Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lloyd jones

david lloyd jones

just purchased and looking forward to tonight's viewing:
'the climber'  joe dallesandro staring in itallo crime from mid seventies.
also looking forward to the 'little joe's adventures' interview of his euro film experiences.

next up lamberto bava's 'delirium' 80's giallo/slasher.with boobalicious serena grandi, the other extras are of little interest.

bitewerksMTB

Haven't watched much lately but Saturday night it was Mondo Macabro's dvd release of ASWANG. Pretty good U.S. horror that would be nice to have as a Blu-ray. The film could use a good HD scanning & color correction.

online prowler

hounds of love

next up here is this aussie flick. judging by the trailer, there is potential here.

https://tribecafilm.com/filmguide/hounds-of-love-2017

Hakaristi

Saw this last night, highly recommended! Stark kitchen sink Oz crime like Snowtown spiced with some Ian/Myra, Paul/Karla action, heh heh.

bitewerksMTB

Hounds of Love looks promising & I would like to see Snowtown again.

Last night, I caught The Coen Brothers debut film, Blood Simple, on Turner Classic Movies. It's the new HD scan Criterion Coll. did & it looks great! Recommended if you're into crime flicks.

Also caught most of Black Snake Moan which is just crap. The only reason to watch is Christina Ricci in dirty white panties & half-top. Other than that, it's just crap.

online prowler

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 17, 2017, 02:51:03 AM
Hounds of Love looks promising & I would like to see Snowtown again.

Last night, I caught The Coen Brothers debut film, Blood Simple, on Turner Classic Movies. It's the new HD scan Criterion Coll. did & it looks great! Recommended if you're into crime flicks.

Also caught most of Black Snake Moan which is just crap. The only reason to watch is Christina Ricci in dirty white panties & half-top. Other than that, it's just crap.

Snowtown is hard throbbing cock. Blood Simple is a true classic, Haven't seen Criterion's remaster yet.

Christina Ricci.... noted. cutie panty heaven.

absurdexposition

Need a revisit of both Snowtown and Blood Simple soon. Loved the shit out of the former when I first saw it, and yet somehow nearly forgot about it until its mention here.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

david lloyd jones

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 15, 2017, 07:54:25 PM
Haven't watched much lately but Saturday night it was Mondo Macabro's dvd release of ASWANG. Pretty good U.S. horror that would be nice to have as a Blu-ray. The film could use a good HD scanning & color correction.

the mondo macabro aswang is, i believe
, Philippinenot usa.
there is a us aswang from a few years later.

blu ray upgrades of the mondo macabro stabl would be good.
missed mansion of madness

david lloyd jones

got round to watching recent purchase-
'pitstop' by jack hill, director of spider baby and various blacksploitationers.
out coearly too late for the drag racingfad and too early for a nostalgia crowd, it shows a side of california not reached by the peace and love in san fran and los angeles.
it's being black ab
nd white adds to the sense of displacement and the core message of fucking people over to get where you want was definitely not what late sixties pre altamont wanted to hear.
pick it up cheap if you can

absurdexposition

Quote from: aububs on May 23, 2017, 11:46:20 PM
new twin peaks.

fuck.

Couldn't stop once I started and already blasted through the 4 episodes that are out. Much more Lynchian than the original series. It's a very slow burner. Pleased that there is very little fan service here.
Montreal, QC

bitewerksMTB

I've never been a Lynch fan & I don't know if I've seen any episodes of Twin Peaks but it seems like I would have checked it out when it originally aired.

Recently, I've re-watched Blue Velvet & Mulholland Drive; parts of BV I like & the only reason to sit through MD is to see Naomi Watts nude. I have Eraserhead on my dvr right now but it's a film I only like to see every few years. I think this will be the first viewing of the Criterion's HD release. The soundtrack is excellent.

This coming weekend, Vinegar Syndrome will be having a 50% off sale plus free shipping within the U.S. Overseas shipping is a flat $15. Starts Friday! They will be releasing two yet-to-be-announced movies, as well. I would recommend Pigs, Luther the Geek, & The Undertaker.

absurdexposition

Not a huge Lynch fan by any means, but there's some kind of magic in that first season of Twin Peaks... nothing really like it.
Montreal, QC

martialgodmask

Quote from: absurdexposition on May 24, 2017, 01:09:12 AM
Quote from: aububs on May 23, 2017, 11:46:20 PM
new twin peaks.

fuck.

Couldn't stop once I started and already blasted through the 4 episodes that are out. Much more Lynchian than the original series. It's a very slow burner. Pleased that there is very little fan service here.

Agreed on all points; I'd imagine it near inpenetrable for newcomers. Might encourage them to go back and watch from the start first, but can't see it picking up many new fans and may even lose some long-time revellers. Compelling, intriguing, disorganised and nonsensical, with broader shades of Lynch than before. Looking forward to seeing how it develops (or doesn't, as the case may plausibly turn out).