Ministry 'Antifa'

Started by calaverasgrande, September 16, 2017, 03:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calaverasgrande

I came across this today. Result of a totally unrelated search.
http://youtu.be/-JoQNxty80g

Of course I though of you guys.
Can't quite follow the lyrics. Is he pro antifa, is he taking the piss. Or doing that aggravating thing bands do where they attempt to strike a middle position vague enough to appeal to both people pro and/or anti?

Ministry has always been kind of vaguely anti-authoritarian. But not specifically political.
Anyone privy to the actual lyrics so we can denounce, endorse, ridicule?

Old Banyan Tree

I think Al Jourgensen supports antifa if I am not mistaken. I guess all the recent incidents in the U.S have forced people to draw the line and choose sides.

Rhan-Tegoth

Never really cared for their music, but afaik the guy was always anti-republican at least and worked with Jello Biafra for example, so I guess it's pro antifa.

calaverasgrande

I can't believe how formulaic his music is now. Though it does start out kind of Sabbathy, so that is something new.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: calaverasgrande on September 16, 2017, 05:07:51 PM
I can't believe how formulaic his music is now. Though it does start out kind of Sabbathy, so that is something new.

given that ages  ago as 1000 homo djs he covered 'supernaut' then no.

Johann

The project with Jello was called Lard, I prefer it Ministry (who I'm not a huge fan of). he's definitely a dedicated lefty...though unfortunately I feel that the approach is a bit juvenile...I remember being really bothered by all the bands using GWs' face on albums (not that I ever agreed with Bush or any republican/captailist ideals). But it's really such an over simplification to really place the blame solely on the puppet and not critique the whole system.

I suppose the former sells more records than the latter. For those into Lefty Punk though, I highly recommend Lard. Jellos sense of humor is prevalent throughout and it's a fun and generally catchy thing, I don't rate it as high as DK overall but it's still worth a listen.

XXX

He did a song based on the occupy Wall Street movement.

https://youtu.be/pWKfXxwmYpQ

Doesn't quite live up to the land of rape and honey era eh?

calaverasgrande

I tried to dig up some lyrics on the song.
All I can find is some patreon type shit where you can pre-buy the album and get some kind of special collector nerd box set, along with a preview of the liner notes. But you only get a glimpse of the first few verses unless you pony up.
http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/ministry/updates/85743#project_update85743_comments

Rhan-Tegoth

Quote from: Johann on September 16, 2017, 05:54:45 PMhe's definitely a dedicated lefty...though unfortunately I feel that the approach is a bit juvenile...I remember being really bothered by all the bands using GWs' face on albums (not that I ever agreed with Bush or any republican/captailist ideals). But it's really such an over simplification to really place the blame solely on the puppet and not critique the whole system.

Guess that's because leftists rarely get smarter with age. If you follow an ideology for your whole life, it's very hard to admit you were wrong, even when reality becomes the falsification of your ideals.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Rhan-Tegoth on September 16, 2017, 10:16:07 PM
If you follow an ideology for your whole life, it's very hard to admit you were wrong, even when reality becomes the falsification of your ideals.
As is for either "side", learned behavior, or learned belief system (ie religion etc).  People often run on momentum; set in motion via parents or their youth experience.  Before you know it, gaining humility and nuance in your systems is out of the realm of likeliness.  As impossible as that might seem, I see that straight-line trajectory everywhere and all the time.  I'm sure there's some sports link in here somewhere.  Breaking rank is a powerful social pressure.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

calaverasgrande

Quote from: Johann on September 16, 2017, 05:54:45 PMhe's definitely a dedicated lefty...though unfortunately I feel that the approach is a bit juvenile...I remember being really bothered by all the bands using GWs' face on albums (not that I ever agreed with Bush or any republican/captailist ideals). But it's really such an over simplification to really place the blame solely on the puppet and not critique the whole system.

Guess that's because leftists rarely get smarter with age. If you follow an ideology for your whole life, it's very hard to admit you were wrong, even when reality becomes the falsification of your ideals.

I think you are just taking pot shots here.
In Al's case I'm more inclined to think that whatever his personal politics might be are irrelevant. Ministry and a lot of other hot topic friendly bands sell a bland anti-authoritarian posture. Devoid of actual positions on things or actionable content. It's just this equivocal 'govt is bad' without anything to really back it up. At least a lot of the squatter punk bands would try and present some context for their anti-authoritarianism. Such as labor rights, anti-capitalism, racism etc.
The hot topic fuck government thing works really well with teenage angst and all that. While not being specific enough to alienate right or left leaning people.
Heck, got read the comments on that 'Antifa' video and see how many righties are surprised and butthurt that uncle Al would side with Antifa.
Guess they thought his anti-government shtick was a libertarian thing this whole time?

eraciator

I think David Harvey and Paul Mattick definitely got smarter with age.

It's quite hard to gauge relative intelligence with junkie rockstars. If that's your vision of left wing, you're missing out.

holy ghost

Quote from: Rhan-Tegoth on September 16, 2017, 10:16:07 PMGuess that's because leftists rarely get smarter with age. If you follow an ideology for your whole life, it's very hard to admit you were wrong, even when reality becomes the falsification of your ideals.

Replace leftists with "basically anyone that takes a hardline stance on either political spectrum" and I'm in complete agreement....

calaverasgrande

I think that there are things which require a hard line stance.
When people were dying of AIDS back in the 80's and 90's and politicians were hesitant to do anything about a disease which at the time disproportionately affected gays, junkie and immigrant people of color, a hard line stance was called for.

I'll respect certain unequivocal positions that people take when they are willing to actually stick their neck out, and not just hide behind a keyboard online.
That said there are a lot of identity positions people promulgate that are kind of bullshit.
MRA and fat rights people come to mind.
As well as religious people who claim they are under attack because the world doesn't revolve around them.

Rhan-Tegoth

Quote from: eraciator on September 17, 2017, 02:04:49 AM

I think David Harvey and Paul Mattick definitely got smarter with age.

It's quite hard to gauge relative intelligence with junkie rockstars. If that's your vision of left wing, you're missing out.

So did Samuel Huntington, but he is also not representative for all conservatives and right-wingers, just like the two theorists you've mentioned are not representative for antifa & co. Of course there are intellectuals on either side of the political spectrum that are miles apart from those who demonstrate on the streets, throw stones and burn stuff etc. Like user Johann said, that approach is very juvenile and not constructive, being "for" something is always better than to be "against" something. A similar example for such a "political" musician (not a junkie, though) would be Alec Empire from Atari Teenage Riot, that guy seems to be stuck with the mind of a 17yrs old anarchist.

And I also agree with Holy Ghost that you find such stubborn hardliners on the other ideological side as well - not to speak of religious fanatics.