Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

online prowler

Quote from: Levas on June 22, 2013, 03:15:00 PM
From the top of my head I'd say some of the best slashers I've seen were: Cold Prey, edge of the Axe., April Fools (first one), Anthropophagous 2000 (ignore this if you hate shitty gore effects), Friday the 13th (1,2,4 parts), black christmas, don't go in the woods, eyes of a stranger, the prowler, maniac cop, the prey, silent night, deadly night. also what were those two where the killings were done in the theater on stage and another one where the killer was dressed as uncle sam. Don't remember the titles, but they were enjoyable.

A lot of good ones Levas, thanx for the suggestions. Some of these I haven't seen. Eyes of a stranger looks like a fun flick among others. Saw The Prowler recently. Liked that one. Might have to revisit Maniac Cop as well. Another William Lustig hit when we are discussing his remake/original film Maniac. Talking about Maniac ... It got me thinking about a film yesterday I am sure a lot of you have seen as well... Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EEMVJ1yXFs from ´86 which was based on the case of Henry Lee Lucas - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_DOxy3u4CA (maybe not the best docu). 

Levas

ah, it seems William Lustig's Uncle Sam was the title I couldn't remember with serial killer in uncle sam's outfit, heh. Henry.. is a good movie.

online prowler

Quote from: Levas on June 22, 2013, 10:53:19 PM
ah, it seems William Lustig's Uncle Sam was the title I couldn't remember with serial killer in uncle sam's outfit, heh. Henry.. is a good movie.

Haven't seen that one. Throwing together Lustig, serial killers and Uncle Sam is a certain hit in my book! Thanx!!

bitewerksMTB

"Cold Prey, edge of the Axe"

Never heard of either of those. CP seems mildly familiar if it's from a handful of years ago.

Add The Burning & My Bloody Valentine to the list.They're two of my faves. Plus New York Ripper. MBV Uncut may be the goriest American slasher film ever made. I was surprised so much was cut.

I have Charlie Casanova for tonight's viewing. It's suppose to be pretty good...

Levas

I've been browsing through the Wikipedia's list of slasher movies so filling the gaps:

100 ghost street: The Return of Richard Speck - a la paranormal activity. the ghost of serial killer who was molested by his father returns and kills a group of teenagers and the film is made only from found footage. waste of time.

And while going through the list, I'd say these were good slasher movies too: Bloody Birthday, Eyes of a Stranger, of course Halloween, High Tension (!!!), Hell Night, The Mutilator, Schizoid, Trick or Treats, Unhinged, Wolf Creek.

Of course Texas Vibrator Massacre should be good, but didn't see that. Also the recent Shrooms was said to be one of the best slashers of the history etc., but I don't quite know why it should be one of the best.. It's decent.

Cold prey is quite new Norwergian slasher. A group of young people are going for skiing and one of them breaks the leg so they find shelter in some old hotel and the killing starts. edge of the axe was made for tv I think so it's quite different, but overall pretty good.

and yes, the burning and MBV are great. though I liked the original more and the remake of MBV was a little disappointing.

martialgodmask

Watched a couple of films before bed last night:

Brake (2012)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1990181/?ref_=sr_1

A CIA agent wakes up in the boot/trunk of a car inside a perspex box. His captors want to know the secret location of the president but he won't give up the information. Various stress-tests are thrown his way by the terrorists but his lips remain sealed, even placing his oath to his country over the safety of his wife. There are other government employees in other trunks being blown up in car bombs, which he finds out through combination of a CB radio (provided in the box) and a mobile phone he obtains. There is a clock he can see through the glass that counts down, resets, counts down, between events happening either to him or to the outside world that he can only hear.

It sounds a bit goofy perhaps, but actually it's not a bad watch. I've not mentioned the ending as knowing this would take the shine off watching it if anyone was going to. It actually doesn't get too far-fetched, which was good. The twist is an interesting one and I guess you can work out quite a bit of it as the film goes on. There is a lack of paranoia though which I think they could have played up a lot more.

Hard Candy (2005)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424136/?ref_=sr_1

I'm sure everyone must know this film by now? Last night was my first viewing and to be honest, I didn't think it was up to much. For starters, trying to see Patrick Wilson as a paedophile and not Nite Owl (ha) was a challenge. Secondly, I find Ellen Page to be increasingly more irritating. It felt quite over the top at times, I think most of my issues can be pinned down to the fact the girl character portrays a 14 year old bent on ridding the world of a nonce and what she does along the way. It seemed like they had to justify her character and the wise-beyond-her-years approach by making her "super smart" and "advanced for her age"... bit of a cop out for me.

Maybe my impression of 14 year old capabilities is distorted but I sure as hell don't believe any of my school peers at that age would've been capable of doing what she does with such scorn; I guess ultimately it just didn't feel very believable and subsequently didn't feel nearly as immersive and engaging as it could have been.

online prowler

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on June 23, 2013, 04:47:16 AM
"Cold Prey, edge of the Axe"

Never heard of either of those. CP seems mildly familiar if it's from a handful of years ago.

Add The Burning & My Bloody Valentine to the list.They're two of my faves. Plus New York Ripper. MBV Uncut may be the goriest American slasher film ever made. I was surprised so much was cut.

I have Charlie Casanova for tonight's viewing. It's suppose to be pretty good...

Thanx BiteWerks and Levas. Good lists. Recently saw The Burning again. Fine slasher. Recommend it. My Bloody Valentine have skipped me, or maybe I saw it years ago and have forgotten all about it. Will check it out nevertheless. Trailer showed potential. Love the gasmask attire. New York Ripper is a classic gem. Fulcio at his best. Might have to revist that one as well. Will try to get ahold of an uncut edition. High Tension (if I am thinking about the same movie, French from early 2000) is a fun rump. Other than that I can't say I remember either of the films mentioned, except for Wolf Creek which I haven't seen cause I had an idea it wasn't anything to bother with, but maybe I am wrong. Klaus Kinski in Schizoid should be good.

Here you have a few in return: The Slumber Party Massacre, Slaughter High, Happy Birthday to Me and Intruder.

bitewerksMTB

Charlie Casanova is ok. Better to not have read any of the love/hate hype about it. I wasn't in the mood for so much talk so may have liked it a little more if I hadn't been in the mood for more mayhem. I followed it up with the My Bloody Valentine. Also watched Night of the Creeps.

High Tension is a fave. Love the gore especially the decapitation with chest-of-drawers or whatever it was. The theatrical version had partially dubbed scenes mixed with Engl. subs, it was a mess! I remember seeing it in a matinee & I was the only person in the theater.

I've seen Slaughter High & Slumber Party Massacre but remember nothing about them. Happy Birthday to Me is just ok from what little I remember.

Strange Behavior is a good one. Synapse released it on dvd 4 or 5 years ago. Been thinking of digging it out for a viewing soon.

Copper on BBC America has started back. It's pretty good albeit a little too talky sometimes. The opening credits remind me of Deadwood for some reason.

online prowler

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on June 24, 2013, 01:21:30 AM
Charlie Casanova is ok. Better to not have read any of the love/hate hype about it. I wasn't in the mood for so much talk so may have liked it a little more if I hadn't been in the mood for more mayhem. I followed it up with the My Bloody Valentine. Also watched Night of the Creeps.

High Tension is a fave. Love the gore especially the decapitation with chest-of-drawers or whatever it was. The theatrical version had partially dubbed scenes mixed with Engl. subs, it was a mess! I remember seeing it in a matinee & I was the only person in the theater.

I've seen Slaughter High & Slumber Party Massacre but remember nothing about them. Happy Birthday to Me is just ok from what little I remember.

Strange Behavior is a good one. Synapse released it on dvd 4 or 5 years ago. Been thinking of digging it out for a viewing soon.

Copper on BBC America has started back. It's pretty good albeit a little too talky sometimes. The opening credits remind me of Deadwood for some reason.

NIGHT OF THE CREEPS!!! Haven't seen that in ages. Another straight to VHS rental back in the day. He!He! Can't say I remember Strange Behavior. Trailer looks interesting, will def check it out. Concept seems enticing. Alone in a theatre?! What? I never had that pleasure, though I always wanted to have a good film for myself on the big screen. Too bad the film didn't deliver.  

Pieces (1982)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A97EOtxF2gA

online prowler

online prowler

martialgodmask

Saw Blood Diamond for the first time, enjoyed it very much. Leo DiCaprio is good as selfish S.African looking after "number one"; good characters and casting, good story, could be more brutal but the agenda is presented well enough without over the top violence.

Also caught up on Black Swan.... quite liked it actually,  can see why it got high praise within the pseudo-art circles as it is almost convincing in its attempt to appear artier than it is!

Started watching The Hurt Locker. Resisted for ages, saw it was on TV so thought I'd try it. Turned it off. Just as I had expected, it was just too US-centric. No offence to US folks, but this kind of film - particularly when it has a military angle - is very rarely for me.

bitewerksMTB

I saw The Hurt Locker in the theater & it was good but found it not as interesting during more recent viewings esp on tv with edits. The movie is specifically about U.S. soldiers who defuse bombs  hence the  'U.S.-centric/military angle'...

Just watched the silly over-the-top gore film, Beyond The Limits. Last Saturday night, I finally got around to watching the Hammer film Twins of Evil which I thought I'd seen before but if I had, it was on tv with the gore and nudity cut out. On the 4th of July, I watched The 4th Floor with Juliette Lewis which is ok minus a silly detail during the climax.

martialgodmask

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on July 06, 2013, 10:08:38 PM
I saw The Hurt Locker in the theater & it was good but found it not as interesting during more recent viewings esp on tv with edits. The movie is specifically about U.S. soldiers who defuse bombs  hence the  'U.S.-centric/military angle'...

I know, I was stating the obvious somewhat wasn't I? Ha. To clarify, my "complaint" was that a couple of people had done well to convince me that it went deeper than that which I personally didn't pick up.

Levas

I watched also pretty US centric movies lately. Iron man 1-2 and Avengers.