Special Interest
December 11, 2018, 11:35:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 139 140 141 142 143 144 [145] 146 147 148 149 150 151 ... 163
  Print  
Author Topic: Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.  (Read 525702 times)
david lloyd jones
Diehard user

« Reply #2160 on: April 07, 2018, 10:46:31 PM »

Shin godzilla was less than expected.
A godzilla film lacking godzilla and a sort of authorities procedural
aububs
user

« Reply #2161 on: April 07, 2018, 11:21:09 PM »

yeah 75% of shin godzilla is taken up with bureaucratic office politics and has no godzilla

honestly i loved it

it's a feature length live action "angel attacks" episode of evangelion, basically
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2162 on: April 07, 2018, 11:32:23 PM »

it's a feature length live action "angel attacks" episode of evangelion, basically

Agreed!

Weird that it comes up i was just about to post about Shin Godzilla. Watched it foe the first time on Thursday. Amazingly AmazonPrime only had the US dub which i realized after I ordered. Aside from the shitty dubbing it was pretty great. I kinda liked the shitiness of the CGI and godzillas cold, fishlike eyes. And also the Japanese nationalism themes. Theyre still so butthurt about those atomic bombs...

aububs
user

« Reply #2163 on: April 08, 2018, 05:01:48 PM »

the creepy crawling pre-evolved weird bug godzilla really freaked me out
Euro Trash Bazooka
user

« Reply #2164 on: April 08, 2018, 11:46:08 PM »

I LOVED "Shin Godzilla" (watched it in the plane on my way to Tokyo just as it came out.) I really like the fact we're following politicians in the film, and I feel like the tension kept increasing and never stopped. It's a really cool take on the Godzilla genre.

Also, when Godzilla' spine starts glowing and he emits rays, my child self couldn't help shaking in awe.

DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/
bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2165 on: April 16, 2018, 12:19:01 AM »

I think Audition was mentioned recently? I read that Shout! no longer has the U.S. rights so, most likely, Arrow will release their UK edition over here and they may actually be doing a brand new transfer, which, would be awesome.

Yesterday, I watched Night of the Strangler which has no strangler but has a cool sniper-killer along with a lot of harsh racist dialogue ("You let a degenerate nigger inside your body?!?"). I caught it on Turner Classic Movies & Vinegar Syndrome released it on dvd last year.

Also, Eden Lake, a violent British film about young hoodlums tormenting a nice couple in the woods. The E.T.-style bmx chases are a bit lame but the ending is pretty fucking grim.
online prowler
Diehard user

« Reply #2166 on: April 16, 2018, 10:37:21 PM »

New remaster of Audition is welcome. It deserves a new treatment. Night of the Strangler is new to me. Thanks for the heads up. Wasn't aware of the film. Found an upload on youtube which was okay, or at least watchable if one is familiar w vhs quality, bootleg sense. Looking forward to rewatch the recent bluray remaster of ICHI THE KILLER via Well Go USA and spagetti gunslinging A FISTFUL OF $. And yea, the trailer for B-horror The Endless looks like it have potential. Worth to check out.
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2167 on: April 17, 2018, 03:59:21 PM »

^ Night of the Strangler sounds good to me, will have to check that one out.

Most recently been enjoying some Clint Eastwood. Started with Magnum Force at the recommendation of Mr. Striations. It was honestly way better than I expected it to be. Lots of point-blank gun violence, young aryan cops in leather on motorcycles, a funky score, insane and pointless detours. Not really a complaint to be had for my taste. An enjoyable experience the whole time. A little nervous about dipping into the other sequels but  I've heard The Dead Pool is truly terrible, a good/bad type of movie so it should still be fun.

Last night I showed Unforgiven to my friend who had never seen it. That movie holds up no matter how many times I watch it. It's really a slow burner but once you get to the last 30 minutes or so the pay-off is big.

I'm hoping to see A Quiet Place soon. It looks like the kind of movie I would've loved as a kid and I think Emily Blunt is hot in a less obvious kind of way so hopefully it doesnt suck.

bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2168 on: April 18, 2018, 08:01:34 PM »

The Dead Pool has some sleazy moments & Dirty Harry is a must-see, if you haven't already.

I'm readying a horror novel by Tim Lebbon called "The Silence" that is pretty much the same plot as A Quiet Place. Seems they took the idea from the author, possibly.

I received The Offence blu-ray & will probably check it out tonight.
Force Neurotic
Heavy user

« Reply #2169 on: April 18, 2018, 09:16:34 PM »

The Dead Pool has some sleazy moments

That's the one out of the series that I always fall asleep while trying to watch...maybe another attempt tonight, haha. Gotta love Scorpio, though.

bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2170 on: April 18, 2018, 11:10:44 PM »

I'm wrong. I was thinking of Sudden Impact which has some sleazy moments in New Orleans.

The Dead Pool isn't that great. There's also another film with Sondra Locke murdering rapists but I can't remember the title for it nor whether it's worth a damn.
Force Neurotic
Heavy user

« Reply #2171 on: April 19, 2018, 02:56:02 AM »

Check out Tightrope for more Clint Eastwood sleaze, might even be set in New Orleans if I'm not mistaken.

ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2172 on: April 19, 2018, 03:56:42 AM »

I've watched the original Dirty Harry many times but was always luke-warm about the idea of checking out the sequels. But at this point I'll have to watch em all for posterity.

bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2173 on: April 19, 2018, 06:23:04 PM »

Check out Tightrope for more Clint Eastwood sleaze, might even be set in New Orleans if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, it's TIGHTROPE! I looked it up then promptly fucked it all up.

The Offence is recommended. It has a stark, heavy theme with a great performance by Sean Connery. I'm surprised I had never heard of it before or that Sotos never referenced it. There's some nice droning in the soundtrack along with musique concrete sounds in the opening scenes. Definitely worth checking it, just don't expect a lot of
'action'. It's a very dialogue-driven film but there are some pretty intense images in the second half of the film.
kettu
Heavy user

« Reply #2174 on: April 19, 2018, 08:40:04 PM »

nightvisions festival started again.

HOLIDAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UmEWPAt5xk

support! and two thumbs in the throat for this flick. it felt like exploitation with a message for todays girls.

Pages: 1 ... 139 140 141 142 143 144 [145] 146 147 148 149 150 151 ... 163
  Print  

Jump to: