Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Nyodene D on May 14, 2012, 10:44:27 PM
Mikko, the 1990s Dustin Hoffman flick "Outbreak" is always a good choice. A decent documentary on Ebola is always welcome.

seen it.
Children of men I found highly annoying contemporary propaganda film.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

deakin

Any film by Aleksey Balabanov is worth checking out especially the awesome Cargo 200 set in mid 80´s russia and mainly about a disturbed police officer who
has some issues with self control. the look of this movie is quite interesting and i´m sure it´s quite the accurate description of pre glasnost russia

another fella from russia with quite the original approach to filmmaking is Yevgeny Yufit. he calls it necrorealism. his first short films remind me of guy madden a bit. Having watched the awesome Wooden Room again- i must say he just leaves you with an unnerving feeling that probably only the early Philipe Garel films come close to.

lastly again a russian director (ukrainian to be exact) by the name Artour Aristakisian who filmed homeless folks and part time actors in a movie called A Place in the World about a hippie commune where bums get free sex sorta. i guess it´s half and half. Shot in black & white pretty authentic look and dirty (literally).
Also wanna point out A turin horse by Bela Tarr, brutal to the core with the total absence of literal violence. Everyone who enjoys Nietzsche will like this.

sperm+killing

If anyone has Netflix US streaming, Markus Schleinzer's MICHAEL just went up. One of the better things I saw in a theater last year; solid Haneke-style bleakness with a surprising amount of dark humor considering the premise. Also streamed DRUM on there a few days ago. Apparently a cut version, but still a hilarious over-the-top example of MANDINGO 'sploitation. Warren Oates spouting ridiculous lines like, "You know I loves big titties!"

I think the last thing I saw in the theater was THE LAST SCREENING. The print description called it a neo-giallo or something, but I'd describe it as a near-ambient French take on the proto-slasher ala PEEPING TOM or PSYCHO. I was really into it, though most will find it redundant and boring.

Tenebracid

a great dystopian movie is russia's "Posetitel muzeya" (Visitor of a museum) from 1989. some user in mubi site described it well as "like a post-apocalyptic bruegel."

bitewerksMTB

Watched "Tyrannosaur", "Enter the Ninja", & "The Innkeepers" last night. "Tyrannosaur" being the best; I can't think of another film that gets you to hate the lead character just a few minutes after you hit 'play'. "The Innkeepers" is the director of "House of the Devil" 2nd film and it isn't much better. "Enter the Ninja" stars Franco Nero & Susan George. Made in 1981 & is bloody, stupid, & fun.

Found used dvd's of "The Redeemer: Son of Satan" & "Madi Gras Massacre", both released by Code Red.

bitewerksMTB

THE LOVED ONES- Aussie film that seems tailor made for teenage girls who do tumblr's about serial killers & horror movies.

locustfurnace

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on June 02, 2012, 10:49:21 PM
THE LOVED ONES- Aussie film that seems tailor made for teenage girls who do tumblr's about serial killers & horror movies.

Seen about half of this a few weeks back, it was on at some ungodly hour like 3 or 4am, from what I saw it seemed alright....

The last 2 movies I watched were THE RAID : REDEMPTION, really enjoyed this even with the butchered English subs :) thin on plot, high on action. Best toss off a balcony / break back scene I've seen in years. Also seen SAFE HOUSE, coming from the Bourne / new James bond style action flicks...plenty of shoot outs and fisty cuffs and plot twists a plenty...I'm probably Ryan Reynolds only adult fan haha, brilliant in this and was great in Smokin' Aces....

HongKongGoolagong

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on June 02, 2012, 10:49:21 PM

I thought that was pretty good fun, very silly of course.

A favourite short film of mine is Andrea Arnold's 'Wasp'. As well as being a very realistic view of certain parts of British culture this is also my idea of a real horror film. http://vimeo.com/27862959

bitewerksMTB

THE LOVED ONES isn't awful, just felt like a horror movie for teenagers. The end was pretty bad. I liked the guy falling out of the tree the best. The way he hit the car was halirious!

Also watched APARTMENT 143 (I think is the #)- cliched ghost movie. Has everything every movie about haunted houses (but in an apt) or possession has in it.

WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN- it takes 95 minutes to get around to finding out WHY we need to talk about Kevin who is a psychopathic teen who, despite being skinny as shit, can't find a shirt that fits properly. Want to see a movie about fucked up killer kids, check out HOME MOVIE or DEVIL TIMES FIVE.

Some of the old country songs in W.N.T.T.A.K. were the best thing about the film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZXS4tnmI_0&feature=related

GEWALTMONOPOL

Just watched French film HUMAN RESOURCES. Not as harsh as I expected and with some minor flaws but still good. The "showdown" between father and son near the end is heartbreaking.

Does anyone know where or even if I can find THE HOUSE OF ROTHSCHILD on DVD?
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

kettu

prometheus

ill use the same excuse ive used before that I see so few movies that I completelly enjoyed this. I read somewhere that this would connect blade runner with the alien saga but I didnt notice it. the end was a bit annoying set up type of thing but so what.

I also had the box set of bronx warriors and whatever else was on it but couldnt watch it hahah. I dont remember which one I tried but I just couldnt. they were on some field and everybody had on clean clothes and the acting was soooo horrid.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: kettu on June 05, 2012, 06:17:50 PM
prometheus
ill use the same excuse ive used before that I see so few movies that I completelly enjoyed this. I read somewhere that this would connect blade runner with the alien saga but I didnt notice it. the end was a bit annoying set up type of thing but so what.

It reeks like spin-off series about to start....  It's visually impressive movie, but could have been much much more so. I think many moments of monumental visions pass by too quick.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

H.H*D.H

Saw Prometheus yesterday. I had no knowledge of the movie beforehand and had no idea it was 'sort-of prequel' to Alien but this just amplified it's greatest flaw: it was way too predictable. There was no suspension because everything was laid bare for everyone to see some good tens of minutes before the 'twist' itself happened. Also, I didn't like the acting, it felt stiff and un-emotional and some glaring scientific problems affected my expirience. I know this kind of scifi isn't too hard on science but when you cut through your abmonial tissue and can walk after having it only stapled together is something I believe is impossible despite movie being scifi. When the most memorable scene in the movie is the intro then something is clearly wrong.