Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lloyd jones

Quote from: KMusselman on June 27, 2017, 10:24:04 PM
In The Nursery just announced their soundtrack for The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari is included on a special Blu-ray edition of the restored film.

http://www.inthenursery.com/shop/the-cabinet-of-doctor-caligari-dvdblu-ray/#tab/-description

living in the states and this being Zone 2, what would be the best way that i could view this?  i use a PS4 as my Blu-ray player.

issues around multi regions are a headache.
is ps4 multi region?
assume buying multi region player too expensive.
clearly, outside licensing issues, disc releasing labels have to learn that multi or region free, expands your sales.

bitewerksMTB

220 Electronics is a reliable source for 'plays everything' Blu-ray players. Or you can get a BD drive for pc & software that overrides the codes. I recently read that is the most affordable way to do it.

I have an all reg. dvd player I bought from 220E & it's been great.  Fast shipping, etc. It's starting to get long in the tooth so occasionally it glitches up.

I just ordered the new Criterion bd of Straw Dogs! Anyone here need the Criterion dvd? Trade or sell.

bitewerksMTB

The machines are modified by 220 Electronics. There's another company called Bombay Electronics that does the same thing & prices are about the same, I think.

It's weird you have to choose the bd zones; why would anyone want all the dvd regions but not bd? Just make'em play everything & stick a price on'em.

Peterson

Blood Simple, dirs. Joel & Ethan Cohen (1985)
         OK, so forget the typical-Hollywood crap these guys have done otherwise, like O, Brother Where Art Thou (ham-fisted and contrived) or Intolerable Cruelty (no, thanks), Blood Simple is totally underrated and deserves a watch by anyone who's into film noir, Giallos, complicated murder thrillers etc. To me, it's their best work in pairing with Fargo. It's basically one of those noir-vibe stories where a murder plot spins way out of control, and folks die needlessly due to paranoia, etc. Reminds me of some kind of combination between a Dennis Lehane novel and an Alfred Hitchcock film. The cinematography is fucking gorgeous, though, killer scenery shots and colors that just nail the sleazy atmosphere perfectly. Plus, a young and smoking hot Frances McDormand plays a pretty badass character that might just be even better than her character in Fargo. If you liked that one and haven't seen this, there's no reason at all to skip this one, you will definitely like it.

More recent viewings: Factotum, dir. Brent Hamer (2005) - Matt Dillon plays a Charles Bukowski pastiche of the author, drifting through life looking for booze and trying to spend as much time as possible alone. Funny and oddly hypnotic but no real plot to speak of, worth only one viewing if that.

Leaving Las Vegas, dir. Mike Figgis (1995) - Everyone already knows all about this movie. Nicholas Cage plays another pastiche of the eponymous book author (John O'Brien) on his mission to drink himself to death. Good, but Elizabeth Shue is perhaps the stronger actor/performance here. Had to watch this because I've known too many folks that've literally drunk themselves to death. It's not this romantic in real life, not by a long shot.

The Exorcist, dir. William Friedkin (1973) - Needs no explanation. On previous viewings, didn't catch the detail that Father Karras' crisis of faith occurs not just because of his dilemma with his mother, but because he's gay. The detective compares him to Sal Mineo, to which he just smiles. When Father Dyer is playing piano at the party, he's nearly on a Liberace level of flamboyance, then later when consoling Karras and drinking, he removes his shoes and puts him to bed, lingering a bit before leaving (check out Ruth 4:8 in the Bible, in a Catholic context, this is a very intimate gesture). Later, Dyer weeps like a bereaved lover when giving Karras last rites. Toward the end, Regan's smooch on Dyer's cheek as a thank-you-for-saving me seems to come from Karras within her, which Dyer seems to recognize. I guess the "shove it up your ass, you faggot" comment from Pazuzu seems more appropriate now, heh...details like that are why I revisit the same movies again and again.

Bringing Out The Dead, dir. Martin Scorcese (1999) - Box-office flop that should've gotten the recognition it deserves, some of Scorsese's best work. Nick Cage plays an NYC ambulance driver who is seriously losing his shit, quickly. Takes a black comedy approach that's somewhere between Taxi Driver and The King Of Comedy in dealing with urban bleakness and the pointlessness of life - John Goodman and Ving Rhames give excellent performances as his paramedic partners in earlier scenes. One of the funniest movies I've ever seen, easily. To be fair, the approach to the soundtrack is annoying and grating, even for Scorsese, but it somehow works. The idea of ambulance drivers drinking on the job is just perfect...

martialgodmask

The Green Inferno - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2403021/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Modern day cannibal exploitation homage from the maker of Hostel? Actually, I really rather enjoyed it. It's by no means perfect and is unashamedly derivative but for the most part it is a pretty good "tribute". It teases brutality that it doesn't really deliver after hitting a gore-soaked zenith around half-way through. Mileage will vary, depending on whether or not you like cannibal movies, Eli Roth, modern horror.

holy ghost

The Greasy Strangler: my sister in law suggested this one, probably the funniest grossest weirdest movie I've seen in a while. It was FUCKING GREAT. I laughed through the entire thing. I don't think I've ever laughed that much during a movie ever. There were so many funny moments.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: holy ghost on July 02, 2017, 07:34:44 PM
The Greasy Strangler: my sister in law suggested this one, probably the funniest grossest weirdest movie I've seen in a while. It was FUCKING GREAT. I laughed through the entire thing. I don't think I've ever laughed that much during a movie ever. There were so many funny moments.

agree to the laughter allowed to this film.
massively funny, down to the crappy soundtrack-don't buy it on any format.
watch on any media and gurggle.

aububs

yeah the greasy strangler has that special something.

it has an odd ending which i didn't entirely understand if i recall correctly.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: aububs on July 02, 2017, 09:15:49 PM
yeah the greasy strangler has that special something.

it has an odd ending which i didn't entirely understand if i recall correctly.

waste the time gain and enjoy it but don't worry at the ending-if you laugh t,hen great, if not, boo hoo.
watqch something else.

.:Will:.

She is beyond hot in this season of Fargo. Also, best season since the first!
I actually think both the female cops are sexy in a weird way too.

bitewerksMTB

I seem to remember an ass shot in the first episode of Fargo by her. The show looses it towards the end. Just gets ridiculous.

I ran across one of Winstead's early films recently. She looked really young & played an ex-lush. I was hoping for some nudity but it never happened. I first took notice of her in some political comedy show that was on one of the major channels last year. I don't remember what it was called but she got to wear a lot of cute outfits.

Just received Criterion's Straw Dogs Blu-ray & just ordered Hitch-Hike from Raro USA. They're having a 50% off sale for July 4th. Just put in 'fourth' at check-out.

Watched Mad Max yesterday evening: "I'm the Night Rider, a fuel-injected suicide machine!"

ConcreteMascara

some new stuff and some re-watches:

Motel Hell (1980) - this was surprisingly great. human foie gras/beef jerky farm, sexual assault into consensual romance, hillbillies, chainsaw fights, swingers. you can't really ask for me. not a dull moment. though i don't drink anymore, i would've definitely enjoyed this one over a dozen beers or so.

Deranged (1974) - a liberal use of truth in the telling of the story of Ed Gein, this one is surprisingly relaxed in pace, giving room for the atmosphere of shitty ol Wisconsin. the narrator who enters scenes in a hilarious and nonchalant way is just amazingly weird, and looks a lot like Jemaine Clement from Flight of the Conchords. at times this comes off as a tamer Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but that's not really a serious complaint. definitely worth watching if your into serial killer history.

From Dusk Till Dawn (1996) - i saw parts of this as a kid but i remembered basically nothing. i have mixed feelings about Robert Rodriguez and Tarantino and unsurprisingly i had mixed feelings about this movie. i really was into the first 45 minutes of hardcore crime movie, but when the big changes happens after the half way point, i had a tough time giving a shit. i'm all for silly movies, but the tonal shift was just hard for me to digest. still, glad i finally watched it.

Alien: Covenant (2017) - saw this one a while ago in theaters. definitely continues some of the dumb writing trends from Prometheus, and its substantially less grand in scope and visuals, but i enjoyed it more on the whole. closer to Aliens than Alien, although not quite that balls out. i'll never tire of watching idiots get killed by xenomorphs.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

david lloyd jones

just picked up blu of ''I drink your blood'
first seen a few years back as boot of ? grindhouse releasing dvd.
early 70's indy horror that is a standout and still entertains today.
usual type of extras.

just watched 'anabelle' a cheap but really enjoyable pastiche of giallo films.
not as arty as 'berberian...', 'the strange colour', or 'amer' but better then some other low budget euro films- fully formed , if self consciously odd plot twists. visually a treat.
seems a one man show of music, script, editing, filming, etc...