Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anomalie

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on August 16, 2017, 11:13:42 PM
watched The Witch from 2015 a few days ago. I had heard good things when it came out and on this board, but I was positively surprised how much I liked it. really fucking great vibes and imagery and I could give a shit about if the story was literal or metaphorical. a baby dies in the first 10 minutes, i think it's a fucking winner. and the part with the crow and the titties... A+

Still need to watch The Witch.

Just watched The Maze Runner to shut my mind up. It worked.
The Maze Runner must be one of those movie series that came up with the success of The Hunger Games series.
It's Hollywood - but not as bad as the general stuff.

anomalie

Tried to continue with Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials.
Seems to be a lot worse than part one - couldn't finish it now.

david lloyd jones

yesterday, was the nominal date of the texas chain saw massacre.
annual visit to this film was something that still showed images that i had forgotten or never realised.
still a favourite film.

aububs

anomalie

Quote from: aububs on August 20, 2017, 10:54:40 AM
i love those maze runner movies. both of them.

Finished the second part - did not enjoy it as much as the first one.

Peterson

Cracker - The Complete Collection (Granada Television)

Well, by now most folks seem to know Con-Dom's "Moor Rapist" lyrics come from a monologue from the second or third series in this police procedural set in Manchester. After repeated recommendations, finally watched a good chunk - probably one of the best cop shows aside from the first 5 seasons of the original Law & Order. Robbie Coltrane and Geraldine Somerville are especially good. Forensic psychiatrist staving off the shakes with day-drinking and smoking three packs a day. Gritty yet sentimental, good writing and great acting.

cantle

Quote from: Peterson on August 25, 2017, 05:19:53 AM
Cracker - The Complete Collection (Granada Television)

Well, by now most folks seem to know Con-Dom's "Moor Rapist" lyrics come from a monologue from the second or third series in this police procedural set in Manchester. After repeated recommendations, finally watched a good chunk - probably one of the best cop shows aside from the first 5 seasons of the original Law & Order. Robbie Coltrane and Geraldine Somerville are especially good. Forensic psychiatrist staving off the shakes with day-drinking and smoking three packs a day. Gritty yet sentimental, good writing and great acting.

Not watched it in years- since it was on tv originally. Surprised it still holds up.

david lloyd jones

'elephant' by alan clarke. a tv play 'about' the 'troubles' in northern ireland, it is a speechless, forty odd minutes of sectarian killing.
not the media event bombings but the drab tit for tat murders, becoming so banal that you look at the paunches, bad hair, awful clothes of killers and killed
the banality of evil powerful because of the everyday nature, part of the background, walking to work killings
no sides, no context, no explanation, almost contextless apart from the intro text explaining the title.
the made for tv look and not digitally remastered presentation (it was an extra on an old copy of 'the firm' adding to the atmosphere.

martialgodmask

Saw Dunkirk mid-week, thought it was brilliant in vritually every aspect. I rarely venture to the cinema but for this it was fully worthwhile.

And then the opposite for balance..... watched Aliens: Covenant last night and I hope Ridley Scott never makes another film again.

david lloyd jones

'a brutal game' by jean-claude brisseau.
from 1983 and whilst not as 'unflinching and viscious' as the cover says, it is intense enough to hold up today.
a father who turns out to be a serial killer tries to tame his feral daughter, who is paralysed below the waist.
her journey to propriety is mirrored by his towards beastiality.
no real blood, usual french attitude to young girl nudity, it's all in the dynamics, that are at times slow for today, but a good film topick up cheap.

aububs

i saw a double bill 15 years ago of alan clarke's Elephant and gus van sant's Elephant. good double bill.

inculcated

Thief (1981)
Don't know if many have seen this film about expert safe-cracking and its inherent danger.Features thermal-lances, some great action and music by kraut rockers Tangerine dream.Slick.

bitewerksMTB

Thief is great. Definitely a classic from the early '80s.

Yesterday was Dark of the Sun (1968) & Paul Naschy's Inquisition; DotS is a violent adventure film that involves mercenaries in the Congo & a bunch of diamonds. Pretty violent for the time period (sort of tame now). Turner Classic Movies runs it a couple times a year so it's well worth catching if you dig films like Sorceror, Emperor of the North, or Kelly's Heroes.

P.N.'s film goes well with Mark of the Devil but it's not as graphic plus The Devils but it's not as good. There's some nice Satanic imagery, some torture, nudity, The Devil, rituals, etc. Released by Mondo Macabro in the U.S. on Blu-ray.  M.M. has another Naschy film in the pipeline & Scream Factory has Vol. 2 box set coming soon including The Hunchback of the Morgue, which, is my favorite. Now, if a label would release Howl of the Devil!

Since Tobe Hooper dropped dead, I've got Salem's Lot playing on this rainy Sunday afternoon...

online prowler

Quote from: david lloyd jones on August 26, 2017, 02:05:34 PM
'elephant' by alan clarke. a tv play 'about' the 'troubles' in northern ireland, it is a speechless, forty odd minutes of sectarian killing.
not the media event bombings but the drab tit for tat murders, becoming so banal that you look at the paunches, bad hair, awful clothes of killers and killed
the banality of evil powerful because of the everyday nature, part of the background, walking to work killings
no sides, no context, no explanation, almost contextless apart from the intro text explaining the title.
the made for tv look and not digitally remastered presentation (it was an extra on an old copy of 'the firm' adding to the atmosphere.

one take camera work is flawless and exceptionally beautiful at times.

Dunkirk on my list as well. Hear Hear on Thief!