genre-genre

Started by calaverasgrande, September 17, 2017, 09:04:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calaverasgrande

I'm once again really fed up with genre.

As a consumer of music and various audio artforms. It's kind of helpful to find stuff that is along the lines of musics I've enjoyed previously.
But then it is also not.
The Rock, Rap, Indie etc genre labels are about 30 years out of date. And the hyphenated sub genre shit is just ludicrous.

Thats just a bunch of crabby old man shit. Whatever.

However as an artist I just keep coming back to genre like a hatefuck lover. When I'm on my things making things, I do not really think of genre. I just start doing stuff, and it sometimes comes out as a melodic kind of happy thing. Or a slow, mean heavy thing, or a violent noisy thing.
Even my more song-type executions do not slide comfortably into synth-punk or industrial-rock or whatever.

But then I do like to play out. If for no other reason than to her my stupid shit played at concert volume. And see a lot of dissapointed faces, and one or two sociopathic individuals who totally get it. So I have to go suck some promoter-booker ego dick. Jump through hoops and classify myself into one of these things so they can put me up on some bill with other acts.
It feels so high school.
Are you a jock or a greaser?
'I'm an indie shogaze-black-metal drama club nerd.'

Like HNW. Was there a soft noise wall first, then HNW had to be born so someone would beat up soft noise wall?
Or how it seems like lately nobody want's to be called a noise artist anymore.
'I'm a modular synthesist'.

calaverasgrande

not on facebook.
Sorry I stepped on your record collector nuts.

online prowler

Totall off the point, but whatever:

What's 'a greaser'? I don't get that slang here in Scandinavia... I kind of enjoyed the linguistic image of that word. Also... that piece of gear you have on your profile mug shot looks interesting... would you care to relate what it is?

Cementimental

Quote from: calaverasgrande on September 17, 2017, 09:04:29 AM
Like HNW. Was there a soft noise wall first, then HNW had to be born so someone would beat up soft noise wall?
No, there was Harsh Noise first then bunch of goths started making some emo scrap metal + delay music and calling it 'Harsh Noise' so people had to make the label 'Harsh Noise Wall' to describe what I always thought harsh noise was anyway, then HNW became an internet meme and people started making soft bass squarewave rumbling with fetish/horror movie/anime/FEELINGS and OBSESSIONS on the cover and calling it HNW, and then multiple 'subgenres' of HNW appeared when people decided to 'innovate' the form by adding things that aren't a Harsh Wall of Noise because nobody would listen to their HNW on bandcamp.

"I chose be part of the most intentionally boring music genre possible and now I am bored how I'd this happen."

"hey check out my new HNW subgenre "Soft Music Dynamics" !!!"

"GUYS IF I PUT BEATS ON MY HNW IS IT STILL HNW?"

Nonsense but then where can you go from the most deliberately anti-everything meaningless genre anyway? What's to do with a genre where the Dilbert-détournement webcomic parodying it has more 1000s more fans than the actual music being parodied? :D

Deadpriest

I could never figure out why Wolf Eyes' Burned Mind was called noise rock...
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

Zeno Marx

Quote from: online prowler on October 10, 2017, 06:54:06 PM

What's 'a greaser'? I don't get that slang here in Scandinavia... I kind of enjoyed the linguistic image of that word. Also... that piece of gear you have on your profile mug shot looks interesting... would you care to relate what it is?
from The Outsiders and the great movie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outsiders_(novel)
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Duncan

Because it came out on sub pop who presumably value selling new products to their existing audiences over accurately sub categorising them.

Satansjugend

I really don't see the point in discussing all of this. Genres just make it easier for me to find shit that I'm into listening but besides that I really couldn't care less about it.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: Zeno Marx on October 11, 2017, 10:19:10 PM
Quote from: online prowler on October 10, 2017, 06:54:06 PM

from The Outsiders and the great movie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outsiders_(novel)
greaser-post rocker but pre biker

Deadpriest

Quote from: calaverasgrande on September 17, 2017, 09:04:29 AM
I'm once again really fed up with genre.

As a consumer of music and various audio artforms. It's kind of helpful to find stuff that is along the lines of musics I've enjoyed previously.
But then it is also not.

No I think it is, things aren't being made more vague are they?

Well I think your point is that they are but only really after the fact; I have no examples of what you're talking about but it seems that your problem is people's attempt to be more precise and if you're just categorising on top of other categories it's hardly changing it into Chinese.

holy ghost

Yeah, I hate when I like something and then people categorize it with similar things, making ti easier for me to find other stuff I like.

I mean come on fellas. Why make things easy when they could be a lot more complicated?

Deadpriest

Even whither you come to terms with existence or not doesn't matter; existence is there no matter what and it never goes away; we are all one and sharing the same experience, nothing ends but the good news is that nothing stands still either.

Parroted platitude?.. Nien.