Commercial Nightmare

Started by slugbait, September 15, 2017, 06:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slugbait

It was bad when Iggy Pop's "Lust For Life" was used to push a cruise line.  It was worse when New Order's version of "Ceremony" was used to sell Absolut vodka.  Somehow this seems beyond both.  I don't know if my anger is directed at KIA or whomever owns the Motorhead catalog and sold the song but I'm angry all the same.  Consumerism at its absolute worst.  What's next?  Rudimentary Peni's "Flesh Crucifix" for Outback Steakhouse?  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqDb_5hs0v8

(If this is the wrong forum section, I apologize.  I didn't know where else to post it)

SiClark

I completely understand your annoyance for such things but 'Ace of Spades' is a very over used song in film/tv and seems to have been used in at least 6 adverts before this crappy Kia one.

slugbait

Quote from: Si Clark on September 15, 2017, 06:22:23 PM
I completely understand your annoyance for such things but 'Ace of Spades' is a very over used song in film/tv and seems to have been used in at least 6 adverts before this crappy Kia one.

Oh, well, shit.  I didn't know that.  This was the first time I'd heard Ace of Spades VIOLENTLY appropriated by a company of any kind.  I guess it caught me off guard.  Enough to comment anyway.  I'm not surprised but I am disappointed that Motorhead will now find a whole new fanbase of people who own multiple Coldplay CDs.

Duncan

I saw Suicide's 'Cherie' being used on a perfume ad recently.  Guess once Vega croaked it was open season and Rev is getting his dough now.

slugbait

Quote from: Duncan on September 15, 2017, 06:50:40 PM
I saw Suicide's 'Cherie' being used on a perfume ad recently.  Guess once Vega croaked it was open season and Rev is getting his dough now.

I don't like the sound of that at all....

slugbait

On the other hand, this little subculture-into-pop culture moment was pretty great.  I think this is from the March 30, 2005 airdate episode.  I remember watching this live which was weird because I don't watch a lot of Jeopardy.  Neither Alex nor the contestants had any idea of the significance of the categories.  Someone working for the show, someone in the know, must have snuck these in there and had a hell of a laugh. 

I can't seem to enclose the picture so just scroll down on this page to the Double Jeopardy round and look at the last three categories. 

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=248

zd313

just gotta say Suicide in a perfume ad.... would u wanna spray that on yr body???? they're losing it...

Deadpriest

When I think of Ace Of Spades by Motorhead I think of children's game shows and lots of running around.
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

Johann

While I understand your frustration and disappointment, I am personally baffled by the idea that Iggy, Motörhead, New Order/Joy Division are somehow sacred and wouldn't be used in commercials. It's all fairly mainstream pop music, and all the groups have had huge sold out crowds world wide...maybe Joy Division a little less so but they're music was recently used in Stranger Thingss and Unknown Pleasures tshirts sell at every mall in America to non fans. New Oder has worked with films quite a lot and Iggy has put out all kinds of stinker albums and supported acts such as Sum 41. It's also likely none of these artist own their music, after all we are talking about an era where recording companies were still huge parts of releasing records.

I don't think your concerns regarding RP should be concerns, as melodic and somewhat poppy as they may be they don't have any forseeable commercial appeal...I feel like their name will prevent their logo from ever being sold at stores such as forever 21 and whatever else. I can see the look on the children's faces now " what?? Peni..."

I would suggest that you stop watching TV if it really irks you. Problem seems like it's mostly concentrated in that format.

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: Deadpriest on September 17, 2017, 11:19:15 AM
When I think of Ace Of Spades by Motorhead I think of children's game shows and lots of running around.

When I think of Ace Of Spades by Motorhead, I think "time to fucking headbang!"

I don't give a rat's arse about any ad because they're only there for a few seconds then they're gone. All advertising sucks. But if Fast Eddie, the only living member of the band that recorded that classic track, gets an extra billion dollars from that ad I hope he revels in it. On the other hand, if some vile record company execs get an extra billion dollars from that ad I hope they all catch rabies.

This worrying over this or that little advert goes too far. The whole industry should be rounded up and turned into soap and lampshades. Anything less than that is morally unacceptable.
Shikata ga nai.

slugbait

Quote from: Johann on September 17, 2017, 04:23:29 PM
While I understand your frustration and disappointment, I am personally baffled by the idea that Iggy, Motörhead, New Order/Joy Division are somehow sacred and wouldn't be used in commercials. It's all fairly mainstream pop music, and all the groups have had huge sold out crowds world wide...maybe Joy Division a little less so but they're music was recently used in Stranger Thingss and Unknown Pleasures tshirts sell at every mall in America to non fans. New Oder has worked with films quite a lot and Iggy has put out all kinds of stinker albums and supported acts such as Sum 41. It's also likely none of these artist own their music, after all we are talking about an era where recording companies were still huge parts of releasing records.

It's not that they're sacred per se that is the problem.  Or, my problem anyway.  It's not even about "selling out" really.  It's more of the old feeling that when you saw some guy roaming the high school hallways in a Motorhead shirt or a Joy Division shirt, or Discharge, Antisect, Doom, Nurse With Wound, whatever, you knew there was an immediate kinship; he or she was an outsider too.  It was an important symbolic gesture that not only indicated musical taste but pointed the type of person they are and are not; the type of person who is unsatisfied with the audio garbage being force-fed to us all and is willing to seek out art that reflects and expresses who they are.

At their heart, these types of bands were anti-establishment.  As Jack Grisham of TSOL said, "You didn't make music to get on the radio; you were never going to be on radio.  You didn't make music to make money; you were never going to make money."  They all made the music they wanted to make and in so doing, went against the grain because integrity meant more than fame and wealth.  In that sense, it's a little disconcerting to see marginal music used to sell mainstream products to the masses.  Or see these t-shirts in malls. 

Now, if TSOL's "Code Blue" is used in a funeral home commercial, well, I think I'd like that very much. 

david lloyd jones

can't see why people are getting so taxed by this phenomenon.
so irrelevant and so irrelevant to the core sounds of this page- nothing of which will grace any advert.

Rhan-Tegoth

Quote from: slugbait on September 15, 2017, 06:14:39 PMIt was worse when New Order's version of "Ceremony" was used to sell Absolut vodka.

New Order sold their souls very long ago already.

https://youtu.be/Tta6bAeN_Tk

Johann

On a slighty related note, and more in line with the discussion that takes place on this forum. I've heard of some noise/industrial being used in television (I think something similar to CSI) and horror movies. I remember seeing Session 9 and only realizing years later that Climax Golddn Twins and Burzum were the soundtrack...now, I personally am not a fan of soundtrack music generally and don't really care if a group focuses some of their energies (after all it's theirs to expend) into producing them.

Many groups produce music they make available to TV (with no particular show/commercial/movie in mind) as kind of a current 'library music' (paid if used, sits on the shelf if not) and I wonder if people feel like it is different if it's used in a secne of some movie or show as opposed to a Kia advert. be it a serial killer in some crappy csi or silence of the lambs where hip priest is playing in the bacmground as she searches the dark for buffalo bill.

ONE

I seriously doubt anyone related to the band gives a damn.  It's important to remember Lemmy himself advertised car insurance on British TV a decade ago (one minute he was discussing his cover, next, having been spotted, he ordered six crates of vodka and a barrel of whipped cream ...).

As someone on here said in reply to people profiteering from rare cassettes: Don't work hard - work smart!  I would jump at the chance to advertise some piece of Made in China wearing nothing but a lurid green thong 3 sizes too tight, and for a cool "20G's, I'd laugh my way to the bank.
resist the things you can find everywhere