Special Interest
April 06, 2020, 10:39:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 184 185 186 187 188 189 [190] 191 192 193 194 195
  Print  
Author Topic: Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.  (Read 770053 times)
bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2835 on: November 04, 2019, 08:54:45 PM »

Halloween night was Fulci's City of the Living Dead- the Arrow UK release looks great despite a few outdoor scenes being heavy in grain that lasts for seconds. All the disgusting worms, blood, grue, guts, & filth look great!

I think it was the same night I watched Ti West's In a Valley of Violence which is just Ethan Hawke trying to be Clint Eastwood. Too long but okay, I guess, if there's nothing else to watch.

I wonder why there is no current Blu-ray release of House of the Devil? I remember it being decent other than how the old lady looks (should have been more creepy decrepit old instead of down syndrome-ish).

Slugs is dumb fun & the Arrow bd has been out for quite a while. I have yet to come across a low-priced copy. I do think I have the Shaun Hutson novel.

online prowler
Diehard user

« Reply #2836 on: November 04, 2019, 10:10:35 PM »

Lot's of interesting mentions here that I will make a note of. Thanks for the shares. Particular curious about the new Arrow edition of City Of The Living Dead. The noose dangling priest scene is pure gold and the film music is genious - well worth the disc purchase alone.

Haven't been tuned for feature lenght films off late. Mostly watching series here and there. Loading through It's Always Sunny In Philly again, still holds. Not all the episodes shine, but this is mostly due to one of the premisses of the series that focus on one or few sets like a rom-com - which in script terms may feel repetitive at times. However, but by the overall acting, character porgression and bizarre twists-turns I can wholeheartedly recommend it. Danny DeVito is doing one hell of a job alone. Man's born with comedic timing.

Have seen a few films last weeks that are worth a howl here, both issued by Arrow Video. First is the newly launched The Dead Center - a claustrophobic and slow creep of an end of days thriller-horror. Check the trailer online. Also plunged into the new bluray edition of The Thing. Of course no need to introduce this finest hour film by Carpenter. The newly restored picture quality was quite good, maybe a bit too polishied? Have a question mark on a few seconds in the Norwegian helicopter scene in the beginning. Looked like it was a bit too over-processed at times?

« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 10:36:02 PM by online prowler » Logged
holy ghost
Diehard user

« Reply #2837 on: November 05, 2019, 03:09:20 AM »

Watchmen (HBO): So far 10/10 and I’m loving it. Huge fan of the comic and of the film.

The Politician: it’s okay. Kids are horrible.

MIDSOMMAR: 10/10 holy fuck, I loved every second of it. Huge Wicker Man vibes but added it’s own touch. Incredible.

American Horror Story: might be the most low key awesome season yet (except for the one with Lady Gaga). Totally ridiculous.
AbstractVenom

« Reply #2838 on: November 05, 2019, 01:03:19 PM »

Watchmen (HBO): So far 10/10 and I’m loving it. Huge fan of the comic and of the film.

The Politician: it’s okay. Kids are horrible.

MIDSOMMAR: 10/10 holy fuck, I loved every second of it. Huge Wicker Man vibes but added it’s own touch. Incredible.

American Horror Story: might be the most low key awesome season yet (except for the one with Lady Gaga). Totally ridiculous.

Midsommar is an unbridled masterpiece.  Can't wait to see what Ari Aster produces next.

bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2839 on: November 05, 2019, 08:35:43 PM »

Also plunged into the new bluray edition of The Thing. Of course no need to introduce this finest hour film by Carpenter. The newly restored picture quality was quite good, maybe a bit too polishied? Have a question mark on a few seconds in the Norwegian helicopter scene in the beginning. Looked like it was a bit too over-processed at times?

I haven't watched it yet but Arrow didn't process anything from what I understand other than color grading. There were a lot of American complaints b/c Arrow's image is considerably different than what we're use to seeing. Scream Factory didn't get a hold of the orig. cam. neg. like Arrow & SF definitely processed their transfer.

I think SF did a steelbook release & licensed the Arrow transfer...

The Dead Center looks interesting. May check it out of I come across a discounted copy. I need Cruising, as well.

aububs
Heavy user

« Reply #2840 on: November 05, 2019, 09:31:46 PM »

midsommar is prob the most accurate depiction on film of dropping acid that i've seen
Gefühlloser

« Reply #2841 on: November 05, 2019, 10:20:43 PM »

Midsommar is suspect to me as something a Jewish director would create to make Scandinavian pre-Christian ideas look EVIL in a strange political climate. I haven't seen it, and I doubt people are dumb enough to link it with the reality of Scandinavian history, but I feel like watching it would be like cutting my balls off in some way.
deutscheasphalt
Heavy user

« Reply #2842 on: November 05, 2019, 10:27:53 PM »

midsommar is prob the most accurate depiction on film of dropping acid that i've seen

Watch climax

WCN
user

« Reply #2843 on: November 05, 2019, 10:38:04 PM »

Midsommar is suspect to me as something a Jewish director would create to make Scandinavian pre-Christian ideas look EVIL in a strange political climate. I haven't seen it, and I doubt people are dumb enough to link it with the reality of Scandinavian history, but I feel like watching it would be like cutting my balls off in some way.

Midsommar is terrible, but man this is about the dumbest thing I’ve read on this board.

Harsh Noise label and EU based distro of American Imports
https://whitecentipedenoise.bigcartel.com/
Harvest
Heavy user

« Reply #2844 on: November 05, 2019, 10:45:01 PM »

I haven't seen it

then maybe keep your dimwitted opinion to yourself?
DSOL
Heavy user

« Reply #2845 on: November 05, 2019, 11:33:30 PM »

since it's basically a morbid breakup story, your Alex Jones assessment is completely off base

"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"
Gefühlloser

« Reply #2846 on: November 05, 2019, 11:38:01 PM »

I haven't seen it

then maybe keep your dimwitted opinion to yourself?

Nothing dimwitted about calling out the film industry for the shit it's been doing for decades. I'm not the first one with this opinion, and I certainly won't be the last. Ari Aster is a Jewish director. Sweden is in strange political times, and there are groups of "nationalist" types rising up around the country. What does the film industry often do in these times? This exact kind of shit. If Alex Jones is all you can utilize as a reference then you aren't seeing the bigger picture.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 11:40:00 PM by Gefühlloser » Logged
Duncan
Heavy user

« Reply #2847 on: November 06, 2019, 12:17:40 AM »

Watched the new Terminator. Stupid as fuck but the new bad guy Terminator was pretty cool.
aububs
Heavy user

« Reply #2848 on: November 06, 2019, 12:31:37 AM »

the new terminator is awful but i liked it. enjoyed the t-800 getting into drapes and interior design.
aububs
Heavy user

« Reply #2849 on: November 06, 2019, 12:34:02 AM »

Watch climax

yeah that's good too but midsommar hit closer to home for me
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 186 187 188 189 [190] 191 192 193 194 195
  Print  

Jump to: