Special Interest
May 21, 2019, 10:35:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 167 168 169 170 171 172 [173] 174 175 176 177 178
  Print  
Author Topic: Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.  (Read 590838 times)
EXU
moderate user

« Reply #2580 on: April 14, 2019, 07:07:16 PM »

In my recent Carpenter binge a few months back Christine was definitely one of the highlights. It was my first time seeing it and I was pleasantly surprised. Might be his one film in touch with true emotion.

Well, there's Starman too perhaps...
Strangecross
moderate user

« Reply #2581 on: April 18, 2019, 06:11:42 PM »

Marketa Lazarova Just as masterful as Tarkovsky, Herzog, Bergman- whoever. Insight into state of mind in middle ages (with some allegory and added intelligence) is equally matched by filming locations and other production. I've never seen a period piece this impressive.
Christianity and Paganism bumping heads, both are god fearing, the difference is just ideas of justice and law and social order. 2 hours 45 min.  11/10
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 06:16:56 PM by Strangecross » Logged
bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2582 on: April 19, 2019, 06:20:19 PM »

Galaxy of Terror last night. Enjoyable, ridiculous, terrible, gory Sci-Fi from Roger Corman.

Received Incubus a few days ago released by Vinegar Syndrome. I remember it being rather sleazy horror so looking forward to it and I have Arrow's new release of Andrea Bianchi's Strip Nude for Your Killer on the way.
Strangecross
moderate user

« Reply #2583 on: April 19, 2019, 08:45:12 PM »

Incubus is really great, one VHS I will hold on to.
bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2584 on: April 20, 2019, 09:20:56 PM »

Lady Snowblood and Curve- LSB is a Japanese classic from 1973. Criterion did a great job on their transfer as it looks quite beautiful with all of the blood spurting.
Curve is an Am. horror film about a woman trapped upside down in her car and a serial killer. I missed the first few minutes so not sure how she wrecked or how she was found. The ending is quite predictable. I caught LSB on Turner Classic Movies & Curve on another movie channel.
absurdexposition
Diehard user

« Reply #2585 on: April 21, 2019, 04:36:48 PM »

Hadn't watched anything in over a month then blasted through about one a night last week.

Gattaca (Niccol, 1997)
Strange Days (Bigelow, 1995)
Conan the Barbarian (Milius, 1982)
Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013)
Brawl in Cell Block 99 (Zahler, 2017)
The Proposition (Hillcoat, 2005)
The American Friend (Wenders, 1977)
Tombstone (Cosmatos, 1993)

The Proposition was probably my favourite out of the lot.

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Primitive Isolation Tactics
bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2586 on: April 22, 2019, 12:25:44 AM »

The Standoff at Sparrow Creek is pretty decent. It has some lapses in logic & the ending can be guessed if you allow yourself to think about what you're watching. Dialogue & actor driven; a few faces are familiar esp. an older fat man I finally figured out is the character whom is given a quarter in No Country for Old Men. He's a polar opposite character in Standoff.

P2 is a silly horror film about a lonely security guard holding a woman against her will on Xmas night in the parking garage of the high rise she works in. Generally dumb with bad dialogue but one great gore scene with victim smashed to death against a concrete wall by a car.
FallOfNature
user

« Reply #2587 on: April 22, 2019, 05:28:28 AM »

Summer Of '84
Contrived and just unnecessary attempt at an 80's nostalgia trip. Don't bother.

Boar
A lot of hype over this in the Australian horror community, but another flaccid hack job by director Chris Sun. Everything this director does fucking blows goats and this was even more mundane than his previous piece of shit Charlie's Farm.
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2588 on: April 22, 2019, 05:41:01 PM »

Hadn't watched anything in over a month then blasted through about one a night last week.

Gattaca (Niccol, 1997)

Both Conan films will always remain personal favorites of mine for their sheer absurdity. But The Proposition is so good. I saw that one in theaters and have watched it many times since. I think it really holds up and marked the return of actually good Western films.

Last Thursday I watched Female Prisoner 701: Scorpion for the first time. Not quite as outrageous as I hoped but a lot of fun. Especially dug the weird surrealist touches that reminded me a lot of Seijun Suzuki's best yakuza films. Looking forward to digging into the other entries in the series.  Also started Teruo Ishii's Horrors of Malformed Men which was again less outrageous than I hoped, but fucking weird and fun. had to stop it half way through though because I got to sleepy. will probably finish it later this week. hoping to also re-watch the only Teruo Ishii film I've seen before, Screwed, which I remember as being very weird but really good.

absurdexposition
Diehard user

« Reply #2589 on: April 22, 2019, 06:17:58 PM »

Gattaca (Niccol, 1997)

Both Conan films will always remain personal favorites of mine for their sheer absurdity. But The Proposition is so good. I saw that one in theaters and have watched it many times since. I think it really holds up and marked the return of actually good Western films.

I hadn't seen Conan since I was a kid, and maybe have never seen the second one. The Barbarian is mostly enjoyable but I was teetering on the edge of boredom during some parts.

The Proposition is nuts. I'd been trying to watch it for years and finally the mood was right. So ruthless.

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Primitive Isolation Tactics
Strangecross
moderate user

« Reply #2590 on: April 22, 2019, 07:24:06 PM »

Conan the Conqueror's production is over the top, I think its better than the Barbarian. The Barbarian is best watched with commentary on, Arnold is so obsessed with the camel punching scene.
Force Neurotic
Heavy user

« Reply #2591 on: April 22, 2019, 09:50:08 PM »

All The President's Men (1976, dir. Alan Pakula)
          Somehow hadn't seen this until recently. What can you say? Essential viewing. Seems to have formed the basis for the X-Files along with Kolchak: The Night Stalker. Could probably be a pretty good sleeping pill if you're not in the right mood, though.

EXU
moderate user

« Reply #2592 on: April 23, 2019, 12:27:30 AM »

Proposition and Conan are favorites here but so is Strange Days, sometimes I think that if you watch too many "at least good" movies on a roll you may overlook some or it doesn't sink as deep as it could given some reflection time (you may also just not like it tho and this theory is bullshit).
monster ripper

« Reply #2593 on: April 23, 2019, 12:33:57 AM »

Both Conan films will always remain personal favorites of mine for their sheer absurdity

Most Absurd thing about the Conan films is Hiring Wilt Chamberlain to protect a girls virginity.
tiny_tove
Overkill user

ELETTRONICA RADICALE EDIZIONI

« Reply #2594 on: April 23, 2019, 12:56:08 AM »

Dr. Caligari (1989)
a nice overstylized piece of mindfuckery more or less on par with the usual suspects from the weird film department
not exactly a masterpiece and at times comes off as trying too hard, but some sequences are pretty ace

Check Night Dreams and Cafe Flesh by the same people under different names (Rinse Dream and FX Pope)

Pages: 1 ... 167 168 169 170 171 172 [173] 174 175 176 177 178
  Print  

Jump to: