Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P-K

The Conversation is imho pretty essential for it's sound-design....the fading in & out of sound/speech in the opening scene is amazing.

martialgodmask

The Horseman (2011)

Enjoyable enough, not the best Aussie film I've seen but strikes the right chords for bleakness, grit and violence. Akin to an Aussie Kill List perhaps, complete with over the top ending ha.

Can anyone recommend some "hyper-realism" movies please?

cr

What I watched in the last couple weeks (all great for my taste, enjoyed them a lot):
- Hole in my heart (Lukas Moodysson)
- Singapore Sling (Nikos Nikolaidis)
- Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia (Sam Peckinpah)
- Eraserhead (David Lynch)
- Midori (Shōjo Tsubaki)
- Akira (Katsuhiro Otomo)
- Perfect Blue (Satoshi Kon)

HongKongGoolagong

Quote from: cr on October 27, 2013, 07:03:10 PM
- Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia (Sam Peckinpah)

My favourite film ever and one which I must have watched over fifty times, finding more and more nuance and hidden layers. It works as a thriller but there is so much more to it: an extended metaphor for creating art (Benny/Warren Oates as Peckinpah, the gangsters as film producers, El Jefe as studio boss), a howl of existential crisis in the shocking final scenes, some religious and alchemical overtones. And so much funny and hysterical stuff where he talks to the head. Perfect acting and cinematography too. Early 1970s Hollywood was a very special time for film which can never happen again. 

martialgodmask

New series on BBC tonight, "The Escape Artist". British crime drama (thriller, perhaps) about a barrister who gets hardcore criminals off the hook. Stars David Tennant who I'm not a massive fan of (probably because I loathe Dr Who and am not a hormonal teenage girl or Richard Branson) and Tony Kebbull (Anthony from "Dead Man's Shoes" in what is naturally a very different role). Good so far, looks like it's a 3 parter so keen to see where it goes over the remaining 2 hours. Kebbull is excellent.

online prowler

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on August 15, 2013, 10:08:17 PM
http://codereddvd.bigcartel.com/product/evilspeak-brand-new-hidef-transfer-special-edition

EVILSPEAK is one of my all-time favorite horror films & Code Red has released a brand new version, fully uncut! Just ordered my copy. I have the previous dvd release too.. really hate double-dipping but could not resist this movie.

Just saw this yesterday. What great fun and ending!!! Clint Howard did a excellent job. A bit manneristic yes, but so is the whole movie w 2000s eyes. Horror comedy indeed. Enjoyed also the fact that the Major was portrayed by the main actor from the classic horror cinema DERANGED ('74 I think), and that the coach was played by the actor who was the cop in BRIDE OF RE-ANIMATOR.

Deranged: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUN0fhPuwYo
BOR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC1-CvHpY7E

Thanx for the post!

online prowler

martialgodmask

Zero Dark Thirty

Didn't have any desire to watch it, went to see the in-laws this evening and they put it on having enjoyed it a couple of nights ago. I was surprised to find it was actually quite good, watchable. Story was interesting, it felt more like a work of fiction but that's fine as I wasn't expecting it to be a documentary. "Truth" and propaganda aside, I'm pleased I've now seen it.

martialgodmask

Gravity

Actually went to the cinema for this with the wife. Wish we'd not bothered. Total shit. No plot, poor script, poor characterisation, even the much-celebrated "visual-feast" wasn't up to much. Made me appreciate Moon even more.

Nil By Mouth

I'm not so good on reviewing directly in english but I want to suggest this movie. It's a about a nun who suffer solitude. In a power-electronics way of seen we have here a lot of strong and filth elements.

SiClark

Quote from: martialgodmask on November 13, 2013, 01:11:46 AM
Gravity

Actually went to the cinema for this with the wife. Wish we'd not bothered. Total shit. No plot, poor script, poor characterisation, even the much-celebrated "visual-feast" wasn't up to much. Made me appreciate Moon even more.
I have heard this from a lot of my friends. I'm going to try and see it at the imax to see if that makes it any better but I have a feeling I will come away from it with the same feelings as yourself. Moon is superb!

ConcreteMascara

The Counselor

Despite all the negative reviews I went to see this. I actually enjoyed it a lot. It reminded me a bit of Traffic and No Country for Old Men.

I understand a lot of people bitch about how much the characters wax philosophical. I for one would rather hear dialogue that's a little too high minded than listen to the drivel present in most movies. The plot detail are also sparse, and the film leaves you to fill in the blanks, but again, I'd say this is a plus not a minus. I'd like to think Cormac McCarthy and Ridley Scott think the viewer is intelligent enough to put the pieces together without being led by the hand.

But a lot of people will probably think it's boring/pointless/confusing, but for me, I'd rather watch a flawed crime film written by Cormac McCarthy than any other Hollywood dross any day of the week.

however, Cameron Diaz is pretty hard to believe in her role
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Levas

Today was a good day. Three truly good movies while travelling.

Moon - there were so many people saying that this is wow the best scifi ever etc., that I was watching it with quite negative stance. But this is good. Without pew pew pew, lasers and explosions, a movie that left a melancholic trail inside

Ip man - Why the hell have I never heard about this movie? After watching bunches of shaw brothers movies, this is such a great movie about martial arts! Semibiographical story about wing chun master Ip man. It is very good even if you don't enjoy martial art movies that much I guess.

Dog Pound - three teenagers goes to youth correctional facility and their "adventures" in there. Great performances and overall great mood - bullying, fights, "gangs", revenge, death etc.

martialgodmask

Quote from: Levas on November 16, 2013, 09:58:11 AM
Today was a good day. Three truly good movies while travelling.

Moon - there were so many people saying that this is wow the best scifi ever etc., that I was watching it with quite negative stance. But this is good. Without pew pew pew, lasers and explosions, a movie that left a melancholic trail inside

Certainly not the best ever, but definitely a very very good/great sci-fi movie.

online prowler

Quote from: Nil By Mouth on November 15, 2013, 05:42:13 PM

I'm not so good on reviewing directly in english but I want to suggest this movie. It's a about a nun who suffer solitude. In a power-electronics way of seen we have here a lot of strong and filth elements.

Thanx for the share NBM. Looks like an interesting watch code blue.

---

New Wes Andersson short film "CASTELLO CAVALCANTI" (2013) here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_3286334279&feature=iv&src_vid=yWnKRJ4c8xY&v=b87B7zyucgI

---

A short confession:

I am a samurai movie buff. Do any of you have recommendations for films beyond Kurosawa, Kobayashi or for instance Mizoguchi?