Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martialgodmask

Watched Fish Tank last week - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1232776/; another Brit "people" film but very good, didn't know anything about it previously, not an essential watch I don't think but conversely a worthwhile one. Down to earth and real, no charicaturing which I like.

Human Larvae

continuing today's movie matinee, just saw Buffalo 66. A bit unnerving to watch now and again, given the troubled characters being portrayed, but overall a good flick with it's bleak atmosphere.

Black_Angkar

Been having a body horror fit recently. Going through Cronenberg classics (Videodrome, The Naked Lunch. Just got Existenz to re-watch for the first time since it came, can't remember if its good or a failure), the first two Tetsuo films and just yesterday Kei Fujiwaras "ORGAN". I like this one a lot. It is quite sketchy and a lot of concepts are unclear or underdeveloped, but I really can't be bothered with that when I watch some films. Unlike the Cronenberg films, here the aesthetics are the most important part and I think they are well executed. I like these kind of handmade effects with a sometimes amateurish, sometimes excellent look while I just can't stand most computer graphics.

Now has anyone got any good advice when it comes to other films in the "genre"?  Preferrably with a clever concept and/or a surrealist approach?

locustfurnace

Quote from: Black_Angkar on October 03, 2012, 06:32:28 PM
Been having a body horror fit recently...........Now has anyone got any good advice when it comes to other films in the "genre"?  Preferrably with a clever concept and/or a surrealist approach?

Try the movie Society > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098354/ > being a hell of a long time since I saw it so not so sure how it would hold up to todays standard/viewing but I remember enjoying it back in the day....

Black_Angkar

Quote from: locustfurnace on October 04, 2012, 12:37:31 AM
Quote from: Black_Angkar on October 03, 2012, 06:32:28 PM
Been having a body horror fit recently...........Now has anyone got any good advice when it comes to other films in the "genre"?  Preferrably with a clever concept and/or a surrealist approach?

Try the movie Society > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098354/ > being a hell of a long time since I saw it so not so sure how it would hold up to todays standard/viewing but I remember enjoying it back in the day....

ah yeah remember seeing the cover for this one for years, but for some reason it slipped through. One good friend recommended it highlybut I totally forgot about it. Will check it out. Thanks.

ConcreteMascara

Brother (Брат) - watched this with my gf on Friday. Legendary Russian gangster film. I guess you could consider it slow at parts, but the less action oriented parts are all about highlighting social issues in Russia at the time. Having just spent 20 days in Russia earlier this summer, part of which was in St Petersburg, it was interesting to see the city through the camera lens. It certainly looks much bleaker/dirtier than when I was there, though the movie takes place in fall/winter, not summer. The violence was realistic and matter of fact which I appreciated. Looking forward to watching the sequel soon.

eXistenZ - I'd never seen this Cronenberg film before. one of the many new laserdiscs in a huge batch I got for free. Seemed like Videodrome 2.0 to me, but inferior in every way. Jennifer Jason Leigh is hot though. But the body horror aspect was so unconvincing. I don't understand how Cronenberg's movies just looked worse and worse after the mid 90s. Like sterile in a very fake way.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Black_Angkar

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on October 08, 2012, 10:45:50 PM
eXistenZ - I'd never seen this Cronenberg film before. one of the many new laserdiscs in a huge batch I got for free. Seemed like Videodrome 2.0 to me, but inferior in every way. Jennifer Jason Leigh is hot though. But the body horror aspect was so unconvincing. I don't understand how Cronenberg's movies just looked worse and worse after the mid 90s. Like sterile in a very fake way.

yes basically an updated, "mainstreamed" version of Videodrome. Saw it last week as well. I think it was not so bad an idea to use the format of videogames, but I just can't grasp what is missing. It feels "empty" in a way. The mystery never actually becomes very mystical, the ending is unexpected in the most contrived way. Basically some interesting ideas and a few nice moments, but nothiung he hasn't done better before. Also, on the DVD I bought there was a documentary on the FX which featured snippets of the movie. Bizarrely it looked much better in the documentary - with grainy photo, dense colors not the sterile clearity of the film itself. Like two different movies.

tiny_tove

CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

ConcreteMascara

Seijun Suzuki is the shit. I think Branded To Kill is even better though. Psychedelic gangster masterpiece.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

kettu

the wild angles
vigilante
let sleeping corpses lie

all on dvd, enjoyd them all.

I did "rewatch" the avengers since I fell a asleep in the theatre.

hopefully I can loan a copy of luc bessons le dernier combat from a friend. it looked very exiting.

SiClark

Watched the original 'Get Carter' last night on LoveFilm, such a good film! Still easily stands up to modern revenge films. Superb. Still haven't watched the remake, it might be funny but I'm pretty sure it's a sack of crap.

tiny_tove

Quote from: kettu on October 10, 2012, 12:52:57 AM

biggest hollyowood disappointment for me this year.
i was so looking forward to that but it was boring and didn't leave me any memorable scene (apart from the whole scenes on the flying station)
too bad since I enjoyed the last wave of hollywood superheros (esp. batman, xmen and raimi's spiderman)
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Black_Angkar

Quote from: tiny_tove on October 10, 2012, 04:54:33 PM
Quote from: kettu on October 10, 2012, 12:52:57 AM

biggest hollyowood disappointment for me this year.
i was so looking forward to that but it was boring and didn't leave me any memorable scene (apart from the whole scenes on the flying station)
too bad since I enjoyed the last wave of hollywood superheros (esp. batman, xmen and raimi's spiderman)

I differ in opinion. I thought all the X-men movies sucked except X-men 2 (X-men 3 was one of the first films I've seen in a long time). Spider-man 2 was good (the 1st too icky) and the third had the memorable "Evil Spiderman is still just a nerd with emo look" scene. The Batman films were quite good (I have not seen the third). I can't make up my mind if the total move from Tim Burton's utter silliness is better or worse (probably better). However the Avengers movie did it for me, though I hardfly ever go to cinema theatres and regulary avoid comic films since I almost never see the point of making the transfer in the first place. I thought it was well casted, utterly shallow, and with plenty of in-continuity refrences for the nerds (such as me) to be satisfied. The appearance of cosmic villain Thanos at the last seconds was awarding for me. Still, I would hardly give this a place in anyway near my top 100, but neither would any other superhero spectacle...

ghoulson

picked up some "classics" recently on vhs... had to watch them again.

IL PROFESSORE
Epic film dealing with the camorra. Based on the book "Il Camorrista" by Giuseppe Marrazo. Based on the story of Rafaele Cabout him, but sutolo ("Il professore") and the Camorra killing spree 1982-83. It was a pleasure to watch this 3 hour film again with swedish subtitles.

AMIN
Lovely film about Idi Amin. Not as good as the documentary on him but still watchable.
For the swedes here, the infotext on the VHS: "Massmord. Masstortyr. Massvåldtäkt. Mordbrand på en hel nation. Idi Amin 1971. Detta är den sensationella filmen om vad som hände i Uganda 1971-79. Om terrorn som ledde till att 500.000 människor mördades. Terrorn som leddes av en naiv, dumdryg, fet, storhetsvansinnig best. En best som leddes till makten och välkomnades, bl a av England. En bäst som lät avfotografera sig när han åt människokött. Som utnämnde sig till världens bästa älskare och personligen torterade och mördade sina motståndare. Och som med sina engelska rådgivare instiftade en polis och tortyr som bara kan jämföras med Hitlers. Detta är filmen om Idi Amin. Och hans fall."