Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AXNAAR

Quote from: david lloyd jones on July 30, 2017, 06:25:51 PM
this morning i watched 'human lanterns'  a shaw bros kung fu  delight that builds to crescendoes of noise, action and wierd.
never remember actors or directors when watch these tings but was entertaining fun.

Need to check out more 80's Shaw Brothers since watching The Boxer's Omen a few years back. Heard 'Seeding of a Ghost' is the one to see!

bitewerksMTB

The Boxer's Omen is nuts but too long. Seeding of a Ghost is pretty cool. Seems like it changes course a little towards the end but it's pretty gory n' wild. I have the U.S. dvd but haven't watched it in a long time.

This weekend was Apocalypse Now & the Hearts of Darkness documentary 2-disc set. RECOMMENDED!

david lloyd jones

Quote from: AXNAAR on July 31, 2017, 07:16:45 PM
Quote from: david lloyd jones on July 30, 2017, 06:25:51 PM
this morning i watched 'human lanterns'  a shaw bros kung fu  delight that builds to crescendoes of noise, action and wierd.
never remember actors or directors when watch these tings but was entertaining fun.

Need to check out more 80's Shaw Brothers since watching The Boxer's Omen a few years back. Heard 'Seeding of a Ghost' is the one to see!

seeding of a ghost is the only one yet to get from the 88 films stable of shaw bros dvd/blu releases in uk.
all enjoyable. next out is 'oily maniac'

aububs

along with seeding of a ghost, Hex and Black Magic are two other nutsoid shaw brothers horror deals. both worth watching.

i fuckin love boxer's omen. it's about a guy getting revenge for his brothers death and he gets his revenge halfway thru the movie and the last half is just crazy shit happening.

aububs

oily maniac is kind of boring but it's worth watching cos it's oily maniac.

AXNAAR

Quote from: Peterson on August 01, 2017, 02:12:07 AM
Quote from: david lloyd jones on July 29, 2017, 05:50:16 PM
'night of the juggler' 1980

Found this one by accident looking for something else at the library. Not in hand yet, but on my hold list. Considering your description, sounds damn good.

Anyway, I'm just adding to the chorus here, but the new season of Twin Peaks has been worth keeping up with. It's almost exactly how I expected, I guess, and I like seeing a nearly-retarded version of Cooper mumbling "damn good pie," echolalia, etc. Michael Cera's Brando impersonation is spasmic laughter-inducing. Some of the theories people out there in internet-land come up with regarding this show are fucking outlandish, but then again, it's a David Lynch creation, what can I expect? Also, Naomi Watts. Enough said.

The Mrs has been watching the new Twin Peaks in private in headphones and keeps saying it's great - I'm dubious after season 2, I just hope Lynch handles all episodes. Naomi Watts is in this one? Nice!

Been keeping up with S07 of GOT - so far great!

AXNAAR

Quote from: KMusselman on August 01, 2017, 05:38:34 AM
speaking of Naomi Watts, hope you are watching Gypsy on Netflix!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y67_16zSMwk

I will after that trailer!

aububs

Quote from: AXNAAR on August 01, 2017, 02:43:46 AM

Found this one by accident looking for something else at the library. Not in hand yet, but on my hold list. Considering your description, sounds damn good.

Anyway, I'm just adding to the chorus here, but the new season of Twin Peaks has been worth keeping up with. It's almost exactly how I expected, I guess, and I like seeing a nearly-retarded version of Cooper mumbling "damn good pie," echolalia, etc. Michael Cera's Brando impersonation is spasmic laughter-inducing. Some of the theories people out there in internet-land come up with regarding this show are fucking outlandish, but then again, it's a David Lynch creation, what can I expect? Also, Naomi Watts. Enough said.

The Mrs has been watching the new Twin Peaks in private in headphones and keeps saying it's great - I'm dubious after season 2, I just hope Lynch handles all episodes. Naomi Watts is in this one? Nice!

the new twin peaks murders the first two seasons. it's amazing.

absurdexposition

Quote from: aububs on August 01, 2017, 07:52:06 PM
Quote from: AXNAAR on August 01, 2017, 02:43:46 AM

the new twin peaks murders the first two seasons. it's amazing.

The new season is great and it certainly slaughters the second season, but the first season still has that strange air of magic about it that really makes it something of its own.

The glacial pace of this season is unreal. This week's episode was particularly brutal. I love it.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Peterson

I might be in the minority everywhere on this subject, but I like all three Twin Peaks seasons equally for different reasons. Season 2 lays it on pretty thick with the soap opera elements but I find that kind of crap really funny.

Anyway, watched Giuseppe Tornatore's "La Sconosciuta" ("The Unknown") yesterday while doing some grueling cut n' paste for my recent stuff. I wanted to review it here, but I think anything detailed I'd say in praise of it would give too much away. It's not amazing, and kind of obvious at times, but I really liked it and recommend it to basically any casual Dario Argento, Alfred Hitchcock, or David Lynch fan. It's basically in many ways a "typical" Italian thriller with a heady psychological twist to the action-and-flashbacks formula. Gist of the plot is a woman attempting to start a new life while putting to rest the dangers of her old, dangerous one, and dealing with some intense traumatic memories. She dealt with some bad shit, but she's far from a saint herself. At times the soundtrack was really irritating, but the film has a quick, forward-momentum pace with great cinematography and acting, not to mention nice flashes of violence, nudity, and really questionable psychology of several characters. Definitely worth at least one viewing.

inculcated

The Boys from Brazil. (1978)
Dr Josef Mengele attempts to recreate the conditions necessary for a new Reich.A materialist account.Big name actors.

david lloyd jones

tonight i am going to watch 'the stone killer' featuring chas bronson and directed by michael winner.
this tag team turned in death wish a year or so later, so hope this is as rough.

david lloyd jones

hardly ever see blockbuster films as released.
trip to cinema with father an unusual experience-saw latest planet or the apes film.
dunno, but there seemed several references to apocalypse now in this film-seen so many films, ghosts of other films a 'hazard'
film appeared in total a better than average blockbuster type film-my dad payed, don't think i would though.

bitewerksMTB

Violent Italiano double-feature: Cry of a Prostitute and Beyond the Darkness; both are highly recommended for fans of slaughtered pig rape, belt beatings, mafia crime, Henry Silva, necrophilia, Goblins, finger-nail ripping, taxidermy, eyeball violence, & acid baths.

Also, American Werewolf in London and Innocent Blood- AW is a classic, of sorts. Good for its time & got the lead actor fired by Dr. Pepper. IB is also directed by John Landis & it sucks but Don Rickles as a vampire is pretty cool. Other than that, there's no reason to sit through it and even then, it isn't worth it.

Narc- finally get it see this again. I don't think it received a dvd release? If it did, I missed it. I saw it in the theater & liked it. Ray Liotta delivers his lines with pin-point accuracy. Basically, this is a decent early 2000s drug-crime flick. Caught it on an HD movie channel so, I guess, there will be a Blu-ray at some point? Not sure it'd be worth owning unless you can get it really cheap.

Oh, and Evil Dead in its proper OAR. Not much to say on this. "Join us."

.:Will:.

Having trouble finding Cry Of A Prostitute. Found a torrent but it's barely working...
Any clues on where to download?