Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

.:Will:.

Quote from: THE RITA HN on October 20, 2017, 09:23:03 AM
Holocaust parte seconda: i ricordi, i deliri, la vendetta (1980)
Incredible, powerful opening 'music'.  Like watching an early European PE project come vividly to life on the Eurotrash screen.

I would love to see this. Anyone know anywhere to download or purchase?
Thanks!

holy ghost

Quote from: Petrificado on October 14, 2017, 12:38:50 PM
Two episodes into the new Netflix show you Mindhunter. Enjoying it so far. David Fincher and serial killers obviously brings high hopes, if this reaches anywhere near the level of Zodiac I'll be impressed.

I'm three episodes in and LOVING it. Pacing is great, acting is top notch and the whole aesthetic is great without being over the top cheesy 70s. I'm super busy this week and pretty pissed I can't fucking binge watch this by Wednesday.

online prowler

Quote from: holy ghost on October 24, 2017, 05:19:08 AM
Quote from: Petrificado on October 14, 2017, 12:38:50 PM
Two episodes into the new Netflix show you Mindhunter. Enjoying it so far. David Fincher and serial killers obviously brings high hopes, if this reaches anywhere near the level of Zodiac I'll be impressed.

I'm three episodes in and LOVING it. Pacing is great, acting is top notch and the whole aesthetic is great without being over the top cheesy 70s. I'm super busy this week and pretty pissed I can't fucking binge watch this by Wednesday.

David Fincher have one of the better production teams in USA commercial film. The lighting is especially great I think in the series. Highly recommended watch. Caught the UK thriller THE GHOUL some time ago. Exec produced by Ben Wheatley. Check trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKmhU8c6hc0 Great flick.

aububs

i think the lead actor in mindhunter is awful. and his girlfriend is awful too.

the guy who played ed kemper nailed it tho.

been watching The Deuce and i think it's great. definitely the best out of these two shows set in the 70s.

THE RITA HN

QuoteI would love to see this. Anyone know anywhere to download or purchase?
Thanks!

I saw a version an old friend has, but definitely had to get my own hard copy.
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B01MZ98NNX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Again, the opening credits audio alone is mandatory listening.

.:Will:.

Quote from: THE RITA HN on October 24, 2017, 09:33:30 PM
QuoteI would love to see this. Anyone know anywhere to download or purchase?
Thanks!

I saw a version an old friend has, but definitely had to get my own hard copy.
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B01MZ98NNX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Again, the opening credits audio alone is mandatory listening.

Thanks!

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: aububs on October 24, 2017, 09:26:47 PM
i think the lead actor in mindhunter is awful. and his girlfriend is awful too.

the guy who played ed kemper nailed it tho.

I thought the main actor was alright. His girlfriend isn't bad at acting, her character just fucking sucks.

but to add to the chorus, Mindhunter is pretty damn enjoyable. watched the whole thing in 3 nights with my girlfriend.

surprised no one has mentioned it but Bladerunner 2049!!! I've seen it 4 times in the theater, which is a rare thing for me, especially considering its almost three hour run time. while it's not a perfect film I enjoyed the shit out of it. definitely the type of movie that benefits from deafening theater speakers and a huge ass screen. the violence is brutal, the tone is bleak as fuck, the score matches that, and all of the ladies are hot. and Harrison Ford doesn't shit the bed either.

re-watched Videodrome last weekend which had me immediately reaching for Grunt's Terror & Degeneration CD afterwards.

last night I tried to watch the Full Moon Entertainment movie Lurking Fear on laserdisc but two sad discoveries fucked it up. first, the disc which was mint had some kind of manufacturing error destroying the back side, and then on top of it, my 20+ year old LD player crapped out. wound up paying to watch Lurking Fear on Amazon. a 90's b-movie (at best) with an '80s feel. incomprehensible and silly, but fairly violent. i liked the ghouls, and with a slightly bigger budget I think it could of been way may enjoyable. still, my friends and I enjoyed doing a riff tracks on top of it immensely.

and Buio Omega / Beyond the Darkness last week. didn't live up to the hype for me, but I was also so dead tired when I watched it it wasn't a fair impression.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

absurdexposition

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on October 25, 2017, 08:20:54 PM
Bladerunner 2049

Highly enjoyable. Makes adequate use of its runtime. I wish I had went to see it in imax, didn't even think about it until after.

Videodrome

Total love for Cronenberg. And Debbie Harry...

and Buio Omega / Beyond the Darkness last week. didn't live up to the hype for me

Same.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

david lloyd jones

getting the arrow upgrade of blood feast was not so much for a high def of this but getting the extra of scum of the earth an early hgl 'roughie' that i hope will be worth the entry. the various interviews are less of a draw.

hope pigs by mark lawrence is fine.

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: Strömkarlen on October 23, 2017, 02:11:57 PM

I would go for Who can kill a child? instead. Loved it when I saw it at midnight screening years ago. HUGE screen and an audience that cheered kids getting gun down. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIBd-DmzUp8

Who Can Kill a Child? is a fave of mine. Mondo Macabro has it for release early next year. I sold my dvd already in anticipation for the new Blu-ray. I sure would love to see it in a theater!

I just ordered the Arrow UK release of John Carpenter's The Thing. Screenshots from their 4k scan of the original negative look pretty awesome & much more natural in color than Scream Factory's release. I don't really need another copy but I couldn't help myself.

Currently watching the Dark Shadows movies on TCM. House of Dark Shadows has some cool moments & sound effects. Earlier, it was Village and Children of the Damned. CotD has a great scene with tone generator & organ noise. VotD must have been disturbing for movie goers in 1960. I can't think of many films from that era that ended with blowing up a house of children...

absurdexposition

Cut-Throats Nine (Joaquin Romero Marchent, 1972)

I think what makes this film is how it almost falls apart every step of the way. Plus it's pretty brutal with great gore.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

david lloyd jones

Quote from: david lloyd jones on October 28, 2017, 12:11:38 AM
getting the arrow upgrade of blood feast was not so much for a high def of this but getting the extra of scum of the earth an early hgl 'roughie' that i hope will be worth the entry. the various interviews are less of a draw.

hope pigs by mark lawrence is fine.

not watched pigs, but re-blood feast.
couldn't remember if seen before, or just seen trailers and 'quotes'.
'blood reast' has not travelled well, despite being the first splatter/slasher type film.
thevextra 'scum of the earth' was the better, more enjoyable waste of time, and technically, not nuch worse than early john waters films.

impulse manslaughter

Saw Good Time last weekend and liked it a lot. Crime movie with unexpected plot twist, some great camera work, crazy characters and a 80's style soundtrack by Oneohtrix Point Never..

aububs

looking forward to that Good Time movie

i was at a movie horrorthon last weekend and i saw

Eaten Alive (had never seen it. a lot better than i expected)
78/52 (documentary about the shower scene in Psycho...it was fine)
Tag (new sion sono movie. nuts)
Our Evil (liked this brazillian horror a lot)
Game of Death (kind of sucked)
Victor Crowley (crap. i hate the Hatchet franchise)
Event Horizon (i liked this movie a lot. it's not...very good? but i like it)
Better Watch Out (xmas horror not too bad)
68 Kill (enjoyed this despite my better judgement)

david lloyd jones

just starting the 'new battles without honour...' box set.
a mere three films this time.
the first, 'new battles...' could fit in anywhere in the originals.
the others, yet to see, are more stand alone stories, seemingly.
usual great arrow packaging and quality.