Merzbow Top Hits

Started by Strömkarlen, December 29, 2009, 03:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno Marx

Merzbow - Akasha Gulva 1996 - I found this one to be less monolithic than what some are leading it to be.  A 74-minute live recording of metallic, industrial, uncompromising and relentless ferocity.  I see that it is mixed at his studio.  Kind of wonder if it is the result of a straight performance or if it has been merely sourced from the live recording.  Either way, it's focused, powerful, and great.  Top level Merzbow satisfaction.

Merzbow - Space Metalizer 1997 - I don't think I'd consider this a favorite, but there is some great metallic harshness and sharp noise here - it's a bit busy and with some sounds that aren't at the top of what I want from Merzbow in particular, but they aren't crap either - I can definitely listen to this one and be satisfied.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

holy ghost

Relapse has Venerology DLP up for pre-order on their store w/ 20 minutes of bonus material.

If you're the sort of person who needs an upgrade for their CD....

PTM Jim

Quote from: holy ghost on January 16, 2019, 03:19:24 AM
Relapse has Venerology DLP up for pre-order on their store w/ 20 minutes of bonus material.

If you're the sort of person who needs an upgrade for their CD....
Thankfully Relapse is doing it and not some other label. They should have also done Pulse Demon because they would have made more than 400 copies and it not be gone in 10 seconds.

Cementimental

Quote from: Kayandah on May 15, 2018, 03:48:49 AM
I'm surprised Pulse demon sold so quickly, I'm sure Relapse issued a few versions on CD and whilst it might have been a lot of people's first exposure to Merzbow it has been followed by a slew of releases that surely have diluted his name. So to see 400 copies go in a couple of hours was a surprise, i just hope it wasn't a case of vinyl collector hipsters who want it as an art piece to show off

I'm not surprised, Pulse Demon is an internet meme and this version was released for the vaporwave scene not the noise scene, those guys actually buy records. Half of them probably don't even own a record player.

holy ghost

I ordered the "deluxe" version of Pulse Demon with the cassette, got dinged for customs fees ($40) and then they shipped the poster separately and got dinged AGAIN for customs fees ($25)  plus the initial insanely high postage making it the most expensive record I have ever purchased in my life (except for the Orde from Chaos box) .

So yeah - I'm glad Relapse is doing it, and I'm sure they'll do a run of Pulse Demon themselves unless they sold the rights instead of licensing it? I dunno how that stuff works.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Cementimental on January 16, 2019, 11:17:08 AM
Quote from: Kayandah on May 15, 2018, 03:48:49 AM
I'm surprised Pulse demon sold so quickly, I'm sure Relapse issued a few versions on CD and whilst it might have been a lot of people's first exposure to Merzbow it has been followed by a slew of releases that surely have diluted his name. So to see 400 copies go in a couple of hours was a surprise, i just hope it wasn't a case of vinyl collector hipsters who want it as an art piece to show off

I'm not surprised, Pulse Demon is an internet meme and this version was released for the vaporwave scene not the noise scene, those guys actually buy records. Half of them probably don't even own a record player.

preach. I actually like a lot of the whole vaporwave thing but it's nerd collecting of the highest level when you talk about physical releases. i got into it early on and some of the stuff I have is now sold for stupid money. and maybe half of the people who buy physical copies actually listen to them. it's a digital genre so honestly the digital files are the most sensible way to listen, so the physical releases generally feel like collectors' items rather than items for home listening.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

holy ghost

I had to google vaporwave because I didn't actually know what it is :|

Anyway I was thinking about the comments in this thread and isn't it funny that when I was younger I had no money and lots of time to listen to records and now I have money to buy whatever crazy Merzbow LP reissue I want and barely have time to listen to records. I do most of my listening to downloads of LPs I buy at work or commuting to work or running errands. :|

Zeno Marx

Looks as if Relapse rifled through a couple hundred pre-orders right quick.  Did James Plotkin do the other recent Merzbow vinyl issues?  Noisemrbyo and Pulse Demon.  Great choice.  Most importantly [to me], does Relapse press their records at GZ or somewhere here in the USA?

I'll have to look up vaporwave.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

bitewerksMTB

When I sign into Discogs & click on 'new releases', 30-something of the 85 shown are fucking Merzbow. Six releases already for 2019!

DSOL

got my shipping confirmation for my Venereology pre-order today
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

DSOL

Quote from: Zeno Marx on January 16, 2019, 07:23:46 PM
Looks as if Relapse rifled through a couple hundred pre-orders right quick.  Did James Plotkin do the other recent Merzbow vinyl issues?  Noisemrbyo and Pulse Demon.  Great choice.  Most importantly [to me], does Relapse press their records at GZ or somewhere here in the USA?

I know the latest Dying Fetus album they released was pressed at GZ - I would assume all their records are pressed there

Strangecross

Quote from: DSOL on February 22, 2019, 08:35:53 PM

Where?

in case people have not herd of Merzcast: www.merzcast.com
I am not affiliated with merzcast but I would like to see what people here think about it.

absurdexposition

Quote from: Strangecross on February 22, 2019, 10:36:51 PM
I am not affiliated with merzcast but I would like to see what people here think about it.

I've been enjoying the Merzcast quite a bit. The historical and personal anecdotes are interesting and it's nice to hear people's genuine enthusiasm about it all. After the first episode I couldn't wait to get home and check out Tauromachine, which I hadn't heard before. Will keep listening for sure.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

DSOL

Quote from: Strangecross on February 22, 2019, 10:36:51 PM
Quote from: DSOL on February 22, 2019, 08:35:53 PM

Where?

Relapse

https://store.relapse.com/item/67770

they put the preorders up in mid January

the Merzcast is great - the 2nd episode had me revisit Green Wheels, I'm hoping for more episodes with albums I'm not familiar with so I can expand on his catalog

Zeno Marx

Quote from: DSOL on February 22, 2019, 08:39:17 PM
Quote from: Zeno Marx on January 16, 2019, 07:23:46 PM

I know the latest Dying Fetus album they released was pressed at GZ - I would assume all their records are pressed there
Thanks.  I'm sure you're right.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.