Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

online prowler

Under The Skin.

Director: Jonathan Glazer.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoSWbyvdhHw

Sci-fi thriller. Solid craftsmanship on all fronts. Sound have a dominant role through out the film. That alone should maybe be enough for SI folks to indulge in. Highly recommended film.

Andrew McIntosh

A neighbour lent me his box-set of "Lone Wolf And Cub" films. I recall seeing one or two on the telly years ago - the attitude towards them was that they where un-intentionally humorous (they had this snide, smart-arse doing introductions for them). Bullshit. These are brilliant movies. Certainly the jets of blood might lend an unreal effect but the whole of each movie is beautifully done. The action scenes are just there to augment the plots, which are often interesting and complex without getting bogged down, and there is lots of beautiful cinematography. And, for that matter, beautiful women - absolute honeys in each movie. I've got to get a copy of this set myself. 
Shikata ga nai.

online prowler

This have potential!

THE EDITIOR

A one-time (and now one-handed) master film editor toiling in the cinematic sweatshops of 1970s Italy becomes the prime suspect in a series of brutal murders, in this loving tribute to/parody of the gory giallo thrillers of Mario Bava and Dario Argento.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgFKHzhmOK8

If you haven't seen Father's day or Manborg you've lost out.

http://www.astron-6.com/

ANDROPHILIA

TRUE DETECTIVE
don't miss it. great serial with notable acting and plot.

-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

Levas

Last few that were worth watching.. Borgman - excellent! Somehow Half of it was truly perfect and then got a little bit weaker or just didn't keep full attention, but overall watchable and awesome

Snowpiercer So you liked Brazil and 1984 and other dystopian movies, but didn't see this one yet? Then go and watch. Well, I might be a little bit too enthusiastic in here, but overall good movie. A train is constantly moving through a frozen wasteland that is Earth. And then of course those that are living poor, they want to live better, there are soldiers, dishonesty and smart leaders, wise old men etc. Good

martialgodmask

Quote from: Levas on September 02, 2014, 06:09:39 PM
Snowpiercer So you liked Brazil and 1984 and other dystopian movies, but didn't see this one yet? Then go and watch. Well, I might be a little bit too enthusiastic in here, but overall good movie. A train is constantly moving through a frozen wasteland that is Earth. And then of course those that are living poor, they want to live better, there are soldiers, dishonesty and smart leaders, wise old men etc. Good

This was more like Shitpiercer to me. The idea, I really liked. The execution however left a lot to be desired. There is quite a bit of "Wtf?" senselessness in it that initially I thought was horseshit but in retrospect I quite like, but there are too many annoyances in the overall production, I wouldn't go back for a second watch.

BlackCavendish

Jodorowsky's Dune by Frank Pavich

For those into Jodorowsky it's a must see. A 90 minutes long documentary on his lost sci-fi legendary adaptation of Herbert's Dune.
Amazing, funny, and well crafted, Jodo is still crazy as hell today and basically I can understand why noone gave him the money for this colossal (among the other things he wanted to make a 14 hours long movie...).
Nevertheless it could have been a masterpiece of weird.

TS

Got my hands on some hash the other day, and consequently ended up watching a few movies, among others:

Satyricon
(Federico Fellini 1969)

Loosely based on Satyricon (book) by Gaius Petronius Arbiter, Fellinis version presents a strange caricatured version of the citizens of the Roman Empire. They are presented as absolutely unstoppable in their hedonism and debauchery. Constantly fucking, eating untill they throw up and eating more, etc. At the same time, it seems almost everything they has been ritualized, so the entire movie is filled to the brim with chanting, music, dancing and strange behaviour in general. Except for the brilliant and quite funny ending, I didn't find Satyricon to be very interesting in terms of dialogue and plot. It is nonetheless well worth seing based on visuals and sound alone. It suffers a bit from the classic "art movie" trick of having tons of people staring at the walls/camera, but at least they are all fucking strange looking. Satyricon conveys to me a feeling of a society so engulfed in its own hedonism that it is on the brink of collapse.

Possession
(Andrzej Zulawski 1981)

Starting as a very uncomfortable break-up/downward spiral movie set in West Berlin, Possession eventually takes a very surprising turn that I won't spoil for anyone here, but I highly recommend it. I will allow myself to say that things get very very fucked up for everyone involved. Sam Neill, who seems to have a habit of showing up in movies where I don't expect him to show up, plays fucked up and crazy almost as good as Isabelle Adjane, who plays his wife. The whole movie has that uncomfortable vibe to it thats hard to put your finger on.
Kropper uten Mellomrom

online prowler

ConcreteMascara

The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears by Hélène Cattet & Bruno Forzani - directed by the same couple that did Amer a couple years back, for me, this film is superior in every way. Somewhere between art film and giallo, there's minimal narrative, a lot of highly stylized violence, Art Nouveau architecture and imagery and awesome music (mostly culled from classic Italo composers). It might be a bit too stylized or pretentious for some but I think it's sleazy and violent enough for most. I really, really liked it myself.

[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Andrew McIntosh

Victim is an interesting little horror movie, nicely twisted with an ambiguous ending. Moves a bit too slowly at times (like most horror movies - the constant padding out with sloooow movements and shots) and if I hadn't read the comments I'm not sure if I would have seen the ending coming or not but it's satisfying enough.

Satyricon is one of my all-time favourite movies, a cinematic drug.
Shikata ga nai.

GEWALTMONOPOL

Quote from: TS on October 03, 2014, 03:25:46 PM
Possession

The crazy eyes of Isabelle Adjani are the craziest thing in an already batshit movie.

Have you seen Zulawskis later film, On A Silver Planet? Totally different from Possession. It's truly epic!
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...