Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemwick

Quote from: moozz on May 31, 2019, 02:24:30 PM
Another great Tsukamoto movie is Haze. A short film (under one hour) about a guy who wakes up in a concrete crawlspace and has no idea what's going on. Extremely claustrophobic.
This sounds interesting.  I would like to see this.  Anyone here familiar with the short Aftermath?  Thats a really great short and I think it might still be on YouTube. It's worth a watch

NaturalOrthodoxy

Went to a preview showing of the new Peter Strickland film "In Fabric" last night.  It's super Giallo inspired, beautiful cinematography and dark humour, with an amazing soundtrack by Cavern of Anti Matter, as well as tracks by Nurse With Wound and other similar artists used throughout. There was a Q & A with Strickland afterwards who evidently did not want to be answering questions from film students wanting to show off their extensive film knowledge with oblique references but he provided some great insight regardless. Do check this film out if you like his other films like Berberian Sound Studio.

absurdexposition

Quote from: NaturalOrthodoxy on June 01, 2019, 01:09:20 PM
Do check this film out if you like his other films like Berberian Sound Studio.

Certainly was not a fan of Berberian Sound Studio, but The Duke of Burgundy was good.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Hemwick

American nightmares aka Combat Shock.  This film is bleak and unsettling. Still surprised Troma put it out since most of what they release isn't very good.
Chopping Mall.  Has some great lines that make you just wonder if anyone proof read the script. Still a fun goofy movie

EXU

F for Fake - Documentary essay (as described by Bogdanovic) from Welles, his last completed film while alive. It's a blast, I don't mind the self indulgency at all, it is intelligent and playful, packed with great ideas and greater questions. Movie nerds paradise.

La Morte ha Sorriso all'Assassino/Death Smiles at a Murderer - I can't explain why I choose to watch this movie instead of the hundreds others that are higher on my list as I can't explain the last third of this charming mess, The name evokes a giallo but it is more of a gothic psychdelic horror with a lot of eroticism. Kinski shows up just enough to be weird and have his name on the credits, the gore is of that that mid tier italian kind that is not remarkable but is more stylish than most and eveything is dreamy and weird. D'Amato was a naughty dude and a lot of that shows here (but less than in some of his most well known features). The ladies are very fine. It is a very good way to pass the time if you are on the mood for something more on the slow side of pacing.

Una Lucertola con la Pelle di Donna/Lizard in a Woman's Skin - Wonderful (not so much) giallo from Fulci. It is more of an eroctic thriller with the Fulci dreamy/nightmarish stylings on the forefront. I was really surprised by this one, even more than Don't Torture a Duckling and while it down't have the directness of his more well known movies it keeps on giving in various other fronts. The cast is great (aside from Bolkan that everybody seems to love but I feel too forced here) it's all beautifully shot with beautiful actresses, sets and wardrobe, something that only amplify the violent, scuzzy and weird parts of it even more.

ConcreteMascara

"Godzilla: King of the Monsters" - I haven't felt such unbridled joy and childhood wish fulfillment watching a movie in a long, long time. I wanted huge kaiju who look awesome, fighting to the death; it delivered in spades. And there's this whole eco-terrorism subplot thing that I love and am onboard with. Are you asked to suspend disbelief in 90% of the human related plot? yes. can I do that so that the spectacle can go on and on? absolutely yes.   I honestly doubt I'll ever have this much fun at a movie again.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

DSOL

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on June 03, 2019, 05:10:34 PM
"Godzilla: King of the Monsters" - I haven't felt such unbridled joy and childhood wish fulfillment watching a movie in a long, long time. I wanted huge kaiju who look awesome, fighting to the death; it delivered in spades. And there's this whole eco-terrorism subplot thing that I love and am onboard with. Are you asked to suspend disbelief in 90% of the human related plot? yes. can I do that so that the spectacle can go on and on? absolutely yes.   I honestly doubt I'll ever have this much fun at a movie again.

going to see this on birthday this Thursday - cant wait
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

Hemwick

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on June 03, 2019, 05:10:34 PM

Damnit now I need to see this.  Been a Godzilla fan since I was kid and had Hope'sfor the first one and its failed but now I feel like i need to see this

bitewerksMTB

Saturday night was The Children and Almost Human. The first is fun, cheap-o horror and the second aka The Executioner stars Tomas Milan all sweaty & killing everyone in sight.

holy ghost

4/5 episodes watched of Chernobyl. This series just rips so hard on all levels.

rocksoff

Sounds like Warner Bros didn't allow them to do much beyond remastering the film, as I'm pretty sure the bonus features are all carried over from the old DVD. I'm more into that Alice Sweet Alice release they announced.

NaturalOrthodoxy

Quote from: holy ghost on June 06, 2019, 04:26:25 AM

So good. once I got past everyone speaking English/in English accents I found it so immersive. everyone is expertly cast as well, the main characters being the absolute spitting images of their real life counterparts.

holy ghost

Quote from: NaturalOrthodoxy on June 06, 2019, 04:41:53 PM

So good. once I got past everyone speaking English/in English accents I found it so immersive. everyone is expertly cast as well, the main characters being the absolute spitting images of their real life counterparts.

I read this massive twitter thread about how authentic the series was in portraying the USSR in that time period - right down to the kids in school on a Saturday. I also heard a lot of chatter about how much better it was to see normal voices rather than swarthy fake Russian accents used by Western actors. It threw me initially but I think it really added to the series and my enjoyment. Hoping to finish it tonight, it was a real treat. Would love to see more HBO stuff greenlit like this about the USSR.

aububs

Quote from: holy ghost on June 06, 2019, 05:16:04 PM
Quote from: NaturalOrthodoxy on June 06, 2019, 04:41:53 PM

I read this massive twitter thread about how authentic the series was in portraying the USSR in that time period - right down to the kids in school on a Saturday. I also heard a lot of chatter about how much better it was to see normal voices rather than swarthy fake Russian accents used by Western actors. It threw me initially but I think it really added to the series and my enjoyment. Hoping to finish it tonight, it was a real treat. Would love to see more HBO stuff greenlit like this about the USSR.

they didn't get everything right, but for what it's worth i think this article is hugely unfair to the series, which was great

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/what-hbos-chernobyl-got-right-and-what-it-got-terribly-wrong