THE SOUND OF HATE compilation series

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, August 24, 2017, 04:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Just re-visited volume 4 of THE SOUND OF HATE. Should check out if I am missing any parts of the series.  This whole series is good example of something what is missing these days. I can't really see anyone doing something like this. Tape compilation series, which has international interesting names, obscure projects, probably secret side projects. Of course you got Nyrkki & Kyrpä three volumes. Or labels like Styggelse doing something not very far from this. But series which go for up to almost 10 tapes? Probably not.

The way these tapes are compiled is also clearly well thought. It's not about putting artists one after another, but often mixing multiple tracks of same artist into different places. And it appears like compilation is not sampler. Not compilation of seemingly random tracks, but creation of album. Compilation are circulating, probably ferric tapes dubbed and redubbed, sometimes with questionable level tape decks, but nevertheless, they appear so solid and strong.

Vol 4:
-The Grey Wolves    Powerpulse    3:35
–Anenzephalia    Deutschland 1920    4:48
–New Mind    Heaven's Light    2:33
–33*    Cacultocophony (Extract)    4:40
–Taint    #1. I    4:03
–Another Headache    Factory Floor    7:22
–Sonic Sadist    Extracts From Dog Love    4:58
–Anenzephalia    Gas Chamber Music    5:53
–Another Headache    A Piece Of Wendy    8:46
–Taint    #2. II    7:03
–New Mind    Sense Net    4:28
–The Grey Wolves    Sympathy Is Weakness    3:10
–Baader-Meinhof Wagon    Konsumterror    2:39
–Baader-Meinhof Wagon    Konsumterror

In this comp you got anything from raw and harsh brutality to industrial beats and atmospheric soundscapes. I could see that artists like Anenzephalia could probably be cautious of releasing tracks like Deutschland 1920, when it's simple synth pulsations and speaches etc, but fucking hell how powerful tracks appear from compilation! Sonic Sadist dog love samples, Another Headache's atmospheric industrial beats, huh... Absolutely brilliant.

Any comments for other parts of series, or reminders of other good tape series. NICE NOISE or IDEALISTIC IDIOT by Nihilistic Recordings?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

SOUND OF HATE volume 6: Japan
Another great part.
-King Of Pigs (K.O.P.)* Assweet  7:21 
–24 Track Loop Collapse  6:01 
–Mackerel Can Moulding Company* A New Continent Of Morality (Ode A Charles Fourier; Extract)  15:58 
–Thirdorgan Psychomoter Domain  9:45 
–MSBR Maximum Weapon  7:56 
–Aube Torrent  8:43 

A-side is fairly obscure. K.O.P. used various names, and I have at least one of the Kultur Operating Penis -tapes in collection. 24 track loop -project, I have no idea what it is. Mackerel Can Molding Company includes guy who did noise as NP even during late 90's. Has been member in Gero-P as well as The Gerogerigegege. Good stuff through entire side. Sort of more industrial-noise of the Japanese 80's style.

Seems like the b-side is more known Japanese noise stuff, what anyone into 90's Japanese noise should be familiar with. Fierce strongly panned harsh noise from Thirdorgan. Lacking the bassy crunch and final punch that some Japanese masters have, but fast moving texture and damage levels are good. MSBR adds punch, heaviness, strong electronic fullness to whole spectrum of sound. Especially strong bass and usage of "fancier" effects, like echoes, is opposite to high pitch and raw electronics of Thirdorgan.
Finally Aube... If we talk about first half of 90's, is there possibility Aube could fail? I think his first years were pretty much pure gold. Only later one, releases started to be little hit & miss. Track called Torrent. Is it sound of hate? Hmm... maybe not so much. Fast moving torrents of blasting water. Not so much dripping, just loops and high pressure freeflowing streams of distorted water. Always good.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

zd313

i think the B.O.T.C. comp tapes kinda fit this; or would you say thats more of a "over all sampler" and not as much "curated approach"??? i would like to get most of the Sound Of Hate joints, if just for fun/collecting style... they all look great, and it is cool how u can tell they tried to make each one kinda a coherent thing. i feel like pre-web these were way way more necessary; i do think a lot of us still remember hearing new bands on comps tho and spending years looking for whatever we could find if we even could.

and about can Aube fail in the 90s, no not really.... esp when hes doing something as simple as manipulating water. isnt there one more SoH "japan" themed one, or am i wrong here???

seems to me like the HATBAND comp tapes, maybe even some STYGGELSE comps are somewhat going for this????

one thing about Sound Of Hate was the idea to mix different "regional noise" styles in a coherent/flowing manner, and also throwing in complete one offs with now classics . like SOUND OF HATE 4 u got Taint/Sonic Sadist, Anenzephalia, GWs... then a bunch of stuff that is kinda only on that tape.