD SILENCE (6/10) While the premise seemed too stupid for words, this was actually better than I expected. Nice old school horror vibe with lots of comedic undertones and a nice twist to round off an otherwise fairly generic plot. Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of cardboard everything - not just the entirely one-dimensional protagonist and the 'rugged cop', sets and props too, like the spooky old theatre which seems like it's straight out of a C-grade amusement park - but in many ways it reminds me of goofy 80s/90s horror like Puppetmaster, Leprechaun, Critters, etc, which is nice - it's a nostalgia trip the first time you watch it.

DREAM HOUSE (5/10) So torn on this one; after an annoying (but, as it turns out, entirely excusable) 'perfect everything' set-up the movie manages to intrigue for the better part of an hour; then it throws in a not entirely original but neither entirely unsatisfying twist, after which it plods on much less intriguingly for another while and then just makes itself ridiculous with a stupidly cliché finding-out-who-did-it-in-a-burning-building ending that really cheapens the whole thing. A shame. Promising but disappointing.

bitewerksMTB

SCANNERS- flawed classic. Criterion's release is the way to go. Great soundtrack, I'd love to have it on vinyl; the quirky electronics & slowed down voices are great.
CURTAINS- popular slasher film, I'm not sure why. It plays like a soap opera with a few kill scenes. Not very gory but has a few moments of atmosphere.
FOUND- indie horror from 2012. not bad, has some good ideas but doesn't quite get there. Has some excellent gore & nice ending but definitely runs about 10 minutes too
long.
PROXY- this could have been a TV movie made for the Lifetime channel with a few scenes of bloody violence & some nudity.
CHILD OF GOD- it's been 10+ years since I've read the book so only had fuzzy memories of a cave, wandering around in the woods, & necrophilia. The film feels like it had potential but it drags in spots & if I had noticed that James Franco directed it, I probably would have left it on the shelf.
A SINGLE SHOT- a crime film about a down & out farmer who accidentally kills a woman along with finding a bunch of money in the woods when out poaching his dinner. This, of course, leads to a whole host of nasty consequences. It's a good film but runs a little too long. It's based on a novel by Matthew Jones that, I think, I'll look for the next time I'm a used bookstore as I like these types of stories.
DARK OF THE SUN- excellent film from the late '60s about mercenaries in Africa. It's pretty violent. Every time I have seen it, it's been on Turner Classic Movies.

algiz

bitewerksMTB

Satanic British double-feature:

THE DEVIL'S BUSINESS & TO THE DEVIL A DAUGHTER

online prowler

Good choices. Both are on my watch list.

SOUTHCLIFFE.

Bleak 4 part mini series from the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyi3yyBHNEw

bitewerksMTB

SOUTHCLIFFE looks interesting.  It looks like you can watch all 4 episodes here: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/southcliffe/on-demand/51630-004

THE DEVIL'S BUSINESS is pretty campy & TO THE DEVIL... is  one of the worst Hammer films but I've always liked it. I think I'm going to continue the Satanic theme and pull out DEVIL'S RAIN & SATAN'S BLOOD.

tiny_tove

CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0