Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cr

The last few films I watched, which are worth mentioning:
* The Cremator (Juraj Herz)
* Tetsuo-The Iron Man (Shin'ya Tsukamoto)
* Arrebato (Ivan Zulueta)
* The Beyond (Lucio Fulci)

vomitgore

Quote from: cr on November 29, 2013, 11:09:05 PM

* The Cremator (Juraj Herz)

One of my alltime favourite films! If Kafka had ever made a film, it would have been the Cremator!

totalblack

Just watched Angst by Gerald Kargl last week, which I am sure most people here have seen. Anyhow, it's great.

HongKongGoolagong

The Canyons kept me at least entertained throughout. Bret Easton Ellis seems to see this as the start of his new job as full-time screenwriter, but it's really nothing special - flashy and trashy Hollywood silliness, like a lite version of Mulholland Drive. Reminded me also of the ridiculous Abel Ferrara film Dangerous Game. You get to see James Deen going queer and Lyndsey Lohan's tits a lot.

martialgodmask

Prisoners

I don't like Jake Gyllenhall, but this is probably the best I've seen him? Two and a half hours, slow but not heel-dragging, tense and very enjoyable. Bleak and although the end comes as no big surprise, it barely gives an inch of anything positive to clutch at for the most part. There's a bathroom torture scene which smacked of Snow Town, although more psychologically brutal than viscerally brutal. It raises the usual questions of morality and how far one would go to find/save a loved one but avoids taking a high ground. I guess it feels more poignant at the moment with the recent cases of abductions and child-interfering that have made headlines.

kettu

did a double decker last night.
the horde:recent russian movie about the last breaths of ghengis khans offrspring and a russian orthodox priest. great shit, I could see someone thinking its boring but if you like historical movies its a gooden.

the iceman: about the contract killer richard kuklinski. I read the book a few years ago and it was so good and filled with detailed descriptions of his violence that it would be hard to put all of it into a movie but it was good enough. michael shannon from the great boardwalk empire series seemed like a believable psychopath.

I have a dvd of maniac that will be watched next. never seen it before but lots of people talk highly of it.

bitewerksMTB

I watched " In the Name of the Rose" the other day. Runs a little slow in parts but has its moments. How can you not like a monk who hates laughing?

Human Larvae

Altered States

came across this movie through a youtube video of Converge's Wretched World. Can really recommend this!

Nil By Mouth

very dark and intense. Almost no dialogues, deep violence and dulled images. Very recomended also Sombre of Grandrieux.

martialgodmask

Olympus Has Fallen

Like a scene lifted straight from Call Of Duty played out over a couple of hours, just another dumb modern action flick. Not the worst film ever seen, but totally forgettable.

vorago

Poslední lup - The Last Theft (Jirí Barta, 1987)

Kin-Dza.Dza (1986), geat soviet sci-fi/comedy movie, and seems like there also remake of it (have to check it out also).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091341/?ref_=tt_trv_cnn

bitewerksMTB

I watched most of MASSACRE MAFIA STYLE the other night. Need to finish it; pretty fucking terrible but the violence is great but not so great that buying it from Grindhouse if they ever get it released would be necessary.

Also, watched JAWS a couple of days ago & X-FILES: THE MOVIE.

online prowler

Quote from: Nil By Mouth on December 21, 2013, 12:47:53 PM

very dark and intense. Almost no dialogues, deep violence and dulled images. Very recomended also Sombre of Grandrieux.

Grandrieux is a personal fav of contemporary directors. Slightly more lyrical than Noé, but far more psychological darker. Violent visual poems. Can strongly recommend this film dealing on human trafficking and prostitution. Sombre and Un lac (A lake) is worth picking up as well.

A friend reminded me to check out Black Christmas again now during the holidays. Looking forward to revisit that slaughter.

Nil By Mouth

Need to bring a copy of Un lac, still missing in my collection. Thumbs up for Black Christmas, not just a slasher but also a very morbid and sick horror movie.

bitewerksMTB

Christmas Eve:

TOAD ROAD- complete crap. nearly wore the forward button out getting through it.
ONLY GOD FORGIVES- if you liked this, you need to find your local neighborhood Muay Thai fighter to knee you in the head. terrible dialogue, silly plot,annoying prom king hipster actor, & pretty red lighting.
MANIAC-  the ankle cutting was the best scene.

Christmas Night:

BLACK CHRISTMAS
SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT- no comments are needed for either of these films.