Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitewerksMTB

Criterion's release for The Brood has AWFUL artwork!

Severin Films has a great line-up of releases this year & they're pretty good on prices. Vinegar Syndrome is probably the best. They do it all including transfers of orig. film negatives for other companies. A lot of their films are not films I need to own but I'm always interested to hear about what they're doing. Every Black Friday, they do 50% off sales with free domestic shipping.

Code Red has a lot in the pipeline but that guy is nuts. I'm hoping he'll get Cry of the Prostitute out this year, fully uncut. Same with Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker & Rituals.

Last night was Angst & Messiah of Evil.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on March 10, 2017, 09:33:54 PM
Criterion's release for The Brood has AWFUL artwork!

I won't argue with that. I did like the unique take on the Scanners art though. but it's heard to beat the Videodrome packaging. the other more recent Criterion that was really nice was Repo Man. recent being the past 4 years at this point :/
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

david lloyd jones

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on March 10, 2017, 04:13:24 PM
Quote from: david lloyd jones on March 09, 2017, 09:25:25 PM
Quote from: ConcreteMascara on March 07, 2017, 09:25:05 PM
Quote from: aububs on March 07, 2017, 07:49:46 PM
i'd like to see a movie with michael ironside and john saxon as twin brother renegade cops on the wrong side of the law.

when they're father is murdered by a vicious drug kingpin, two twin brothers must set aside their differences to reap vengeance upon their father's killer.

John Saxon's character is informed at a seedy, rundown local bar. so drunk he can barely accept what he's hearing. Michael Ironside is informed by JS, through the locked door to his psych ward cell. Michael always knew the creeps got him kicked off the force and locked up were still out there killing the innocent. When JS breaks him out, MI now has the chance to get revenge for their father, and maybe even clear his own name....

someone come up with a catchy title and lets pitch this shit!

surely 'double justice' or 'twice the payback'

"Double Justice" with the tagline "THIS TIME IT'S... TWICE THE PAYBACK"

haha

cr

david lloyd jones

Quote from: cr on March 11, 2017, 06:20:34 PM
Previous week at work demanded to watch Falling Down again.

if your work demanded, then you have a shifty job.

cr

Quote from: david lloyd jones on March 11, 2017, 06:38:58 PM

Hehe, yeah. Or I'm responsible for a team of people who will never get along, it seems. But all are perfect in playing the victim and confront me endlessly with their complaints about each other.

So, enough whining - fuck 'em all!

david lloyd jones

Quote from: cr on March 11, 2017, 06:57:25 PM
Quote from: david lloyd jones on March 11, 2017, 06:38:58 PM

Hehe, yeah. Or I'm responsible for a team of people who will never get along, it seems. But all are perfect in playing the victim and confront me endlessly with their complaints about each other.

So, enough whining - fuck 'em all!
fuck 'em all, indeed.
whilst powerful, there is a sense that 'falling down' is about the dignity o labour, and so, contrary to it's usually held individualist message.
likely what makes it an important film to discuss.

bitewerksMTB

Late last night was Takashi Miike's best film, Audition.  I had completely forgotten about most of the climax! Definitely a film one needs to go into knowing as little as possible.

I think I'll have to track down a copy of Arrow UK release as the US Blu-ray gets awful reviews.

online prowler

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on March 12, 2017, 08:37:04 PM
Late last night was Takashi Miike's best film, Audition.  I had completely forgotten about most of the climax! Definitely a film one needs to go into knowing as little as possible.

I think I'll have to track down a copy of Arrow UK release as the US Blu-ray gets awful reviews.

'kitty-kitty-kitty!'

david lloyd jones

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on March 12, 2017, 08:37:04 PM

will be easy enough and if quick you will get one of the steelbook covers

bitewerksMTB

Lucio Fulci's Cat in the Brain aka Nightmare Concert! Watched the Grindhouse dvd for the second time since purchasing it upon its original release. The only detail I remembered about this film was the car crushing scene. Now, I'm thinking I need the 3-disc GH Blu-ray set because this thing is such a giant heap of gory trash.

And I want to see Leandro Lucchetti's Bloody Psycho as scenes from it are used in C.i.t.B.

david lloyd jones

today's haul includes 'the love witch', currently fêted and , for me, the following film of Anna biller who did 'viva' with such attention to early 70's aesthetics that make me look forward to this.
also got, 'Helga, she wolf of stilberg' and 'bare breasted countess' eurocine smut of excellence.
Greg Araki's'mysterious skin' and the forger waters/Ron geesin soundtracked docu 'the body' round up today's haul.

bitewerksMTB

The Silent Scream & The Unseen- S.S. is from '79 & T.U. is '80. Both films have some common elements: tame murders in big ole houses & fucked up family members. S.S. has a little more creepy atmosphere but by the time it's over, I felt like I had watched a Lifetime movie. T.U. has some seedier themes such as incest & domestic violence but most of the film is a bore. The killer in S.S. is a mute female in the attic & T.U. has a big, dirty, diaper-wearing retarded man-child in a filthy basement. Seriously. An overweight retard in a dirty as hell white t-shirt and diaper! S.S. stars Barbara Steele & T.U. stars Barbara Bach.

david lloyd jones

'the love witch' was as interesting as hoped.
magical and femail currents added make a successful film with both humour and reality a successful current.

bitewerksMTB

Is there a lot of nudity in The Love Witch? That's all I thought when I watched the trailer.