Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitewerksMTB

Yeah, I Drink Your Blood still holds up & is much better than I remembered. I still need to watch one of the versions on the Grindhouse blu. I can't remember which one I watched the first time around or what the differences are.

Sweet Sugar bd (Vinegar Syndrome)- the trailer makes this film look violent & mean-spirited but it's a bit too light-hearted with bad attempts at humor but it does have some good nudity, a black man burned alive, some violent gun-play (bodies shot up graphically), some mild whipping & what would a W.I.P. film be without a little rape? In one scene, you see the results running out of the cute actress' cut-off jean shorts but despite that, if I had seen this film previously, there would have been no need to own it.

Straw Dogs bd (Criterion Collection)- if you're a fan of S.D. or you want to see it for the first time, Criterion's new release is the way to go. It looks great! Highly recommended. Nothing more needs to be said.

Just received the Italian film, Madhouse, from Arrow. Looks interesting. Scanning through it, I'm pretty sure I've never seen it before.

online prowler

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on July 14, 2017, 12:02:52 AM
Straw Dogs bd (Criterion Collection)- if you're a fan of S.D. or you want to see it for the first time, Criterion's new release is the way to go. It looks great! Highly recommended. Nothing more needs to be said.

Ace film. 50% off on Criterion titles now via Barnes & Noble.

Caught Personal Shopper the other day. Can recommend that.

inculcated

Fruits of Passion -Shuji Terayama(dir)
Set in a Chinese Brothel involving use of some interesting props, not too much else of interest just lots of arty affected shots.

bitewerksMTB

At Close Range & River's Edge- both '80s, both star Crispin Glover. Both have lost their appeal after so many years but are still reasonably entertaining. Glover is pretty over the top in both films (gender confused in A.C.R. & a valley girl metalhead in R.E.) and I can't think of another film that shows the pubic hair of a corpse more than R.E.

Double Exposure (Vinegar Syndrome)- '80s psychological thriller with slasher elements involving a photographer has nightmares involving murder. Is he killer or isn't he? It's pretty easy to figure it out (& kinda wild). There's some good nudity & a great murder involving a rattlesnake along with the best line in the entire film: "I'm not putting my head in a fucking trash bag!" While it doesn't have much in common with Don't Answer the Phone!, they would make a good double-feature due to both main characters being photographers. The soundtrack during the murder scenes includes some rather industrial-type sounds that are pretty good.

Re-Animator & Don't Torture a Duckling will be coming from Arrow next month! Can't wait to see a naked, high definition Barbara Bouchet!

david lloyd jones

bitewerksMTB

Watched In A Glass Cage last night which had me wondering what the auditions for the boys were like & what the parents were told about the script.

bitewerksMTB

Animal-horror  last night & today: Fulci's The Black Cat, Wolfen, & Madhouse (sort of).

absurdexposition

Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Andrew McIntosh

Shikata ga nai.

bitewerksMTB

Session 9 & Psycho yesterday. I bet there's a think-piece somewhere that says everyone involved with Hitchcock's classic is transphobic.

Received Buio Omega (Beyond the Darkness) & Cry of a Prostitute bd's today. Also, ordered 3-disc of Apocalypse Now last night after watching a docu. about The Doors first LP. The 3-disc includes theatrical, Redux, & Hearts of Darkness. Not bad for less than $12 with shipping. A.N. should look great on Blu & I haven't seen the docu. in a very long time. The Redux, I don't care for at all.

david lloyd jones

scrabbling around this am enjoying n various piles for a film that in the end i never found.
found this though
'night of the juggler' 1980, set in nyc about an ex cop chasing the kidnapper of his daughter.
forget the director, nobody real famous in it, but terrific ghetto wastelands, decrepitude, filth and freaks from before the cleanup.
scummier than death wish, taxi driver or thevwarriors.
it has gang fights, dog mauling, car stripping, creepy dynamic between nut job kidnapper and child victim.
rough ost.

after watched taxi driver-it seemed postively clean.

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: theotherjohn on July 29, 2017, 02:33:38 PM
Megan Is Missing was a shit film, I'm not surprised you deleted that last post Keith!

I was going to edit it for something then didn't... I know I've seen the film once & other than the torture scenes, it wasn't worth remembering but I do like the idea of what it is. A made-for-tv movie that turns into pure exploitation. I wouldn't mind checking it out again.

Last night was Suddenly in the Dark released by Mondo Macabro. Pretty cool Korean film from 1981. Kind of a slow burn but the final 10 minutes are wild.

Night of the Juggler is one I've never seen but really want to!

david lloyd jones

'night of the juggler' surprised me as something well worth more than the £5 payed.
this counterbalances stuff i have payed 'top dollar' for and been disappointed at.

david lloyd jones

this morning i watched 'human lanterns'  a shaw bros kung fu  delight that builds to crescendoes of noise, action and wierd.
never remember actors or directors when watch these tings but was entertaining fun.